Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making toasted sandwiches on a health grill?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am just home from Bangkok, and in the 7/11 shops they sell toasted sandwiches, made in the old fashioned toasted sandwich maker. Haven't had them in years and loved them.

So, I get back home, and pick up a cheapish toasted sandwich maker in Argos...not the same..leaves the sandwich soggy in the middle, and just doesn't taste good.

So, now I see one of these in Lidl http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110303.p.2000W_Low_Fat_Grill

Does anyone have a grill like this? I think is a george foreman type of thing, but the question is, are these type of grills good for making toasted sandwiches? Or are they only good for cooking meat, veg etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They're great for making toasted sandwiches. I have a George Foreman grill and I mainly use it for toasted sandwiches, ciabattas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I used to make them on a George Foreman grill all the time. They come out quite flat... but yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Yeah, George knows how to make em alright!
    And so what if they flatten!!! It just makes you believe you're not eating as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I like the flatness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

+1 we make toasted sandwiches / paninis on that type of machine, we used to have a good sandwich toaster but was donkeys years old and broke eventually. Bought a new one but they're crap, as you say leave the middle soggy. So I figured we'd try one of these and they work! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to fry sandwiches, put them on a very low heat and butter the outside of the bread. I also do them on george foremans -I find the george foreman crap, ridges are too deep and I have a different one which is sprung so forces itself against the food.

I broke a few teeth on toasties from regular sandwich makers, the way they make the corners and middle rock hard. I used to cook eggs in the regular sandwich maker!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the ridges actually interfere with the toasting process, I have used a Foreman grill and a Breville toastie maker and the flat plates on the Breville heat the bread more evenly, I don't have a problem with sogginess unless I use Tomato slices. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

Yea the George grill is great for toasting sandwiches. Better if you butter them on the outside ;-) (not too waistline friendly though!)

I sometimes put my toasted sandwich straight into the toaster (2 slices together with a slice of cheese and a slice of ham)... this is equally ask good if i'm in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Have to concur. The George Foreman makes a great ham and cheese toastie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

sakani wrote: »
    Yea the George grill is great for toasting sandwiches. Better if you butter them on the outside ;-) (not too waistline friendly though!)

I sometimes put my toasted sandwich straight into the toaster (2 slices together with a slice of cheese and a slice of ham)... this is equally ask good if i'm in a rush.

Would that not leak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

You can buy toaster bags for this. Basically make up your sambo, pop into a toaster-friendly pouch and put it into the toaster. They do a decent enough job and are reusable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GStormcrow wrote: »
    You can buy toaster bags for this. Basically make up your sambo, pop into a toaster-friendly pouch and put it into the toaster. They do a decent enough job and are reusable :)
    I use those bags on the foreman type grills, many of them have all the nonstick coating worn off them and those bags are brilliant to use instead, no cleanup on the grill just rinse the bag.

Also out of 4 toasters I tried none fit those bags properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

We made toasted cheese sandwiches for the first time on the George Foreman at the weekend, and they were great! Worked much better than the last actual toasted sandwich maker we had!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've been using the George Foreman grill to do this for years :)

Here's a trick for making toasties with Tomato in them.

I usually make Ham, cheese and tomato toasties.

I lay out the ham on one slice of bread, then layer the tomato on top of that and then the cheese on top of the tomato. That tends to help lock in the tomato juice and prevent the toast getting too soggy. You may still drip a little tomato juice but at least the sandwich isn't soggy.

When they are done then I usually open them and squirt in some brown sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Breville toater owns George foreman in this hands down

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Salami, cheese and tomato is amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mellor wrote: »
    Breville toater owns George foreman in this hands down

I assume you mean something like this one? :)

Can these be used to grill regular foods on as well? Do they have the ridged grill plates or are the flat?

Why are the so much better than the GF? I have great interest in any device of toasted sandwich goodness! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I assume you mean something like this one? :)

Can these be used to grill regular foods on as well? Do they have the ridged grill plates or are the flat?

Why are the so much better than the GF? I have great interest in any device of toasted sandwich goodness! :)
    These ones are more versatile, grill as well as make toasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GF is a grill for meat that is also pretty good at sandwiches

Breville is a sandwich toaster. Made for purpose.

The one you linked looks like this inside

220px-Sandwich_toaster_open.jpg

and makes these, fully sealed and tasty, but less versatile

toastie_5_ahero.jpg

Advertisement