Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only drink if you're gonna get locked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

Seeing as Im still young :) I do drink to get drunk, but some times I love heading into a nice warm pub sittin at the bar and havin afew.. prob is I hate stopping then so I do get drunk .. I cant even have a glass of wine with the dinner and I want to finish the bottle and head out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Meh, I drink because I genuinely enjoy the taste. I'm a whiskey person. Every now and then, drinking to get drunk is great, but for the most part I'd just have one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Moat of the time I drink to get p!ssed, but every so often I like to just have a few drinks with friends without getting too out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Sometimes it's nice to have 2 or 3 pints & leave it at that!

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

You're talking about the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth pint,right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Pace2008 wrote: »
    You and my 15-year-old self would have got along famous, OP.

promoting pedophilia is not an acceptable behavior on boards just wait two more years and its all legal

• Advertisement

I used to be like that up until a year ago.. Now I just drink a 5/6 beers most evenings and save the getting drunk for weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I used to be like that up until a year ago.. Now I just drink a 5/6 beers most evenings and save the getting drunk for weekends.

What are the recommended limits of alcohol drinking?

Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week (and no more than four units in any one day).
    Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week (and no more than three units in any one day).

A 500 ml can/bottle of standard lager (5%) contains 2.5 units.
    'Super-strength' or strong pale lager may contain as much as two units per half pint.

Assuming its standard beer that would be 5x2.5 units per day, making it 12.5 units of alcohol per day. Over 5 days that would make 62.5 units, before you hit the boozy weekend!

Not saying it is wrong to drink that much, but It doesnt look like it is good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I would definitely have that attitude but it has a lot to do with the drinking culture here and especially the prices, couldn't just pop into a pub for the 1 or 2 and spend over a tenner and not get any enjoyment out of it. Wine is the only drink I would drink without the intention of getting drunk, nice with food etc but a lot of the time I would rather have none than at least a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

phill106 wrote: »
    What are the recommended limits of alcohol drinking?

Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week (and no more than four units in any one day).
    Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week (and no more than three units in any one day).

A 500 ml can/bottle of standard lager (5%) contains 2.5 units.
    'Super-strength' or strong pale lager may contain as much as two units per half pint.

Assuming its standard beer that would be 5x2.5 units per day, making it 12.5 units of alcohol per day. Over 5 days that would make 62.5 units, before you hit the boozy weekend!

Not saying it is wrong to drink that much, but It doesnt look like it is good for you!

Apprently they admitted (or research showed) that it's not actually a valid amount. As in, they're only guessing that it's the amount that's recomended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm technically allowed drink at work ... drinking to get drunk is not a good idea.

I like a beer with a movie or at a football match, but I don't go to either to get hammered.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

The only thing I love about being drunk is my unreal courage to dance the night away in public. Other than that feck it. I actually like the taste believe it or not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'd like to think I can enjoy a few beers and leave it at that and enjoy the 4 can buzz but unfortunately I have a disease called 'being Irish' which most of the time requires me to buy 8 cans for fear of running out too early in the night but too late to go to the offy and do something about it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Nothing new here, Listen to John B Keane on drinl "Drinking in moderation is Ridiculous"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIqNTJ-yus

iamstop wrote: »
    I'd like to think I can enjoy a few beers and leave it at that and enjoy the 4 can buzz but unfortunately I have a disease called 'being Irish' which most of the time requires me to buy 8 cans for fear of running out too early in the night but too late to go to the offy and do something about it. :(

This is why we should be able to buy alcohol 24/7. Or at least till 11pm. There's been plenty of times that the whole issue of "running out" has just been solved at a mates gaff when you hear "ah don't worry, I have about 10 or 12 just incase" and you might end up drinking two at most. However, buying the extra few "just incase" means you end up drinking double what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I dont agree with drinking just to get drunk. I love a glass of wine with my dinner or a nice cold bulmers/kopperberg on a sunny day.

That said, my one cheeky drink usually leads to 10 more and a nice session so maybe Im just fooling myself :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And people wonder why the government can't treat them like responsible adults with their silly drinking laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

Drinking is fun.I'd only have about six cans.But if someone at the bar im at asks me if i want a drink(they pay)you'd want to believe im ordering a jim beam and coke.In fact no matter what situation if im offered free alcohol im game ball.Like on sunday when i was offered i pint before i played on stage.I should asked for a vody and coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

And people wonder why the government can't treat them like responsible adults with their silly drinking laws.

Can a responsible adult not enjoy getting drunk no? I got drunk, I must be irresponsible, quick, give me a baby to shake!

Trog wrote: »
    Can a responsible adult not enjoy getting drunk no? I got drunk, I must be irresponsible, quick, give me a baby to shake!

I think he was having a go at the fact that we tend to go binge drinking instead of just having a few.

Then again, it's often true that we just take more of what we can't have. I reckon if we could get alcohol 24/7 we wouldn't be seen as that bad compared to most places. Though I'd reckon that the clubs would still be full with people hammered and staggering into the jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

I think he was having a go at the fact that we tend to go binge drinking instead of just having a few.

Then again, it's often true that we just take more of what we can't have. I reckon if we could get alcohol 24/7 we wouldn't be seen as that bad compared to most places. Though I'd reckon that the clubs would still be full with people hammered and staggering into the jacks.

Yeah, and I was just making the point that a responsible adult can choose to binge drink without being irresponsible. What's wrong with getting drunk as long as you do no wrong to others? I get drunk when I go out and I stay with my friends. If there's trouble I avoid it cos I know I'm drunk.

The attitude that merely the act of getting drunk is in some way irresponsible or immoral of itself is ludicrous.

Trog wrote: »
    Yeah, and I was just making the point that a responsible adult can choose to binge drink without being irresponsible. What's wrong with getting drunk as long as you do no wrong to others? I get drunk when I go out and I stay with my friends. If there's trouble I avoid it cos I know I'm drunk.

The attitude that merely the act of getting drunk is in some way irresponsible or immoral of itself is ludicrous.

It's the fact that it is irrensponsible. I go out, I drink 6-8 pints, I'm fairly drunk. I'm not hammered, I can walk home, I can give a statement to the police, I'm not throwing up or causing trouble. What about the fella next to me who thinks he can handle the same, knows he can't and ends up drinking the same, starts getting rowdy and causes a fight?

He's being irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

What about the fella next to me who thinks he can handle the same, knows he can't and ends up drinking the same, starts getting rowdy and causes a fight?

In my experience(used to be a barman) its a minority of people who get violent when they get too drunk, the people who do just stand out a lot more than those who quietly stumble home

In my experience(used to be a barman) its a minority of people who get violent when they get too drunk, the people who do just stand out a lot more than those who quietly stumble home

Yeah but surely you can admit that there at least a certain type of person who just tends to binge drink to the point it's a problem?Haven't you seen the type that will order maybe... 4 or 5 drinks in the first two hours and slow down compared to the one that won't slow down at all?

Yeah but surely you can admit that there at least a certain type of person who just tends to binge drink to the point it's a problem?Haven't you seen the type that will order maybe... 4 or 5 drinks in the first two hours and slow down compared to the one that won't slow down at all?

Of course there will always be people who self destruct on a nightly basis and cause problems, but they are a minority and all you can do is feel sorry for them.

Of course there will always be people who self destruct on a nightly basis and cause problems, but they are a minority and all you can do is feel sorry for them.

But why should that affect me from wanting to grab a six pack at 10pm? or later?

The point is that it is irresponsible to over-drink, no matter how you look at it. Even in the privacy of your own home, it's still irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

clearly there's not many people here who actually appreciate beer / wine etc...

But why should that affect me from wanting to grab a six pack at 10pm? or later?

The point is that it is irresponsible to over-drink, no matter how you look at it. Even in the privacy of your own home, it's still irresponsible.

While I agree with you, it could also be said that anything which impairs your judgement is irresponsible, meaning any amount of alcohol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Whats funny is, You see people go up to the bar near the end of the night and buy tons of drink. Wheres the logic behind that.

They are drinking then just going home to bed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Define drunk.
    If it's falling about the place, not being able to speak properly, vomiting or getting too emotional/argumentative then no.
    I don't ever drink with the intention of getting into this state although it has happened me a few times over the years.

If it's loosening up more, becoming more relaxed, being put in a happy, giggly, and kind of silly, extra extra chatty mood, and more likely to dance about or just feel abit more care free than usual, then yes.
    I would drink for this reason.
    I also call this description drunk/merry, so yes I would say I do drink to feel this way.

I wouldn't drink alcohol if I didn't feel some sort of effect from it. It would just seem like a waste of money to me.
    I would imagine it's the same with most drugs.

Advertisement