Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christians & Pensions/Investments

• 27-02-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Prompted by the money lending thread, I have always been unsure of the notion of Pensions for Christians. On the one hand we are taught to trust in the Lord for all our needs, while on the other hand the Bible tells us to provide for our families...

I have a christian friend who works in the pensions industry and I sometimes pull this topic out if I feel like a good debate, but have never been entirely happy with the conclusions

Anyone got any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I would quantify putting money aside for the future in the form of a pension to be good stewardship of the Lord's money.

Then again, I work for a pension company...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." (1 Timothy 5:8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

PDN wrote: »
    "Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." (1 Timothy 5:8)

There's no mention of future provision in this verse. I would certainly agree that a Christian who is lazy and neglects his day-to-day responsiblities for his family is a poor (no pun intended) example of a Christian, but is it not a stretch to justify storing up treasure on earth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

keano_afc wrote: »
    I would quantify putting money aside for the future in the form of a pension to be good stewardship of the Lord's money.

Then again, I work for a pension company...

But not to the point of selfishness or disregard for the Lord's work I would hope? And where do you draw the line?

Advertisement