Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston scientific

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

Just wondering what is the hourly rate for an employee in boston...Is it minimum wage ?? Also just wondering could you get weekend work to fit in with college ??

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

trepasers wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the hourly rate for an employee in boston...Is it minimum wage ?? Also just wondering could you get weekend work to fit in with college ??

Its €420 p/w for day shift, with shift allowances for evening & night shifts.
    From what I hear if they get any hint that you're a student they wont take you on as they're looking for full time workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carmiep101

Sorry cant seem to post "quotes".

fun.bobby1981 and Thargor, I had recieved an email about 3 weeks after I submitted it online saying that they would be in contact with me, and a name at the bottom. Everytime I ring to speak to the person whoose name is at the bottom of the email she is unavailable and I hear the same replies each time. She is the contact for Boston too. Going to try it one more time now tonight and see if there is any outcome. If not will try the neighbour.

skinandblister I'm gonna do it that way now, as it looks like I wasn't successful, (but will try it one more time via email). Now just to wait for the neighbour to come back from her holidays.
    fun.bobby1981 good luck at your second interview and medical.

Would really have loved to have a chance at this would have loved the chance to be offered the evening or night shifts as would have really fitted in with family life.......oh well gotta keep trying, no-one likes a quitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

From what I hear if they get any hint that you're a student they wont take you on as they're looking for full time workers.

and roughly how many hours would you be workin for that ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Company announces that they are cutting 1,400 jobs out of 25,000 worldwide. Not clear how it will affect its Irish operations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

That €420 is after one years service,not straight away.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Company announces that they are cutting 1,400 jobs out of 25,000 worldwide. Not clear how it will affect its Irish operations.

Theres clear outs like this every year with boston & going by past lay offs,i doubt it will be of product builders,its usually indirect staff such as middle management (which boston has a lot in ireland & worldwide)

As far as galway goes,boston is in a great position,loads of new products being produced over the next few years in galway.

last time around it was a mix of direct and indirect, 120 product builders out of 250 total

Ya i know that,i knew people who were let go.
    Boston have been taking on up to 30 people in a go for maybe every 2nd or 3rd week since feb/march this year for new projects.Theres loads of new products coming on stream in the next few years.It looks promising for the Galway plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sunlig

I had the medical on Tuesday. It consisted of blood pressure, blood test, urine sample, ECG (checking your heart), eye test and hearing test. Also a few questions on your medical history.

Anyone know how long they take to get back to you after having the medical?

What are they looking for from the bood test and urine test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Drugs i'd imagine from the urine. Maybe medical conditions like diabetes etc from the bloods?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

sunlig wrote: »
    What are they looking for from the bood test and urine test

Not entirely sure, but what was posted above me is probably why. I'm guessing to see what medical conditions you have (if any), maybe to check you havnt lied about not having any also possibly to decide where to place you in the company their not going to put you doing something which may aggravate any medical condition you have. Also I suppose drugs. If you have nothing to hide and are competely honest about everything then you have nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Modern blood urine tests check for absolutely everything anyway not specifics, they run it out on a test plate and every major drug or disease you can think of shows up as spots on the plate. Not sure if weed is included in that though as Ive known some serious stoners who've worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

barryd09 wrote: »
    That €420 is after one years service,not straight away.

barryd09, I got the €420 figure directly from the ad on icejobs. That must be the starting salary otherwise they couldnt advertise it as such - http://www.icejobs.ie/view_job.asp?job_id=1063

What I was told by I.C.E is that you get €420 gross then if your doing the eveing shift you get an extra 20% and if your on the night shift you get 29%.

What I was told by I.C.E is that you get €420 gross then if your doing the eveing shift you get an extra 20% and if your on the night shift you get 29%.
    barryd09, I got the €420 figure directly from the ad on icejobs. That must be the starting salary otherwise they couldnt advertise it as such - http://www.icejobs.ie/view_job.asp?job_id=1063

Evening shift is 20%
    Nights is 25% not 29%

You dont get €420 a week working days in boston straight away.
    You get a rise after 6 months & again after another 6 months,THAT will bring you up to €420,for day shift.

actually the night shift allowance is 27.5%

actually the night shift allowance is 27.5%

Apologies,thats correct actually,it was 25% for nights when it was 3x12 hour shifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Evening shift is 20%
    Nights is 25% not 29%

You get a rise after 6 months & again after another 6 months,THAT will bring you up to €420,for day shift.

I have a mate, who started there last week as a production operative, he hasn't worked there before.

He was told that he will be paid €520 gross p/w for the evening shift.

I have a mate, who started there last week as a production operative, he hasn't worked there before.

He was told that he will be paid €520 gross p/w for the evening shift.

The important word is 'gross',thats not going to be his take home pay.

Not sure why people get so caught up on gross pay,net is whats pays my bills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

The important word is 'gross',thats not going to be his take home pay.

Not sure why people get so caught up on gross pay,net is whats pays my bills.

Precisely, gross is the important word.

Whereas net wages may be what pays the bills, the gross amount that a employer pays is the only relevant figure in a discussion such as this.

Theres people who think they get €420 pw for working days straight in the door,and they dont.
    As most will know theres a world of difference between the gross figure and net figure when you consider the USC,pension contribution etc.

Theres some nice perks for working in boston!
    Free healthcare after 6 months,raise after 6 months,raise after 12 months,extra weeks wages on your 2nd xmas,quarterly bonus too.

Evening shift is 20%
    Nights is 25% not 29%

I was told that when I start I will be on €420 gross on a three month contract, so why would they tell me its €420 if I might not even be there after three months?

Also I agree about the gross, its the take home pay that matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I was told the same, €420 per week for an initial 3 months. The 3 months lead to full time work. Also, the way I see it is that €420 gross is still a hell of a lot better than the €188 from Jobseekers. I had an aptitude test last wednesday so I'm waiting for a call back.

Best of luck with it,AFAIK boston is busy,loads of new products/projects coming/already on stream.
    These recent layoffs are mainly of IT,Quality etc,not direct production staff.
    Theres SUPPOSEDLY 20-ish of the 1400 worldwide to go in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

so what is the takehome (net) pay for someone on dayshift/ evening/nightshift, i got a call 2 months ago after sendin cv to ice but was still workin in other job that i hate so she told me no point doin aptitude test til im ready to start there.
    tryin to stick it out as long as i can cos on gud money but im gettin dpresd think i would like boston for set handy hours/ reletively stress free job.would like to have an idea of what money id be on and be sure of job tho before i leave this ****ole im in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

[so what is the take-home pay]

No one can tell you: it depends on your tax-credits situation. Eg if you are a sole-parent or part of a joint-assessed married couple and your spouse doesn't work, then you would pay very little income tax on a job at Boston's typical starting salary. But that would be very different if you are single (living together or not), or if you have a tax-debt from a previous year. Etc.

Forget take-home pay when you are comparing jobs inside the same country. Focus on gross pay and cost-of-living only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A friend of mine who has been there 6 years or more, on evening shift, single, takes home 450

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

long shot folks, I've been off sick yesterday and today, just wondering if I need a sick note, can't for the life of me find me contract and the supervisor is out today aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

contact supervisor from the same room and leave him a message. it is important to inform them if you are sick.

Advertisement