Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot-Up Problem

• 27-02-2011 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an old desktop, memory is pretty full, but it was working perfectly yesterday, but today when I boot it up it gets as far as into windows and the window saying "windows is starting up" (and graphic is still moving so it's not frozen) but nothing happens and it stays like that for good...

Other than that it boots up as normal..

Any idea how to fix this or to get it running again?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

disconnect everything from the box, the mouse etc, except the power lead and reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

FML :( No luck.

Don't know why I hoped that might work!! :D

Any other suggestions please? Really ruining my life right now, cause I need to access it and can't. I'm willing to format if that's the only option, buttt don't really know how to do that either...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Might be a faulty RAM chip. You can open the case and remove the ram. try one stick of ram in different slots and try booting after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Try to boot in safe mode, http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Sounds like your boot secter or mbr is corrupt

If you have your windows cd you could boot off it and run a chkdsk, will prolly sort it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

thanks for suggestions guys, tried both of those, no luck yet.

I have a windows vista CD, so maybe the only two options left are to either format the PC and reinstall windows, or boot off the windows CD, neither of which I know how to do. Any ideas? Thanks again for help, really appreciate it.

(meant to mention current OS is windows XP)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can you get a copy of Linux Ubuntu or similar (see here on right side: http://unitedpeople.ie/free.html).

Use one of those live cd's/USB stick to see if they will start-up.
    If they do, its a good sign for a start that your ram might be ok and you can knock that possibility on the head (you can also use Linux tools to do testing in this area besides other possible areas).
    Use Gparted in Ubuntu and others, to check the hard-drive structure too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭horse7

when you power up one of your f keys should get you into a dos menu giving you a choice of starting in safe mode.if you goggle for info on your laptop,look for the make/modle of your desktop and which f key will help you start in safe mode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

horse7 wrote: »
    when you power up one of your f keys should get you into a dos menu giving you a choice of starting in safe mode.if you goggle for info on your laptop,look for the make/modle of your desktop and which f key will help you start in safe mode.

Usually F8.
    Some use ALT and F10 for another hidden menu.

Advertisement