Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston scientific

Options
  • 27-02-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows the hours and shift patterns followed at Boston scientific in Galway.
    Can't find any info on the web at all.
    Thx in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

gonphishin wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows the hours and shift patterns followed at Boston scientific in Galway.
    Can't find any info on the web at all.
    Thx in advance!!

Nearly all 24/5 shifts now....
    Days, Evenings & Nights - 8hr shifts starting from 6.30;6.45;7.00;7.15 until 14.30;14.45;15.00;15.15.

Staggered shifts depending on which area you are working in..
    Evenings & Nights staggered to suit these times as well...

There are some 12hour 24/6 shifts still, but these are being phased out..

Best of luck...!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

Thanks a mill for the info there.
    Shame the 12 hr ones are being phased out-you end up with more time off on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You needed the time off after those 12 hour shifts. They were killers. BSI worked you hard. You earned every cent.

Just wondering if the 8 hour shifts are rotated and how often?
    Are the days of the week that you work also fixed permanently?
    Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Shifts in BSCI generally do not rotate. Something that they just don't do. The shift you work is never permanent, as these change according to what the factory needs to do to optimise it's use of manpower, and other reasons. You could happen, however, to work a certain shift for several years.

• Advertisement

Hmm. Slightly crappy. Could end up on permanent nights. I guess that's where the vacancies will be as well. Do they close down for the weekends & Xmas?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

Hi, just wonderin what would be the take home pay per week working as a product builder/line assembly starting off with no experience in boston in galway, i see on the recruiter website its 415 per wk, would this be take home pay or is there much taken off it for tax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

hi i had the assessment on thursday and have an interview tomorrow, can anyone shed any light on the interview process? i will study up on the company but just wondering is there anything else i should research?
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

ronman wrote: »
    Hi, just wonderin what would be the take home pay per week working as a product builder/line assembly starting off with no experience in boston in galway, i see on the recruiter website its 415 per wk, would this be take home pay or is there much taken off it for tax etc.
    hi i had the assessment on thursday and have an interview tomorrow, can anyone shed any light on the interview process? i will study up on the company but just wondering is there anything else i should research?
    thanks!

Where were these jobs advertised? Was there a recruitment agency?

stevveyg wrote: »
    thanks!

I interviewed last month but unfortunately didn't get the job.
    They asked a lot about past projects. Make sure u have some good ones lined up with positive outcomes. Use the star technique. Google it if youre not sure what it is. Just a way of telling a story I guess so you don't wander off the point. Come across as being efficient, team player, friendly.
    Expect a half hour chat with two people.
    Best I can do for advice I'm afraid. Let me know how u get on!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What is the job you are interviewing for if you dont mind me asking? Just interested in getting in there myself and finding recruitment leads since i never hear anything back from the agencies i am registered with. Cheers.

thanks all for the advice, i only heard about ice recruitment agency last week so i sent off a cv. They rang me last wednesday morning and more or less interviewed me on the phone to see if i would be suitable to be put forward for the assessment which i had on thursday.
    The position is just for a general operative on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah yes i have heard of ice recruitment before. Thanks for that. Best of luck with the interview hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Any update on the interview situation?
    I'm going doing the aptitude test tomorrow for BS

well i had assessment last week, maths english and 2 dexterity tests,
    6mins to answer 30 true or false questions i think it was, very easy

then read a few passages and answer questions, again straight forward

then dexterity tests included placing staples with a tweezers into a little board kind of a thing, place as many in it, over 3mins, u get 2goes and your best score is recorded.

the interview was 20mins long, just asked about education and work experience and what do you know about the company,

i had a medical today and another quick interview in boston

Cheers for the info, so the whole process will take up to a week so roughly by the sounds of things

ya but the lad i met in boston was surprised at how fast i was being processed, it usually takes longer than a week, but i hear they are getting really busy

Well, passed the aptitude test, have an interview tomorrow with ICE, yer wan told me to research Boston Scientific. I presume that means get a general outline of what they do, nothing too detailed like hopefully.

Waiting patiently to get the phone call to say "yes come in for the medical, you maverick renegade you!" (or something like that)

im starting monday on a training week then after that im working monday-wednesday 3 12 hr shifts

• Advertisement

Not so bad! Did ICE ask you what shift you would prefer? I said I'd prefer evening shift but if there are night shifts I'll take those too.

they did and they asked me in boston too, i chanced my arm at day shifts because i play alot of sport, and luckily enough i got them, but i expect they could change after a while

Not so bad, they didn't offer me the choice of the day shift, just either evening or night, so I went for the evening shift.
    Still waiting for the all important phonecall, grr!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

Going for the interview tomorrow. Any ideas what to expect like what kind of questions will they ask?

Be warned, unless they changed it was easily the worst job I ever had. The work is absolutely relentless, breaks taken to the minute. you will work non stop from the moment the shift starts to the end. That I could handle but the attitude of the Quality staff and certain trainers and supervisors really killed it for me. Make a mistake and you were hit with a corrective action. They had no interest in finding out why or how a mistake happened. It was all about blame. There are several little Hitlers working there. It didn't just happen to me. On one occasion a mistake was made, they couldn't figure out who did it so they pinned the blame on everyone in the vicinity. Several people were suspended for one mistake including a couple of ten year veterans. One of them cleared her name and got an apology out of them.

Frankly I got out of there even though I didn't have a job to go to. It felt like leaving prison. Make no mistake I was well regarded there and made some good friends. But it was getting to me.

Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

In fairness, it's not space hoppers they are making in there! If you ever need one of those stents you'd be damn happy for the high level of quality in production! :)

I know what you're saying though, I have a few friends that work in there and they all say how tough they work you, but the pay is good and so are the benefits.

Eviledna wrote: »
    In fairness, it's not space hoppers they are making in there! If you ever need one of those stents you'd be damn happy for the high level of quality in production! :)
    If you want high quality then a blame culture is the worst possible way to get it. It was all about blame in my experience. I never saw that approach in any other company I worked for. It's counterproductive as staff will be inclined to hide mistakes rather than report them. Worse still when mistakes were made, there was rarely any interest in preventative action. It was all about blame and disciplinary action.

I hope they've changed since.

Perhaps it has changed since, as my buds that work there are more of the opinion that the head honchos are trying to get everyone involved in the process to be accountable for the role they play in creating a medical device. They reckon that it's instilled in everyone that if someone fups up, they could be killing someone whose body that device is heading for!:eek:

I guess for the point of this thread that it's important for peeps to know that a job in a medical device company is almost as stringently monitored as if you were working in medicine itself. They do expect people to know the consequences of any mistakes and enforce a very high level of QA at every level of the job, especially process operatives. Translation: you work hard for the money and have to concentrate all day. Feck-ups are taken very seriously as there are lives at stake.

As someone whose close family member was saved by a stent, I am grateful for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Eviledna wrote: »
    Feck-ups are taken very seriously as there are lives FDA approvals at stake.

Fixed your post.

• Advertisement

That's true, too. :) But with so many people working in Boston Scientific in Galway, is that a bad thing? Without FDA approval for the products manufactured there, there would be much longer dole queues...

Advertisement