Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double bed plans

Options
  • 27-02-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi guys im goin to build a solid wood double bed. Im just wondering does anyone know the sizes of the long side rails?
    Im mainly looking for its width and thickness and how high it does generally be from the floor to the bottom of the rail.
    Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I just made two double beds recently.
    The side rails should be about 1920mm. Floor to bottom of mattress should be about 300mm. Height to bottom of rail depends on the thickness of the rail.
    It all depends on the size of the mattress really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

there dosnt seem to be a set height on beds.depends on style. should be a good amount of info if you google ergonomics. done it a few times to get comfortableheights for different furniture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Just googled bed heights. These ranged from 18" to 36" (450mm to 915mm). If you want to make your bed to store a Nissan Micra underneath and your mattress is 2mm thick, then that's the height for you :o
    About 500mm to the top of the mattress is comfortable for putting your socks on and rolling out of bed (not in that order)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hi everyone forgot about this thread. Here are pictures of the finished bed.

I made it from oak and cherry and sprayed with three coats of laquer.

Great work!
    The cabinet in front of the built in wardrobe looks very interesting indeed.
    What height did the bed finish up from the floor?

• Advertisement

The bed ended up 500 from the floor to the mattress. The head board is around 1300mm high. Cant remember the height of the footboard. I must look up the Autocad drawings for the correct measurements of the bed I drew up

Here are pictures of that unit beside the wardrobes.

It made from lime, apple and walnut. All the dovetails are hand cut with a dovetail saw. Also the drawer boxes are solid wood with hand cut dovetails. I sprayed it with three coats of laquer

Beautiful showcase work. Wonderful proportions.

I love the way the inlaid Walnut gives the impression of many drawers - like an old typesetter's cabinet.
    Gorgeous dovetails - you just can't beat the hand cut dovetail - they always give a real air of quality and durability to a cabinet.

I am not 100% certain about the proportion of the drawer pulls on the small set of drawers - I think they distract the eye from the overall quality and lines of the piece.
    The pulls on the large cabinet work very well, in contrast.
    They emphasise the horizontally linear nature of the piece.

Showcase work! Wonderful proportions.

I love the way the inlaid Walnut gives the impression of many drawers - like an old typesetter's cabinet.
    Gorgeous dovetails - you just can't beat the hand cut dovetail - they always give a real air of quality and durability to a cabinet.

I am not 100% certain about the proportion of the drawer pulls on the small set of drawers - I think they distract the eye from the overall quality, proportion and lines of the piece.
    The pulls on the large cabinet work very well, in contrast.
    They emphasise the horizontally linear nature of the piece.

Ya I dont like the drawer pulls on the jewellary box either but they are what herself picked out of the Hafelee catalogue for it.. The skirting on the bottom of it actually pulls out and there is is a hidden drawer attached to it.

Ya I love the handles on the chest of drawers. This gets used everyday and would be lost without it now.

I made both units out in the back garden as my shed is so full of tools it's a pain in the arse to even get into at this stage.

• Advertisement

Ya I dont like the drawer pulls on the jewellary box either but they are what herself picked out of the Hafelee catalogue for it.. The skirting on the bottom of it actually pulls out and there is is a hidden drawer attached to it.

Ya I love the handles on the chest of drawers. This gets used everyday and would be lost without it now.

I made both units out in the back garden as my shed is so full of tools it's a pain in the arse to even get into at this stage.

I know the feeling. I recently dismantled a piano to save all that lovely wood - my workshack has been a nightmare since. I've got lovely bits of piano all over the place - getting to the tools is now a challenge, never mind using them safely.
    One of these days, I might actually use some of the stuff :eek:

I now use the kitchen table as the workbench to assemble stuff and glue up panels etc. Doesn't go down too well when there is a mess. My shed is only about 8' long by 6' wide and holds a proper wooden workbench that is completly covered up with all sorts, a planer thicknesser, dust extractor, record power router table, numerous tool boxes and all my other tools, leads etc.

I know almost have to take stuff out of it to get into it..

I think no matter how big your workspace, it will always fill up with stuff.

slowburner wrote: »
    I think no matter how big your workspace, it will always fill up with stuff.

Lol :-). That's the addiction to buying tools

Advertisement