Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log-follow my progress

Options
  • 27-02-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

So here goes, I used to be a distance runner in my teenage years, ran some decent time-800m-2:02, 3000m 9:17.
    however college years put paid to any ambitious as i started drinking heavily for the 1st 3 years of college.
    in these 3 years i gave up running completly. I decided that my new years resolution would be to complete the DCM 2011. With an absense of 3 years from the sport I know how difficult this is going to be. Im currently back training 8 weeks and have built up to 5days a week. Im entered in the great Ireland run-aim of breaking 40mins for 10k. Last week my training went like this:
    monday-rest
    tuesday-65mins
    wed-45mins-easy
    thurs-rest
    friday-4mile tempo-25:26(delighted with this as the previous week i did this in 26:45)
    sat-40min-recovery
    sunday(today)-10mile-70:44-felt smooth delighted with this, had only planned on running it in 75mins, felt good throughout.
    The ultimate goal is break 3hrs for the Marathon however with such a long break from the sport im not sure if 8months training is enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

looking forward to reading progress int his thread.I love a comeback;)
    where are you doing most of your training?
    I think you will smash 3hours,have you mapped out any races leading up to Dublin?
    im doing my first marathon in Dublin this year so give me a shout if you are training in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭formerrunner25

At the moment the only race planned is the great Ireland run, after that i will need to get in 10milers and a half over the summer as prep. I do most of my training in Dublin- as I am in college here. I have no coach or anything so all of my training is on my own. what time are u hoping for? Do you run with a club? I dont think i will smash 3hrs- I feel this may be slightly ambitious for a 1st time attempt, with very little preperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Formerrunner,

I'll follow your thread with interest over the coming months. That's a good solid week to be putting in at this stage of the year.

As you'll probably know yourself, the more shorter distance races you do, the better for yourself.

Get in a few 10km races over the next 6 months to build speed into your legs. If you're planning on running DCM, you could also do the entire race series, it works out at very good value, €115 for the 5, 10, 13.1 and 26.2 if you book them all at the same time.

Normally, people will say that a debut marathoner will have trouble breaking 3 hours. However, the top elite athletes probably run sub 2.15 on their debuts so it's all relative. A strong training base and steady progress over 8 months will do wonders for you.

However, from 8 months out from DCM, you should really concentrate on short term goals. Your sub 40 10k is a great goal to have. Then you'll be looking to getting to around 63-65 for 10 miles. A 1.23 half marathon would then be a major goal. If you can go sub 1.25 by the time the Dublin half marathon comes around in September, you can then start thinking seriously about sub 3.

I see you're not a member of a club at the moment. I think this would be a great help to you. I went solo for 5 years before joining a club and thought that this worked best for me. However, I joined a club last year and have seen my training become much more focused, my recovery runs are now slower and the camraderie makes it more fun.

As a recent inductee to sub 3, I'll try and check in here with you and see have I anything useful to offer. Looking back on my own training logs, I was at 73 minutes for 10 miles 8 months before I went sub 3 and my 4 mile tempo was probably a bit slower than where yours is now so you're on the right track.

Formerrunner,

I'll follow your thread with interest over the coming months. That's a good solid week to be putting in at this stage of the year.

As you'll probably know yourself, the more shorter distance races you do, the better for yourself.

Get in a few 10km races over the next 6 months to build speed into your legs. If you're planning on running DCM, you could also do the entire race series, it works out at very good value, €115 for the 5, 10, 13.1 and 26.2 if you book them all at the same time.

Normally, people will say that a debut marathoner will have trouble breaking 3 hours. However, the top elite athletes probably run sub 2.15 on their debuts so it's all relative. A strong training base and steady progress over 8 months will do wonders for you.

However, from 8 months out from DCM, you should really concentrate on short term goals. Your sub 40 10k is a great goal to have. Then you'll be looking to getting to around 63-65 for 10 miles. A 1.23 half marathon would then be a major goal. If you can go sub 1.25 by the time the Dublin half marathon comes around in September, you can then start thinking seriously about sub 3.

I see you're not a member of a club at the moment. I think this would be a great help to you. I went solo for 5 years before joining a club and thought that this worked best for me. However, I joined a club last year and have seen my training become much more focused, my recovery runs are now slower and the camraderie makes it more fun.

As a recent inductee to sub 3, I'll try and check in here with you and see have I anything useful to offer. Looking back on my own training logs, I was at 73 minutes for 10 miles 8 months before I went sub 3 and my 4 mile tempo was probably a bit slower than where yours is now so you're on the right track.

I think thats a great idea entering for the race series. must get onto it. I may not be updating the log as often over the next 3-4weeks, as I am busy with exams at the moment.
    Monday am-45mins extremly easy- fully recovered from10miler and feeling good.
    took a rest tuesday as it was my birthday monday and over indulged. Out tomorrow pm for an hour or so depending how im feeling as can feel a slight strain on groin and dont want to over do it at this early stage

This week has been a slow one-after my birthday monday I took tuesday off as I had a bangin head. on wednesday I woke up with a sore head, runny nose and sore throat. I felt terrible I still managed to get out of an hour at a decent pace and felt okay.
    thursday was a similar story, however I felt a lot better on the runner. going for a 45mins run with the 2nd half very strong.
    Plan for rest of the week is hill session and maybe a 10miler to finish the week

• Advertisement

So a rest day yesterday. Worked in the bar last night, so only got to bed at 5am and up again this morning at half 10 to work for the day-college life aint easy.ha
    anyway this evening when I came home I decided to get out for a hill session and I did 10 by 1minute hills with jog down recovery. I felt very strong and I am delighted with this given the tough week I have had with a cold, work and college assignments.
    The plan is to finish the week tomorrow with a recovery run-this could be tought as I am workin tomorrow am again and have to travel to Dublin tomorrow night-so we shall see.
    With 5 weeks to the Great Ireland run in the park I feel like im in good shape.
    The 40minute barrier is well within my grasp

so i finished last week with a 45min recovery run. Monday was a much needed rest day. Tuesday I spent the day in the college library finishing 2 assignment and only got out at half 10 for a 60min run..decent pace, however I felt quite poor as I stupidly ate a chinese 2hours before the run and as it was so late I was jaded before I began. was unable to fit in a run wed-so put it down as another rest day.
    today I was feeling good, so opted for some interval training (painfull) 6 by 2minute efforts with a 90second recovery in between. are these supposed to hurt this much? oh my did I feel pain.
    plan for rest of week is to run whenever I can as I have exams beginning monday for 2weeks. Just going to try keep things ticking over for next couple of weeks

With exam pressure at the moment. Getting out for a run is really a great release. After the session yesterday I planned a 7.5 miler easy enough.
    Got goin in the afternoon. Boy did it hurt at the beginning, breathing was all over the place, a real struggle.
    However as I progressed I got stronger and felt okay at the finish-54:15 for 7and half miles. decent enough for a recovery run
    plan for tomorrow is 50minutes easy on grass.
    Legs are feeling the stress of all this road running. Also want to take it easy as I might go for a 10miler sunday r else 90mins, all depending on how the study is goin really as I have exams Monday and Tuesday.
    So unfortunately might only get out for 4 runs this week, but at the moment exams are first priority.

So I finished up the weekend with an easy run on grass and a 7 and a half miler sunday. took a rest monday
    followed by the same interval session as last week on tuesday which went well, considering i was jaded from study and lack of sleep.
    wednesday was an easy 40 followed by an hour today.
    planning on taking it easy for the rest of the week. doing the 5k run at mansion house sunday
    who else is doing it? fast course?

Advertisement