Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biker in Wicklow: Sun 27th

• 27-02-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭

Came across many bikers today on my cycle around Wicklow.

99% or them no issue at all, some even waved or nodded hello to me.

But there's always one Fuckhead who ruins it for everyone. Cycling between Laragh and Rathdrum he came up behind me, slapped the back of my head and sped off with his two other mates. :mad:
    If he's on here by any chance I'd just like to say the following to him:

1. You're fortunate I did not get your reg

2. If I had to brake or swerve suddenly to avoid a pothole etc I would have hit you because you were far too close and we both would have gone down.

3. Doing stuff like that does not make you cool, it makes you look like a complete tool who has no respect for others or for the rules of the road.

To any other bikers that may have passed me today, I hope you had a good ride, it was a great day to be out. :) (I had a boards jersey on ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was around the mountains on Friday at around 2pm till 4:30pm and saw a few bicycles, most gave me the nod which I returned.

But obviously the biker that gave you the slap is a complete tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

But there's always one Fuckhead who ruins it for everyone. Cycling between Laragh and Rathdrum he came up behind me, slapped the back of my head and sped off with his two other mates. :mad:

2. If I had to brake or swerve suddenly to avoid a pothole etc I would have hit you because you were far too close and we both would have gone done.

3. Doing stuff like that does not make you cool, it makes you look like a complete tool who has no respect for others or for the rules of the road.

To any other bikers that may have passed me today, I hope you had a good ride, it was a great day to be out. :) (I had a boards jersey on ;))

what a reckless cnut

riders like these are part of the reason insurance premiums are high as sooner or later they will be a statistic in an actuaries reference tables...

hopefully they wont take any innocent parties with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

What an ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Were you cycling two or three abreast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

KamiKazi wrote: »

Does it make a difference ? He was a twat for doing what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why would that matter?

But no, I was by myself.

why would that matter?

But no, I was by myself.

Because it's incredibly annoying to be blocked just because a few cyclists want to have a chat.

But if you were by yourself it's safe to say yer man is a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It doesn't matter if you're single file or five abreast, nobody has the right to give you a slap.

-Chris- wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you're single file or five abreast, nobody has the right to give you a slap.

Never said they did, just saying that'd be the most likely reason....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The most likely (only) reason is because the biker is a cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Two abreast being legal of course. Besides, I've never thought it an issue for a motorbike to pass cyclists.

-Chris- wrote: »
    The most likely (only) reason is because the biker is a cnut.

:pac::pac::pac:

Well put:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sounds like a complete prick. Deserves a nice knee in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I own a bike and never seen any other biker do that for a laugh.

If some spanner did that to me on a street it would be assault and the Gardaí would be involved.

I hope he does it next week to some guy with a black-belt in Judo.

Karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

what an awful pity you didn't get his reg. I'm sure that'd be a nice case of reckless driving and assault for the courts to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ah HTFU and get off the road with yer silly toys. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Well i disagree with most here.....and i dont apologise in advance if you're upset by my comments....

The amount of times i've been stuck behind these wa**ers cycling 3 and 4 abreast on the roads between Bray and Greastones (usually from now till october) ..holding up the traffic because Ms. learner wont cross the solid white line to overtake..:rolleyes:...if I had a fu**ing truck i'd drive over them...total lack of consideration for other road users...i'm sure when they're in their cars their attitude is completely the opposite...and dont get me started on them not using the cycle lanes that i've paid for...:mad:

Sids Not wrote: »
    Well i disagree with most here.....and i dont apologise in advance if you're upset by my comments....

The amount of times i've been stuck behind these wa**ers cycling 3 and 4 abreast on the roads between Bray and Greastones (usually from now till october) ..holding up the traffic because Ms. learner wont cross the solid white line to overtake..:rolleyes:...if I had a fu**ing truck i'd drive over them...total lack of consideration for other road users...i'm sure when they're in their cars their attitude is completely the opposite...and dont get me started on them not using the cycle lanes that i've paid for...:mad:

+1

I find it hard to believe the OP received a slap for no good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

+1

Unfortunately I can well believe someone getting slapped for no reason. How many times have you heard of some scum throwings eggs at people for no reason?

Regardless of what they did/didn't do, getting a slap from someone who is travelling at speed could cause serious damage.

IMO Biker was a feckin gob****e showing off to his mates! True hard man :rolleyes:

+1

The only reason was the biker was some scumbag who thought it'd be hilarious.

Not that I need to justify my behaviour on the road but:

I was as far to the left on the lane as I could be
    I was by myself so single file
    I was minding my own business, not veering around or anything, not blocking people and keeping a reasonable 25-27 kph.
    None of the other 30-40 bikers who overtook me had reason to gesticulate or otherwise express any annoyance.

Regardless of any consideration there is never reason to physically hit another road user. I came off as best I could, merely being startled by it, but I could easily have fallen and at worse fallen against him and caused us both to go down. Needless to say I would would have come off worse, with no protective clothing and maybe even being hit by the 2 other bikes directly behind him. Extrodinarily reckless stunt for a cheap laugh IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Terrible tragic thing to happen.

I hope the OP concerned makes a speedy recovery from this horrific slap around the lugs.

What sort of bike was it. Did he look like this by any chance

harley-davidson-fat-boy-flstf-and-terminator-2-judgment-day-gallery.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That biker was certainly a nob to do that. A huge amount of cyclists are unconsider exhibitionists. However, the issues are unrelated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Terrible tragic thing to happen.

I hope the OP concerned makes a speedy recovery from this horrific slap around the lugs.

What sort of bike was it. Did he look like this by any chance

harley-davidson-fat-boy-flstf-and-terminator-2-judgment-day-gallery.jpg

yeah cookie...perhaps he was just getting a dna sample to see if you were John Connor!

that or he was a foolish cnut.

I'm a biker myself but I'd like to see that happy slappy get his teeth kicked in the more I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

(I had a boards jersey on ;))

That explains it......they must have been from here....:D:D

http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

2. If I had to brake or swerve suddenly to avoid a pothole etc I would have hit you because you were far too close and we both would have gone down.

Sorry lad, I was aiming for your arse, it's them tight bike shorts you all wear they do bad things to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

People on pushbikes seems to have problem to realize what they are.
    This morning is an example. I was on my bike (the one with an engine on it) going in to work. I spot a person on a fancy pushbike (a la tour de france) in the bus lane. Something wrong with the bike-lane 2 dm to your left?

And as i came up to the red light you swished by giving toss about the traffic coming from the left. Surely, why would you? You are on a pushbike, you don't have to obey traffic-laws, now do you?

And going up around Sally/Wicklow gap it's narrow enough without people on pushbikes going 2 abreast doing 15-20 km/h discussing what weetabix is most nutricious.

Yes. I stereotype, but so do the people on pushbikes.

Regarding slap or no slap. I wasn't there, so i cannot pass judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a guy in a car buzzed any of you on your bikes close enough to give you smack on the back of your helmet, you'd be all in here raging about bloody cagers and how the biker should have caught up with him, dragged him out of the car and beat him to within an inch of his life.

Nice to see hypocrisy is alive and well. Bikers suffer from stereotyping just like cyclists do, and this biker doesn't do anything to dispel the common opinion that all bikers are just speed freak scumbags with no respect for the law.

If you had any respect for yourselves and consider biking to be an honourable priviledge, you would condemn this guy's actions, regardless of what the cyclist may or may not have been doing.

seamus wrote: »
    the common opinion that all bikers are just speed freak scumbags with no respect for the law.

I thought that was the truth? :D

Noone is condoning the guy's actions, it's hard to accept the OP's story at face value though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

it's hard to accept the OP's story at face value though.
    Really? How many bikers here had snowballs thrown at them during the snowy period? The OP's story sounds like a mild incident to me, certainly nothing unbelievable.

There are idiots everywhere with no concept of what is and isn't safe. Cyclists on account of us looking ridiculous and travelling pretty slowly are a common enough target for these muppets:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056190507

Bikers get away with it by virtue of having street cred in their leathers and travelling a good bit faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

What's not funny about the slap?? I'm wildly amused :D I hope it turns up on youtube

Advertisement