Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lense advice needed for Nikon D3100

• 27-02-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi Folks,Visiting b and h next week in nyc. I got a nikon d3100 a few weeks ago but i want to purchase a lense for it now. What would you reccommed...my hobbies are Football shots, motorsport and Landscapes. I know its a lot of different disciplines but is there a lense that i could use for all. My budget is 700 euro.Im not a pro so im not going to be spending thousands but Id like to be able to take pretty sharp images...Also what flash would you reccommend?Looking forward to answers,Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

For football and sports shots I advise you go for a 70 - 200 f2.8 lens. I think it is above your budget new but look for a secondhand unit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Funnily enough a telephoto lens is a good option for all three of your interests.
    With motorsports and football you obviously need to get in close.

With landscapes you can do interesting things with compressing perspective.
    This is often a lot more interesting than wide angle shots where you get big empty spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would go with that Sigma on that budget. I've heard great things about it. Half the price of the Nikon and apparently almost as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭evolutionix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

it'll be great during the summer/bright days ... but in low light conditions its unlikely you will get a decent image.

*it may be unlikely - but its still possible.

I don't know if there are any focus issues - sometimes the lenses can be slow to focus....and in low light these type of lenses tend to "hunt" ... meaning they seek and cant seem to lock the focus on a subject.

Advertisement