Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 8GB NGB - Carlow - Possible DNS Issue?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Noticed an issue with our broadband the last couple of days. Sometimes when I click on pages or addresses the pages is sometimes coming up blank or giving a 'Server not found' error.

I have used three different browsers (Firefox, IE and Chrome) and have tried resetting the router both using the reset button and by unplugging it for a few minutes but the issue remains the same.

Is anyone else in the area having this problem or does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

brophs wrote: »
    Noticed an issue with our broadband the last couple of days. Sometimes when I click on pages or addresses the pages is sometimes coming up blank or giving a 'Server not found' error.

I have used three different browsers (Firefox, IE and Chrome) and have tried resetting the router both using the reset button and by unplugging it for a few minutes but the issue remains the same.

Is anyone else in the area having this problem or does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

There have been lots of issues with Eircom's dns servers in the past. A good idea is to use OpenDns instead http://www.opendns.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

set your primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4 to bypass eircom's crappy dns server

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

set your primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4 to bypass eircom's crappy dns server

Who's dns are they.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Set your alternate DNS to 4.2.2.3 - great DNS server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Who's dns are they.?

Google DNS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Thanks all,

Have tried changing to each of the suggested DNS', but without any joy. Same problems remain. I guess that means it's not a DNS issue.

I'll give Eircom a ring tomorrow and see what's going on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Set your alternate DNS to 4.2.2.3 - great DNS server

These are not full production servers, and are given minimal maintenance only as a courtesy to legacy users and should be presumed to be reliable. Stick to proper public DNS servers such as Google or OpenDNS.

can you go to command prompt and ping 4.2.2.3 and see if you get response
    then try ping www.boards.ie and see if ya get a response.

Yeah, those seem to have worked fine (well, no packets were lost etc, I'm not an expert on this stuff).

The problem is it seems to be an intermittent issue. Every so often I'll click on a link and the page will be entirely blank, so I have to reload.

oh ok its not the DNS then alright. can you do a tracert www.google.ie and see where the packets are getting lost?

• Advertisement

Haven't had time to do anything about this, but it's still a problem.

I'm not sure how to do the tracert that Galway suggested. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance on that?

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I would suggest using OpenDNS, there's instructions on how to set this up at the end of the following troubleshooting guide:

http://www.createvision.ie/blog/files/category-eircom.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Who's dns are they.?

google's public dns servers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Moved to Eircom talk to forum (http://www.boards.ie/eircom)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

brophs wrote: »
    Haven't had time to do anything about this, but it's still a problem.

I'm not sure how to do the tracert that Galway suggested. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance on that?

Ta.

Hi brophs,

Thanks for your query and apologies for the delay replying.

It sounds like you might be getting an intermittent connection problem.

Can you PM your home phone number and I can check your broadband connection.

If you're getting intermittent sync, you might want to look over our Support help site below -

http://bit.ly/aPwvTT - 'Broadband Checklist'

Try to connect your modem over Ethernet (network) cable first and remove the adsl splitter when testing intermittent sync.

Let me know if I can help you further or PM your home phone number.

All the best,

Ant

Advertisement