Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Kill Shelters

• 27-02-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Well, the last time that I posted about this, it was a simple question after I returned from the USA: 'I want to help an animal shelter with money and volunteer time, but it has to be no kill.'

As it turns out, there isn't a clear agreement about what is a 'no kill' shelter, and which of the existing shelters count as such. The result was that my thread became a 'pre-moderated' home an for animal rights debate that it turns out I can't even post in because I don't spam the boards enough. Then I began getting scary spam. Damn humans.

Soo...I really don't want to argue about the ethics of euthanasia, here's where I stand: if I wouldn't do it to a human, then I wouldn't do it to an animal. Take that as you will.

I'm looking for a charity that rescues domestic animals in dublin-wicklow area with an emphasis on euthanasia as a last resort, if ever. If no organisation exists with that goal, I'm looking for parties interested in starting one. It certainly seems that there is room for further education on the subject in Ireland.

And, no, please don't use this as an excuse to start a debate about your pet pet political topic. ><

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

http://ashanimalrescue.com/ash/?page_id=2 Have a no kill policy and are based in Wicklow.

There are many others people would recommend of course, they were just the first to mind. If I can suggest staying away from the likes of the dspca and dogs trust. No reflection on them at all, it's just that they get a lot of support already and smaller independent shelters are more in need of help.

Something else you could consider is transport for some of the shelters dotted around the country. Some shelters take from pounds in Dublin, or have to foster all over the place but are based around the country, meaning they need help getting dogs to and from places. It's a great way to help without taking dogs into your own home.

If you're thinking of fostering, the support and advice I got from Sarah in EGAR is great and she also operates a no kill policy. Based in galway but with fostering this isn't really an issue.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.irishanimals.ie/homes.html

Would this be of any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

www.DogsAid.ie are a no kill shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

I would second Dogs Aid - Maggie does fantastic work and always takes the dogs that others won't

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I think "A Dogs life" is the perfect charity for you.

My former tutor from college helps run this with a few others.
    They rescue dogs from pounds all around Ireland before they get put down and currently they are in desperate need...what charity isn't?!

I help them when I can and plan to run the mini marathon and sponsor them.
    So many beautiful dogs and puppies of all breeds are surrendered and found malnourished and the charity try get homes for them before the dogs "final day" is up!

Please look in to their charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd second A Dog's Life- they rescue as many dogs as they can from the pound- dogs who would otherwise be put down in 5 days, or less if they are surrendered.
    They have a facebook page, as well as their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

www.dogstrust.ie are a no kill shelter and state the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dogstrust apparently have a "list of people who want to volunteer" (so I was told by a DT volunteer). I'd be much more inclined to encourage people to help the smaller charities who don't have as much exposure and support like Ash, Madra, Egar etc.

Yeah I'd agree with Whispered, the bigger places can afford to employ people to care for the animals where as the smaller places depend entirely on volunteers. Before the recession it regularly happened that myself and the woman who runs the sanctuary would be cleaning out the 60 dogs on our own.

Ahh....but dogs trust help the majority or rescues and pounds around the country and have an extensive low cost neutering scheme etc. They also have a waiting list of approximately 200 dogs waiting to come into their centre.They are a registered charity which I find important when donating to rescues as I have had previous bad experiences with regards to where money is being used etc. I know some of the little guys deserve the advertisment etc but then I don't like how some of the smaller organisations opperate. Maybe I have just been burned too often. Nice to give the OP options.

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware Dogs Trust are not doing the neutering vouchers anymore. And pretty much every rescue in the country has a waiting list of 200 odd dogs! If other Dogs Trust volunteers say there's a waiting list of people wanting to volunteer I think OP would do more good going to a smaller charity who need the help now.

OP if you want to know if the charity is registered in Ireland you can ask them what their number is and check it up on www.revenue.ie A 'registered charity' in Ireland only means they're registered as a charity for tax purposes. There's no charity register beyond this.

They are doing their neutering scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

As far as I'm aware Dogs Trust are not doing the neutering vouchers anymore.

DT are doing this scheme again this year, my mam got her dog done last Monday on it.

Advertisement