Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Shed Ideas

• 27-02-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Lads right i have quite a large Barna Shed, 2 windows on the side the usual wooden set up. For 5 years I have been stuffing it with CRAP.
    My thinking is to make it a functional room if possible. Its fully wired up lights and all
    Ideas so far
    Secret Mans Bar ( so i can get slaughtered and talk out of ear shot from the misses
    Gym Area Function: Get ripped (ahem yeah right)
    Workshop Function: Fix stuff and keep nails and screws in jars
    Smoking room chill out area : Function Being a bum

Have any of you lads turned your wooden garden shed into anything cool?
    Im wondering because it has open draught areas would it be possible to put a tv in it without damp damaging it. I was thinking if i put a couch in it also it would it just get damp and mouldy? So is the only possibility just for tool storage.
    Is it actually possible to keep couches and electrical equipment in an outside shed without the tv circuit board blowing out or any materials getting damp and soggy? I dont really want to insulate it. I was thinking just to varnish the inside wood and slap in an air heater. Dont really want a lot off work. Seems a shame to leave such a large shed filled with crap. Any ideas? Any pics of your man sheds? I dont want to set up a small bar in it and a few months later be sitting on mouldy seats :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Or a small home brewery;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I havnt built my own man lab, but I have seen friends who have done their own. So long as proper preparation is made there should be no major problems with having a TV, though I wouldn't be putting your 32" flat tv in there. Maybe get a second hand telly cheap, as the dampness may affect it in the long run.

Also make sure the shed is really sturdy and secure. You can get very strong wind in Ireland(not sure what part of the country you are in), but particularly in the north and the west I have seen garden sheds filled with wood, be blown away in storms, so make sure it is secure before you go putting anything in it.

In any Man Lab/Chill Out Zone, I would say you need a comfortable seat, a source of heat, some form of entertainment, or something to do, and a pleasant atmosphere. On a cold and windy saturday afternoon it needs to be more attractive than the living room.

I would also put in either a small fridge with some beer, or if you have the room to invite a few lads over put in a keg and beer tap.

Are you interested in home brew? The shed is a great place for it. Both beer and wine are perfectly legal for your own consumption. I dont know the legality of making mead but its a fun activity, and can be done with minimal equipment in the shed.

let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

OK I think Ill go the home brew route. I actually have the barrells and stuff already. Now to clear it out.
    Yeah I have an old tv i could bung in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Ronan45; Congratulations on a wise decision! :D

Obviously, ye realise Home Brewing needs a ready source of water. Outside tap? Dedicated length of hose from outside tap?

Also, with some of our temperatures, ye'll need a heat source for the FV's, in winter ~ I use fish tank heaters. If ye like beer served cold? Then ye'd do well to knock up a chiller unit from an old fridge.

Craic is though; Ye can form ye own little 'Brewery / Tap' in there. Maybe partition the 'Cellar' from the 'Lounge Bar', just for aesthetics?

Keeping it warm and dry? My best bet would be a 'multi fuel' stove. Keep it ticking over and get it blazing when ye 'in residence'.

You on " Jim's " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 idrinkbeer

Don't know how big your shed is but I've been drooling over some of these for a while now.

http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?shedtype=Pub%20Shed

I've only got an 8x4 which is full of crap/lawnmower/half empty paint pots etc. Seriously thinking of buying another, same size and turning it into a small bar that opens onto the decking for the summer months but doubles up as a hideaway when it rains. For now, I'll put a fridge with home brew bottles but hope to move onto 'corny kegs' to serve draught beer and give it more of a pub feel.

I too am a bit concerned about damp etc. so if anyone has any cheap & easy solutions please let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I have 7 sheds all full of crap this tread giving me some ideas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

You need some Anti Fatigue tiles for the floor. These are crucial to your plans because when you can't stand anymore you'll be wanting to lay on the floor f'd up drunk and spinning. They are both comfortable and warm. I've tested them on a concrete floor in the dead of winter.

Here's some I just off loaded coz I'm moving away from my beloved "shed"... http://www.adverts.ie/1609196

Note: These are purchased under the guise of "sports equipment".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't forget a wifi connection for the pr0n!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Wilderbeast1

patwicklow wrote: »
    I have 7 sheds all full of crap this tread giving me some ideas :)

Seven? :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Pictures of chicks on the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

plaster slabs with insulation are quite cheap, and would make it very cosy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

A wood burning stove with a small hot plate so you can cook man food like tinned hotdogs tinned sausage and beans and tea while you are 'working'

Advertisement