Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I need to do a 'photo shoot at home?

• 27-02-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'd like to try to take some 'professional looking' pictures of my two young kids myself. BEFORE people reply with jokes or say hire a professional here's what I mean-
    photos of them sitting/playing but with the plain (normally white) background.
    Good lighting
    no distracting background.

What material do people use, where do I get it, what kind of price is it?
    What colours do people normally use if not white?
    I guess a reflector would be recommended to improve the light?
    What else?
    I have a Pentax K-X, a flash and a few lenses- 17-250, 17-50 f2.8 and soon a 30mm f1.4. I guess the 17-50 would be the best lens for my 'shoot'?

I'm willing to spend a few bob but not buy lighting etc. I know I won't get as good as a pro in his/her studio but I'd like to give it a shot.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Everything depends on your budget and the “look” you want. And believe it or not a “plain” white background is one of the most expensive and hardest thing to get.

First of all you’ll need a background stand. Then you have two basic options in terms of backgrounds, the smooth and seamless paper, or creased and folded muslin sheet. The paper is far easier to use, but twice the price. I currently have the muslin. Which means getting that perfect portrait background is difficult. Head shots are easy, but the more of the background that is visible, the more creases and shadows become a factor. Blues and greys however are manageable. A bit of distance, setting a low aperture, and the problems disappear, leaving a simple coloured background. In total, no matter which direction you go, a set will cost you a couple of hundred.

You say that you don’t want lighting but I would advise it. It does make life easier and they are simple to use. Its very difficult to get 'professional looking' portraits without them. Again though, it will cost you a couple of hundred.

A reflector is vital piece of kit too. Getting a stand is handy, but not necessary.

I think another handy thing to have is a remote release. Allows you the freedom to interact with the small ones, without being to intimidating, or distant.

And last but not least, you will need space. Nothing worse than deciding to take a quick portrait and having to set everything up. A half hour spent putting things up and taking things down again, for just 5 min's of photography...its frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well oshead posted the setup he was using a while ago,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62931217&postcount=15

it'll be a good place to start.

Having tried something like what you want a few times I'd advise begging or borrowing a few extra flashes and some radio triggers, the cheap manual ones will be fine, then take lots of shots and experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Advertisement