Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB improved Internet speeds in Rush?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Now that Rush is Eircom 'Next Gen. Broadband' enabled, has anyone noticed a speed increase in the evenings? Before I switched from them my 7mb speed during the day was reduced to ~.5mb from 5:30 to 11pm

thanks, Bam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

mine is not upgraded yet.

i signed up for an email and did not get that.
    just ran a speed test and its still running at 3mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

I was on 3mb with vodafone and came back from hols saturday and finding out that I am now on 5+mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Never really had any problems myself before the upgrade. With eircom and just got upgraded from 3 to 4 meg myself today.

Not done any great testing... but hey its faster than it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Yes i can confirm rush exchange has been migrated to N.G.B .
    Depending on your line stat's , you should notice a speed increase and less contention,if not you should contact Eircom b/band support on 1890260260 or your olo service provider.NB - if you could only get say 3mb , being switched to NGB , will not make a difference to your attainable b/band speed ,but you should notice a difference , due to lack of contention(network traffic) esp on download's- hth's

just did a speed test there. coming in at 4.3 mb normally got 2.7- 3 so there is an improvement.

said it would go up to 8 though. maybe it will get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

Using http://www.speedtest.net/

I am vodafone and I get:
    Download 5.05Mb/s
    Upload 0.42Mb/s
    Ping 42ms

Looks like we are up to 8Mb/s but after few days measuring, I never got much above 5Mb/s might get better

well still have not broken the 4.5mb barrier yet and my ping is worse now than it was before. its giving me a ping of 90-95 where as before it was 80 - 85!

mind you i have not got the email i have signed up for yet so maybe its not totally official yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Yeah, I've always only got 5MB (eventhough I pay "upto" to 7MB), however my upload is now 512 from 384. It all comes down to what your line can handle as I found out in the past.

You can check you line here http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/, the guys in the broadband forum often suggest this.

it says the line is an 8mb line but doing a speedtest will only show a speed of 4.5 ( which i am getting through a speed test)

looks like the method of speedtesting is wrong then.

anyone else have proof of anything higher than a 4.5mb connection in rush on Eircom?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Around 3.44 in Lusk which is up on 2.5 compared to previously. I hope it goes up.

• Advertisement

Mine seems to have gone up to 5 meg today.

The exchange is roughly half way between both rush and Lusk.

That would put average cable length at about 3 km. I wouldn't expect much more than 5 to 6 meg at those distances with ADSL.

I'm getting 6mb /512 --- 5.35/45 down - 38/45 up, on speed test , though ping is gone mad at 80 , in Lusk village .
    They seem to have averaged most line's at 5mb for the migration , depending on the package you were on ,if you were on say a 3mb product ,before the changeover , they may have put you on 5mb , but you may be able to get more -mine was still on 3mb on tue's till i rang eircom net tech support , i'm able to get 7mb , but left it at 6mb , again it all depend's on your attainable's.
    So ring your ISP tech support and find out , you may be surprised.
    The NGB switch now mean's that ''up to 24 mb'' is now advailable from Rush Rsu , has anybody here signed up to this yet?.
    At least the NGB switch has(or should have) led to an improvement in service for all b/band user's in Rush/Lusk area (irregardless of your isp) at no extra cost cost to the user,which can't be bad.

no change in mine since last speed test. althought the speed is better the ping is worse.

i cant find the letter i got in the post. which i thought it said it would go up to 8mb.

will give it another few days to see if i get this email that i signed up for beofre i ring them.

When I.S.P's talk of b/band speed , they use the term ''up to'',to cover themselves contractually.When they say ''up to'' 8mb , it does not mean they guarantee 8mb to your modem , as your line may not able to sustain that speed (the line may only be able to sustain 1mb).
    Every phone line has differing stat's eg distance from exch , type of copper used in network ,and customer's own internal wiring etc all impacting
    and dictating , the max speed ,that is available for the modem to achieve sync and remain stable at the optimum speed , that the conditions on the line allow.
    You can only know for sure when the line is b/band enabled (adsl/adsl2 etc) ,what the line is actually capable of speed wise , that's why none of the ISP's give a universal guarantee of specific obtainable speed , they will alway's refer to the b/band obtainable speed as ''up to''. Hth's - the mysteries of b/band.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

In Lusk Village, chap in Eircom said that my line was set to 4mb. I was getting about 3.2

He upped it to 6mb and was not happy with the test he ran so he lowered it to 5MB so I'm getting 4.2 now.

Not bad but the whole 8MB claim (Even with the up to) is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Anyone on UTV NGB in rush getting an improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Getting 3.47mb down .32 upload 80 ping in Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Anyone got UPC broadband in Lusk? Be interested in the speeds people are getting with it. Might change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

FYI

Broadband Presentation by Eircom to FCC Balbriggan/Swords Committee Meeting B on 14/12/10. Cllrs expressed dissatisfaction with Broadband services in the Naul and Rush & Lusk area so Eircom were invited to come along and explain future plans.

32.22 mins into the meeting, gives an overview of Eircom and broadband options and the upgrades in Fingal.

http://connect.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/site/player/index.php?a=49691

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

thanks for the respones folks. Think I'll hold off a while longer until more positive reports of usage in the evenings

• Advertisement

1189553382.png

could be that its late but this is the lowest ping i have ever got here.

Just tested now, on 5meg 512 package in Lusk
    1193300756.png
    1193303505.png

1193853404.png

1193942503.png

Got 2nd speed test after using Internet Cyclone speed booster

http://www.jordysoft.net/Windows/Tweak/Internet_Tweak/free-Internet-Cyclone-download-1.aspx

was just on to eircom customer support.

my line is only capable of 5mb!

so no 8mb for me. and the ping wont improve either.

so is anyone in rush capable of getting the 8 mb?

Just for reference here's what I'm getting currently with Digiweb.

1197783715.png
    1197779047.png

I'm on the old package: 7.6Mbps, 40GB rolling cap, 12:1 contention, €66/month. And I'm living beside Kenure park, Rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

bambam wrote: »
    Just for reference here's what I'm getting currently with Digiweb.

1197783715.png
    1197779047.png

I'm on the old package: 7.6Mbps, 40GB rolling cap, 12:1 contention, €66/month. And I'm living beside Kenure park, Rush.

Does Digiweb us an eircom line?

yes, they resell the eircom product

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

1201866239.png

Mine tonight

got the email from eircom yesterday, the ping has gone way down. but the download is still 4.5mb. ( cant get higher than 5 anyway)

• Advertisement

This is what I would class as peak time.
    Just tested now and am pretty happy with the results.

1203678272.png

Advertisement