Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WHATS NEXT FOR JOHN DONNELLY AFTER HIS WIN OVER DUSTIN WEST

• 27-02-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

well seasoned on the local and uk scene john had his biggest win to date last nite...
    dustin west is a top level fighter and john showed why he's one of the top 77kg fighters around with his 3 round decision win the american...to my knowledge this is johns fourth win in a row, whats next for "THE RED BARON"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

tyreman1 wrote: »
    well seasoned on the local and uk scene john had his biggest win to date last nite...
    dustin west is a top level fighter and john showed why he's one of the top 77kg fighters around with his 3 round decision win the american...to my knowledge this is johns fourth win in a row, whats next for "THE RED BARON"

Easily could put three different fighters in there for Irish MMA fans...... John proved his class last nite and woz totally outstanding.;)

It will be a massive shame if these fights dont happen :confused:

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

great win , would like to see him get a crack at some of the bigger named uk guys , jimmy wallhead, or any of the guys from uk TUF team, would give him a fair shot at something like place in a bellator tournament or strikeforce, although the top guys in their division are probably a bit much neithers division is as deep as the ufc's and he could go on a bit of a run there... i think anyhow, good luck to him

Kieran81 wrote: »
    great win , would like to see him get a crack at some of the bigger named uk guys , jimmy wallhead, or any of the guys from uk TUF team, would give him a fair shot at something like place in a bellator tournament or strikeforce, although the top guys in their division are probably a bit much neithers division is as deep as the ufc's and he could go on a bit of a run there... i think anyhow, good luck to him

For sure wana see him go far bout there are names here that should make awesome fights too :D xxxx

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    For sure wana see him go far bout there are names here that should make awesome fights too :D xxxx

Urs
    x

like????? :)

Judomad wrote: »
    like????? :)

A lady never tells lolol xxxx

Lets say theres gona be lot of talk over next few weeks on this...... Im lik mystic meg hehe xxx

Urs
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

thats 5 in arow
    for john donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kainer2

Kieran81 wrote: »

Wallhead is fighting in the Bellator WW tourney next Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

TEAM RYANO wrote: »
    thats 5 in arow
    for john donnelly

John is basically due to fight the best this side of the atlantic and if they will not fight him, then he will surely get offers from 1 of the big organisations, i'm sure they'd love to have an Irish man to use for promotional stuff in the states..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

The best welters in Ireland right now fight on Cage Contender- Pendred, Shannon, and like all divisions in Ireland the welterweight pool is very shallow. I would think there's only 1 or 2 fights for him in Ireland at the very maximum and that's it.

The UK and Europe is next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

one more irish guy i can think of...Arni, sure he's practically irish :D

• Advertisement

I have to beg to differ at the moment yes Cathal and Liam in top five but we also have Arnie, Ronan, Mervyn and I would also keep Emmet in there (wer hoping for his comeback soon :D ) xxxx

Urs
    xxx

I have to beg to differ at the moment yes Cathal and Liam in top five but we also have Arnie, Ronan, Mervyn and I would also keep Emmet in there (wer hoping for his comeback soon :D ) xxxx

Urs
    xxx
    Emmet might come back for one or two more and I for one would pay to see him but what would be in that fight for John?

Arni spends a lot of time here, true enough but I doubt he'd consider himself Irish! Ronan is a quality fighter and that would be a good match up too. All respect to Mervyn I don't think he's in the same class as John, Cathal or Arni who I think are a cut above.

My point is not to slag anyone off, just saying that I would much prefer to see these guys fighting international opposition rather than each other.

Either of the Malko brothers from Cork Combat Sambo might be good fights for him - more so Vlad though, Juri might be a bit small for him!

Emmet might come back for one or two more and I for one would pay to see him but what would be in that fight for John?

Arni spends a lot of time here, true enough but I doubt he'd consider himself Irish! Ronan is a quality fighter and that would be a good match up too. All respect to Mervyn I don't think he's in the same class as John, Cathal or Arni who I think are a cut above.

My point is not to slag anyone off, just saying that I would much prefer to see these guys fighting international opposition rather than each other.

Hand on heart I still think Emmet would put in a great performance against any of the aforementioned!

I have to disagree with you on Mervyn though and give him credit....... I had always considered Mervyn "lucky" fighter and this I have previously said but his put in a great performance at last Immortal against Clive and then 1st round KO of Ronan at Chaos last month has changed my view on him :cool:

International opposition yes is great and would encourage it but to be honest there isnt enough being brought in which I think we are entitled to see at shows.... I think people here currently would like to see a few of these fights just to "appoint" top fighter at that weight (if you know wot I mean) ;)

I know your not slaggin juz givin your opinion and a respected one :D

Urs
    x

Hand on heart I still think Emmet would put in a great performance against any of the aforementioned!

I have to disagree with you on Mervyn though and give him credit....... I had always considered Mervyn "lucky" fighter and this I have previously said but his put in a great performance at last Immortal against Clive and then 1st round KO of Ronan at Chaos last month has changed my view on him :cool:

International opposition yes is great and would encourage it but to be honest there isnt enough being brought in which I think we are entitled to see at shows.... I think people here currently would like to see a few of these fights just to "appoint" top fighter at that weight (if you know wot I mean) ;)

I know your not slaggin juz givin your opinion and a respected one :D

Urs
    x
    Emmet is a top fighter but people were asking what is next for John Donnelly. Fighting a semi-retired but very dangerous fighter would only have risks and beating him wouldn't really advance his career. Likewise Mervyn, Ronan etc. etc. Cathal holds the welterweight CC title at the minute and is fighting in the UK regularly. Liam Shannon is the no.1 contender, so for me those are the only domestic fights that can have any real meaning after coming off a win over a "name" fighter like West.

This isn't the "fights I'd like to see" thread. For comparison, what would be the point in Ais Daly fighting Amanda or Adriana or any of the active Irish girls now having been in Bellator? Not much. I'm sure some people would pay to see it but that doesn't mean it's worth anything to Ais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i think people are playing down Johns ability here, he is a good Purple belt at BJJ and has 1 of the best striking games in Ireland, In my opinion Liam Shannon is the next best to John but with the fight with Cathal on soon we will see who comes out on top to decide that-after that the other names although good are way down the list in my eyes.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

cowzerp wrote: »
    i think people are playing down Johns ability here, he is a good Purple belt at BJJ and has 1 of the best striking games in Ireland, In my opinion Liam Shannon is the next best to John but with the fight with Cathal on soon we will see who comes out on top to decide that-after that the other names although good are way down the list in my eyes.

I really don't think even Liam comes close to John. John should be taking on the best in europe. I rekon the best test for him is arni. As far as fights against Irish opponents i think he is far beyond any Irish welterweight. The only Irish fighter I see as a real test for him is if Joseph Duffy moves back up in weight, which i dont see happening.

We need to get out of this crab bucket mentality. Whenever an Irish fighter wins abroad all we think of is which Irish fighter is going to beat them or if they lose abroad how they weren't really that good anyway. See the reaction to Ais Daly's loss in the USA, or Greg Loughran's.

So if I never saw Donnelly fight another Irishman I'd be perfectly happy. Likewise Loughran, Daly etc. etc.

At the end of the day its gonna be up to John and Andy to decide where they want to go;)

Potentially John can pick or choose which direction he wants to take and although international scene may be appealling he may feel he wants a few more fights under his belt here and its up to him and his team to call that. I do know for a fact that John has been really eager to get fights here and has been disappointed in lack of opponents and opportunities presented to him.

He has definately leap frogged himself into the limelight after this win and I hope he is enjoying it and whatever his decision is as an MMA fan I wish him nothing but great things:D

Urs
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kainer2

We need to get out of this crab bucket mentality. Whenever an Irish fighter wins abroad all we think of is which Irish fighter is going to beat them or if they lose abroad how they weren't really that good anyway. See the reaction to Ais Daly's loss in the USA, or Greg Loughran's.

So if I never saw Donnelly fight another Irishman I'd be perfectly happy. Likewise Loughran, Daly etc. etc.

I'm sure a UK event that does shows in Ireland would be perfect for him.

You know, the kinda show that gets fighters noticed, has TV, records results, brings-in good names, sometimes get told they are English invaders despite being run by an Irishman.

/justsaying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

If it's the John Donnelly I'm thinking of, used to roll with his 'old' man Peter ? Last I seen of him was with Ray Butcher up in Clonshaugh. If he's anything like the 'old' man he's made of tough stuff I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

John Donnelly is an excellent fighter and is a fantastic ambassador for Irish mma, he is a gentleman and imo definately one of the best in Ireland.

We wish him all the best for the future!

Advertisement