Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only drink if you're gonna get locked

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

clearly there's not many people here who actually appreciate beer / wine etc...

Absolutely. Getting drunk off good beer is expensive though. When I want to get locked ( which is most of the time) I pick up the cheapest cans I can find. If I want one or two beers I pay around triple that for the good stuff.
    Thor wrote: »
    Whats funny is, You see people go up to the bar near the end of the night and buy tons of drink. Wheres the logic behind that.

They are drinking then just going home to bed!!

Never understood it myself. I usually never buy anything after a certain point in the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

I dont really see the point otherwise. 6 can minimum rule applys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

It's the fact that it is irrensponsible. I go out, I drink 6-8 pints, I'm fairly drunk. I'm not hammered, I can walk home, I can give a statement to the police, I'm not throwing up or causing trouble. What about the fella next to me who thinks he can handle the same, knows he can't and ends up drinking the same, starts getting rowdy and causes a fight?

He's being irresponsible.

He's being irresponsible because he's starting a fight. Getting that drunk isn't irresponsible. If he chooses to blame the drunkenness for getting in the fight then fine, he shouldn't get drunk. But that's not because getting drunk is irresponsible, it's because HE is irresponsible when drunk. BIG difference. If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your actions no matter what state you're in, then you aren't being irresponsible by getting drunk.
    Define drunk.
    If it's falling about the place, not being able to speak properly, vomiting or getting too emotional/argumentative then no.
    I don't ever drink with the intention of getting into this state although it has happened me a few times over the years.

If it's loosening up more, becoming more relaxed, being put in a happy, giggly, and kind of silly, extra extra chatty mood, and more likely to dance about or just feel abit more care free than usual, then yes.
    I would drink for this reason.
    I also call this description drunk/merry, so yes I would say I do drink to feel this way.

I wouldn't drink alcohol if I didn't feel some sort of effect from it. It would just seem like a waste of money to me.
    I would imagine it's the same with most drugs.

I mean any state of drunkenness. As long as someone doesn't cause harm to others then they can get as ****ed up as they want. There's nothing irresponsible about getting messed up. Now if you expect someone else to take care of you that's different. But the actual getting drunk itself does absolutely no harm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

i love good beer but dont enjoy getting drunk. So ill go to pubs like the salthouse, bierhaus, oslo and the cottage in galway. Against the grain, bull and castle in dublin and so on, have a few bottles of a quality porter or black beer or stout and go home happy out and wake up in the morning feeling fantastic. People who need to get locked to have a good time need to sort out their confidence issues imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Trog wrote: »
    He's being irresponsible because he's starting a fight. Getting that drunk isn't irresponsible. If he chooses to blame the drunkenness for getting in the fight then fine, he shouldn't get drunk. But that's not because getting drunk is irresponsible, it's because HE is irresponsible when drunk. BIG difference. If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your actions no matter what state you're in, then you aren't being irresponsible by getting drunk.

I mean any state of drunkenness. As long as someone doesn't cause harm to others then they can get as ****ed up as they want. There's nothing irresponsible about getting messed up. Now if you expect someone else to take care of you that's different. But the actual getting drunk itself does absolutely no harm.

I was actually wondering what the OP was defining as drunk/locked.
    I didn't mention anything about people being irresponsible.
    I'm only answering the OP as to what level of drunkness I am personally comfortable with.
    I don't give a fcuk how drunk other people are as long as they are not affecting me or other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Sometimes it's nice to have 2 or 3 pints & leave it at that!
    thats like pulling out mid flight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

I was actually wondering what the OP was defining as drunk/locked.
    I didn't mention anything about people being irresponsible.
    I'm only answering the OP as to what level of drunkness I am personally comfortable with.
    I don't give a fcuk how drunk other people are as long as they are not affecting me or other people.

I was just using your post to illustrate a point addressed to someone else.

phill106 wrote: »
    What are the recommended limits of alcohol drinking?

Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week (and no more than four units in any one day).
    Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week (and no more than three units in any one day).

A 500 ml can/bottle of standard lager (5%) contains 2.5 units.
    'Super-strength' or strong pale lager may contain as much as two units per half pint.

Assuming its standard beer that would be 5x2.5 units per day, making it 12.5 units of alcohol per day. Over 5 days that would make 62.5 units, before you hit the boozy weekend!

Not saying it is wrong to drink that much, but It doesnt look like it is good for you!

When you put it like that, I should probably cut down a bit... I've a brother in rehab so know how bad alcohol can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I wouldn't go out and drink with the intention of falling around the place. But I wouldn't go out for 'one or two', always at least 6 or 7 otherwise I find it pintlesspointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Daegerty wrote: »
    Drink before the lock!

drink until the lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'd drink to get happily buzzed. I never drink with the aim of ending up completely rat arsed, there's no fun in that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I drink because I like the taste of good wine - I stop when I can't taste the flavours of the wine anymore - usually 2 good sized glasses.
    I don't like being drunk - it feels horrible and the hangover is worse. The way I drink, I get to enjoy the taste, enjoy my evening a bit buzzed and enjoy my morning after :)
    It's the laid back approach to drinking!

The vast majority of the time I go drinking its understood that we will keep going until we are locked, locked usually being good and merry but of course you have nights where you end up very drunk too. Its alright the odd time going for 3 or 4 pints but you hate having to leave then just want to stay going. I also hate drinking with food (and dont drink wine at all, awful stuff). I am a firm believer that the food spoils the taste of the drink and vice versa.

Big weekend planned this weekend, friends visiting where basically we will start tomorrow evening and out for the night, then more or less start again what ever time we get up saturday morning and go all day and night. Possibly a few for the cure then sunday as well. Really it would be a blatant lie if I said getting drunk was not on the agenda, hopefully just maintain a nice state of merry though.

Advertisement