Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Human Resource Manangement...to a career in mediation??

Options
  • 27-02-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey

I am hoping someone can help me with some queries I have regarding future careers in mediation and the MSc in Human Resource Management in Smurfit.

I am a final year law student however I don't want to become a solicitor or barrister. I had recently been looking into master courses in business and after attending an open day in Smurfit I was taken by the MSc in Human Resource Management. I had already been contemplating a career in mediation, and this course seemed like it would be relative. (I've listed the modules available in the programme at the bottom). I think that given the optional Employment Law and Managing Conflict in Organisations modules, this course may be suitable. Furthermore, there is the option of an exchange programme, which if completed I would graduate with both the MSc in Human Resource Management and a European Masters in Labour Studies.

Does anyone know if this course would be a good stepping stone into a career in mediation? I am aware that there are other more specific courses available, however Smurfit has a good name, and the course would provide me with other options than those dealing specifically in mediation, which may be good given the current economic climate. Also, I have been told that mediation is something which people typically enter into after they have established themselves, rather than at post graduate level. Would this be an issue?

I am aware that the masters course would not be enough to achieve a career in mediation, but would it be relevant? What optional modules would anyone who knows this area suggest to study?

Really appreciate any advice given!! smile.gif

MSc in Human Resource Management

Core
    Concepts in IR and HRM
    Employment Relations in Ireland
    Human Resource Management
    Optional (4)
    Employee Resourcing
    Employment Law
    Gender Equality & Diversity
    Managing conflict in Organisations
    Managing Workplace Learning