Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next for the Candidates that failed to get elected?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

What might be in the future for candidates such as Mary Coughlan and the others that were not elected?

I have heard rumour of possibly being co-opted to the county council and such but I do not see that. I am of the opinion that Coughlan would not be willing to take a step down such as that. More then likely I thing she will try to get onto the Seanad or another higher profile type position.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The FF TD's that lost their seats won't have many options as Seanad members as their party will have no say in who gets elected to it and it's unlikely those with a history of incompetence will be put forward by any other party. They may get jobs with private companies but there are not many with any qualifications outside politics that would make them suitable. Those of the Green party would be suitable for roles within green energy companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

What benefits if any will they continue to receive after leaving office?
    Trying to get a job in the economy they created might let them know what everyone else is up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Brian O Domhnaill is in a very tricky situation now unlikely he will retain his seanad seat and FF will be looking to boost a candidate in the south of the constituency to fill the void of mary he is on the board of udaras but that isnt high profile enough for someone needing national exposure to further his career.

Mary will no doubt be appointed somewhere plenty of boards for her and favors to be returned.

I can see big frank leaving labour very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

cosanostra wrote: »
    Perhaps a case of Labour leaving big Frank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cosanostra wrote: »

he was complaining about the orgonisation not supporting him but really he'll never get a popular vote will he ?

if mary gets a seanad seat it will be a big reason to get rid of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

muffler wrote: »
    I cant believe they put him forward in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

muffler wrote: »

They should poach in BOD to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

<snip>

take it to the GE forum please,thanks

Homer

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

What about Big Frank just leaving??

Mary will be fine, She has plenty of contacts and will land a job that is somewhere in line with her portfolios.

As for BOD, HE'll have to learn to do a days work..

The person I worry the most about is Cllr.Brendan Byrne....Where is he going to hang out now that Marys office will be closed??? Every day I pass the place, He's stuck in there....and even in the count he was hanging off her...Whats he going to do??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

LoanShark wrote: »

The person I worry the most about is Cllr.Brendan Byrne....Where is he going to hang out now that Marys office will be closed??? Every day I pass the place, He's stuck in there....and even in the count he was hanging off her...Whats he going to do??:confused:

I could answer this but I will leave it for now... oh hang on did Mary not get him a job in the VEC? Or he can help her dig the asbestos out of the site in Letterkenny (imagine that was one of her last acts €6 million! that money would have done some improvement on the road between Mountcharles and Killybegs!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

fontanalis wrote: »
    What benefits if any will they continue to receive after leaving office?
    Trying to get a job in the economy they created might let them know what everyone else is up against.

Ms Coughlan, who has held five senior ministerial posts since first elected as a TD, does not leave empty-handed. She will be in for a windfall of over €300,000 for the first year and is set to receive an annual pension in excess of €130,000 for the remainder of her life.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/elections/results/donegal-south-west-defiant-coughlan-blames-ff-party-plan-2559028.html?

Just found that in todays Indo. I don't suppose she needs to work.

"I have given 24 years of commitment and I am proud to do so," she said, before being whisked away in a waiting ministerial car.
    One last trip I take it or has she to pay for the petrol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

"I have given 24 years of commitment and I am proud to do so," she said, before being whisked away in a waiting ministerial car.

Just a pity the commitment wasn't to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I think the BOD will be the main FF candidate in the next election and that he will get elected but not sure what he will do until then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Glenman wrote: »
    I think the BOD will be the main FF candidate in the next election and that he will get elected but not sure what he will do until then

Probably run around the county getting pictures taken outside half built schools/community centres/factories/businesses and then claim that it was
    him that helped obtain funding for them.

again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

seeing as they have their ministerial pensions I doubt the likes of Mary Coughlan has to worry too much about getting a job again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

Coughlan won't need to do a day's work for the rest of her life ( not that she would the meaning of the word anyway) due to the huge lump sum and pension she is line for. The woman was a national embarassment and the poster girl ( I know) for gombeenism. What next for her? Celebrity Come Dancing like Ann Widdicombe in England? Now that would be something to set the Sky + for.

Did you see the diffidence in the local papers regarding the results? Tuesdays Democrat I feel spent more time bemoaning Marys defeat while the Post had FF gravy train on the front cover regarding her scandalous payoff but sure what do you expect!

Secondly I hope people don't forget her behavior during the and after campaign as I have heard a lot of negative publicity about some of the houses she called to when the occupants said they would not vote for her (which wasn't many I would say as FF did not canvass many houses in the country) she had not the decency to wait for the result, never congratulated her opponents after loosing her seat but instead went on gufing about how FF had more votes than FG, she acted like a spoilt child she seems to thing she worked her socks of for the people of Donegal while in fact their have been more jobs and opportunity's were lost here in her time as Tánaiste and I hope we never see her running again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

she and Cowen + co. destroyed the lives of so many ordinary hardworking decent people who had spent several decades slaving away, and some who have lost all. That they ( the FF govt ) are the ones getting big pensions for the damage they done....there is something wrong when so many decent people would like to see them suffer.

Advertisement