Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB timing out constantly

Options
  • 27-02-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Can someone please check for me why my BB connection is constantly timing out lately?!
    Is it because ive been moved to the new fabulous "uncongested" NGB?! Ive no idea when this happened, but my broadband connection has slowed down considerably within the last few months, and i get so many "Internet Disconnections" when trying to watch tv online that im ready to cancel Eircom BB completely, and switch to the dreaded Vodafone or Three!:eek:

I get better connection on my iPhone also with 3G than Wifi!!!:mad:

I signed up originally for 7mb with unlimited download, which would be great if i could actually use my unlimited downloads uninterrupted!!

I can pm my details to whoever might be able to look into this for me, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Can someone please check for me why my BB connection is constantly timing out lately?!
    Is it because ive been moved to the new fabulous "uncongested" NGB?! Ive no idea when this happened, but my broadband connection has slowed down considerably within the last few months, and i get so many "Internet Disconnections" when trying to watch tv online that im ready to cancel Eircom BB completely, and switch to the dreaded Vodafone or Three!:eek:

I get better connection on my iPhone also with 3G than Wifi!!!:mad:

I signed up originally for 7mb with unlimited download, which would be great if i could actually use my unlimited downloads uninterrupted!!

I can pm my details to whoever might be able to look into this for me, thanks.

Hi Cherrycola

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.ie. Apologies for any delay in replying.

If you are experiencing intermittent connection problems please take a look at our 'Broadband Checklist' below:

http://bit.ly/cTw6pU - 'Broadband Checklist'

This will help rule in /out whether this is an internal phone line issue, or an issue with the eircom network /or modem.

In other words, please put the modem on the Master phone socket (MDP), (usually found inside the front door of your house) and simply test the modem directly on the MDP without the adsl splitter.

When testing the modem in this way, ensure you temporarily remove the adsl splitter. Also ensure that you temp disconnect any 3rd party equipment from the internal phoneline system (i.e : sky box(s) (upstairs), fax, long private extensions /cables, etc.).

Please review the following URL on our Forum, which describes how to complete this broadband test :

http://bit.ly/cTw6pU - 'Broadband Checklist

It is important to try to complete the Checklist above, otherwise it may waste time if we need to escalate to an engineer.

Completing the 'Checklist' will also ensure that you are not accountable for any call out charges if an engineer is required to go out to your premises. Call out charges are applied if the fault is found to be non-eircom.

After this, if you are still experiencing intermittent connections please call Broadband Technical Support directly : 1890 260260 (lowcall); hrs : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon to Sun).

Once you call Tech Support, you will receive a case id (reference). If you need me to follow this up, let me know your case id.

Kind regards,

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thanks, but ive done all that previously to no avail. This has been a problem since i got eircom BB 12mths ago, and im telling you, its thats god awful new router ye are using thats the issue! The Zyxel pile of crap! :mad:

Ive just gotten a gift of one of the old Netopia 2247 from an ex-eircom customer, and the internet is now flying away, hasnt disconnected once, and speed is top notch, so fingers crossed it stays this way.

So a word to the wise, pass the message on to whoever is in charge of supplying those cheap ass routers and tell them to dump the lot of them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Thanks, but ive done all that previously to no avail. This has been a problem since i got eircom BB 12mths ago, and im telling you, its thats god awful new router ye are using thats the issue! The Zyxel pile of crap! :mad:

Ive just gotten a gift of one of the old Netopia 2247 from an ex-eircom customer, and the internet is now flying away, hasnt disconnected once, and speed is top notch, so fingers crossed it stays this way.

So a word to the wise, pass the message on to whoever is in charge of supplying those cheap ass routers and tell them to dump the lot of them! :rolleyes:

Cherry, would u mind telling me what speed you are on? I have the Zyxel router and struggle to get any higher than 15meg on the 24 meg NGB. My line is synced to 20meg according to Eircom but router still says 15meg. I actually have an old Neotopia here and could try hooking that up if I thought I would get a better connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Cherry, would u mind telling me what speed you are on? I have the Zyxel router and struggle to get any higher than 15meg on the 24 meg NGB. My line is synced to 20meg according to Eircom but router still says 15meg. I actually have an old Neotopia here and could try hooking that up if I thought I would get a better connection.

Hi jaykay2,

I apologise for the wait I ghave been looking into the issue and DSL connection I hope to have a resolution in a few days.

Thanks, Mark

Hi jaykay2,

I apologise for the wait I ghave been looking into the issue and DSL connection I hope to have a resolution in a few days.

Thanks, Mark

Fair enough Mark. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Fair enough Mark. Thanks for the help.

Hi jaykay2,

I was speaking with managers in broadband technical support and they stated that your DSL is synced at 20MB to try and maximise the best possible speeds on the line.

However your line has a maximum bandwidth of 15MB so the high sync is causing the disconnections you have been getting.

In order to stabilise the speed it may be best to lower the sync to 14-15MB.

Thanks, Mark

Hi jaykay2,

I was speaking with managers in broadband technical support and they stated that your DSL is synced at 20MB to try and maximise the best possible speeds on the line.

However your line has a maximum bandwidth of 15MB so the high sync is causing the disconnections you have been getting.

In order to stabilise the speed it may be best to lower the sync to 14-15MB.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the response Mark. In relation to your response, I am not having disconnects at the moment and the previous mention of disconnects were in relation to my xbox connecting to router via wi-fi. I was unable to get a satisfactory solution to that and so have connected my xbox via Ethernet and have had no problems with that since.

The problem I am now having is in relation to my download speed. I can tell you that when looking at my download speed through my router, it is 15meg and I solid as a rock. I know that when I was first put on the 24 meg package my router actually said that I was connecting at 20meg but I asked for it to be lowered to stop a few disconnects I had experienced. I would like to be able to try a higher speed to see I it is stable.

On the same note, what sort of speed is the Neotopia router capable of? I still have one here and if it woul allow me try the higher speed, I could set that up again?

Thanks again.

Jay

Thanks for the response Mark. In relation to your response, I am not having disconnects at the moment and the previous mention of disconnects were in relation to my xbox connecting to router via wi-fi. I was unable to get a satisfactory solution to that and so have connected my xbox via Ethernet and have had no problems with that since.

The problem I am now having is in relation to my download speed. I can tell you that when looking at my download speed through my router, it is 15meg and I solid as a rock. I know that when I was first put on the 24 meg package my router actually said that I was connecting at 20meg but I asked for it to be lowered to stop a few disconnects I had experienced. I would like to be able to try a higher speed to see I it is stable.

On the same note, what sort of speed is the Neotopia router capable of? I still have one here and if it woul allow me try the higher speed, I could set that up again?

Thanks again.

Jay

Hi jaykay2,

The maximum speed is down to the network/ line. The Neotopia will not allow for an increase in speed however it may help with the disconnections on your xbox if they re-occur in the future.

If you do have follow up issues let me know.

Thanks, Mark

Hi jaykay2,

The maximum speed is down to the network/ line. The Neotopia will not allow for an increase in speed however it may help with the disconnections on your xbox if they re-occur in the future.

If you do have follow up issues let me know.

Thanks, Mark

Fair enough Mark. So you are saying that despite the fact that I am set to 20meg download, something else is stopping my router from attempting the 20?

Just seems odd to me that in the past I was able to sync to a higher speed, even if it did lead to a few disconnects.

Does that mean that 15meg is the highest I will ever get from DSL on my line? To get any further speed increases I would have to consider cable broadband?

Thanks again.

Jay

Fair enough Mark. So you are saying that despite the fact that I am set to 20meg download, something else is stopping my router from attempting the 20?

Just seems odd to me that in the past I was able to sync to a higher speed, even if it did lead to a few disconnects.

Does that mean that 15meg is the highest I will ever get from DSL on my line? To get any further speed increases I would have to consider cable broadband?

Thanks again.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Yes I am afraid for the near future the line is limited to the 15MB capacity.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Jay,

Yes I am afraid for the near future the line is limited to the 15MB capacity.

Thanks, Mark

Right so. Thanks Mark. Would you mind syncing my line to 15meg again so.

Jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Right so. Thanks Mark. Would you mind syncing my line to 15meg again so.

Jay

Thanks for reply Jay. I have dropped your speed down from 20Mb to 17Mb. The sync and attainable rates look much better.

Let me know if you have any further problems.

All the best,
    Ant

Thanks for reply Jay. I have dropped your speed down from 20Mb to 17Mb. The sync and attainable rates look much better.

Let me know if you have any further problems.

All the best,
    Ant

That's great. Thanks very much Ant. I appreciate the help.

Jay

Advertisement