Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take-away delivery - not enough money to give me change

Options
  • 27-02-2011 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

As a regular customer of my local pizza delivery company, I ordered a delivery on Wednesday evening.

My order came to €11.

When the delivery driver called to the house, I gave him €21 so to get a €10 note in return.
    He said he did not have a €10 note so gave me back the €1, and would give the change (€9) from the €20.

While counting out the change, he said he hadn't enough change to give me back, so only gave me €7 as opposed to €9.

I would have considered it a common occurance to pay for an €11 order with a €20 note so would have expected the change to be available.

I know its only €2 but its the principle!

Would it be worth it to write an email to their customer complaints dept?
    Or just leave it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd definitely complain. He essentially made you give him a tip, and I seriously doubt he couldn't have given you the right change.

I'd report him. That type of practise needs to be stopped, otherwise he'll be pulling that trick everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I would have told him to give back my money if he couldnt give me the change..Like you might let 50c or something go but 2euro is well too much imo

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sarah-bear

Thanks,

That's what I thought alright.

Its not like I have a problem giving a tip (I always do!) but this just kind of annoyed me.

Will email customer services and see how I get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

if your looking for a honest answer your going a bit ott
    if it was a regular thing and with the same driver yeah then complain
    like you said you give the driver a tip like i would whats the big deal?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    if your looking for a honest answer your going a bit ott
    if it was a regular thing and with the same driver yeah then complain

Well I don't think its a big deal really, more annoying than anything, but surely tipping is at the discretion of the customer, not something you are forced to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Personally I tip if
    a) he delivers quickly
    b) I have the money

Heck, I may need that €2 for the bus tomorrow. Next time it happens, tell them that you want the €20 back, that you'll ring up the business and say you are cancelling the order as hte driver doesn't have change, and that'll you order elsewhere. See how quickly the driver "finds" the change in his "other pocket" :(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You should bear in mind that it is your responsibility to pay the right amount rather than the responsibility of the seller to give change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You should bear in mind that it is your responsibility to pay the right amount rather than the responsibility of the seller to give change.

+1

Legally the driver is not obliged to give change.

All that is required is for the customer to proffer an amount equal or above the debt incurred, any surplus is considered a gift automatically and technically is only refunded out of goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sarah-bear wrote: »
    I know its only €2 but its the principle!
    No, it's actually the principal.

Tell you what...spend a week delivering pizzas in a beat-up Nissan Micra to Irish dole-scum who can't even be bothered to cook food for their families and who'd rather feed their kids trans-fat salt-laden take-out junk food and then come on here complaining that you've been done out of €2 by some poor eastern-european/asian worker that's on minimum wage.

Walk a mile in that person's shoes and then I'll start to listen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Tell you what...spend a week delivering pizzas in a beat-up Nissan Micra to Irish dole-scum who can't even be bothered to cook food for their families and who'd rather feed their kids trans-fat salt-laden take-out junk food and then come on here complaining that you've been done out of €2 by some poor eastern-european/asian worker that's on minimum wage.

Nice trolling :)

• Advertisement

Well I'm not "Dole Scum" and I don't have kids, but thanks for the input regardless. I too am on minimum wage.

My original point was is it worth speaking to their customer service dept about the fact that the driver didn't have enough money on him to give me back my change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭davetherave

If you look at their menu, if you have one, they might say something along the lines of "Driver carries less than €X(20?) euro in change". If that is the case then it should be enough to cover your complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Is this a joke or have I just come across the most pompous person on boards?

If you look at their menu, if you have one, they might say something along the lines of "Driver carries less than €X(20?) euro in change". If that is the case then it should be enough to cover your complaint.

Just checked it there and it says "Drivers carry €20 in cash only"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1

Legally the driver is not obliged to give change.

All that is required is for the customer to proffer an amount equal or above the debt incurred, any surplus is considered a gift automatically and technically is only refunded out of goodwill.

Would one of you two please give a verifiable link for that.

That's like saying that if someone came into my shop with e20 and wanted to buy an item for e11, then I don't have to give them change if I don't have enough money in my till, and it's tough luck to the customer! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

@Dublinwriter

You are bang out of order! Pizza like any fast food should be eaten in moderation but as a family treat it is one of my family's favorite on a night that we are not ferrying our two sons to rugby or hurling training and matches, and of course providing we can afford it out of our social welfare payment after we have paid our weeks shopping, mortgage, bills, car tax insurances etc.

Get you head out of the sterotype cloud as this country has a lot of hard working people currently out of work through no fault of their own, and to tar them all with the same brush is very uneducated.

OP was short changed by €2 and has a right to make a point

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Fey! wrote: »
    Would one of you two please give a verifiable link for that.

That's like saying that if someone came into my shop with e20 and wanted to buy an item for e11, then I don't have to give them change if I don't have enough money in my till, and it's tough luck to the customer! :p

Its contract law, it comes up alot in a shop where they cannot take €500 notes as they wouldn't have the change.

But this law was written a long time before pizza delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Its contract law, it comes up alot in a shop where they cannot take €500 notes as they wouldn't have the change.

But this law was written a long time before pizza delivery!

That's rather different to "any surplus is considered a gift automatically and technically is only refunded out of goodwill". Which sounds like horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

P. Breathnach and Max Power 1 are both spot on.

A retailer is not legally obliged to provide change. Once a contract is formed, the purchaser is legally obliged to provide sufficient legal tender to cover the cost of the goods/services provided. Once the purchaser has provided legal tender to cover the cost of the goods, the retailer does not have to provide change in the case where excess legal tender was offered.

That's the legal position - however, we all know that all businesses do offer change. But in such a situation, I personally don't think that a driver can be expected to carry enough float to provide change for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Every day is a schoolday!!!

I can only assume that it comes from the legal tender angle where you only have to accept cash as payment of an already incurred debt, but not if someone is buying something off you (where a debt has not yet arisen).

In that case, surely the customer has the right to refuse the transaction?

In the case of the OP, it would not be unreasonable to expect the driver to have the change of a e20 note, especially given that over the last few years most people pay with e50 notes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

dudara wrote: »
    ].

, I personally don't think that a driver can be expected to carry enough float to provide change for everyone.

Why not ? They're going back to the takeaway every couple of deliveries where change is available.

Could you imagine the uproar if taxies were doing this !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think the main difference arises from the fact that most taxi drivers are self-employed and thus responsible for their own money. However, delivery drivers are employed by the pizza companies (for example) and I would say that they're not trusted enough to carry float and excess cash. Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

dudara wrote: »
    Once a contract is formed, the purchaser is legally obliged to provide sufficient legal tender to cover the cost of the goods/services provided. Once the purchaser has provided legal tender to cover the cost of the goods, the retailer does not have to provide change in the case where excess legal tender was offered.

I stand corrected. However, are you saying that the retailer in no way owes the excess back to the purchaser?

edit: or perhaps another question is whether there is any obligation on them to inform you they aren't giving change before they take your money, or otherwise undo the transaction when they do inform you. Just seems more than a little odd that if you were to give a shopkeeper a €50 it would immediately become legally his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I order take away I always tell them if I only have a €50 note.
    Never an issue and it's good so the driver can be organized.

But for the OP, any driver should have change to cover under €20 change.
    Next time you order just adjust and pay less. Call up the place and get a name so you can say you agreed it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Years back I managed a take away, the drivers were only supposed to have €20 on them and 2 drops per run unless there was 3 deliveries in the same estate. Now lets say your driver delivered to a house around the corner where he had to give 13 euro change it is not unusual for him to be short change if all he had left was notes. Ok its not the handiest thing in the world, the €20 limit is there for the drivers safety, I accompanied one to hospital myself once after being robbed delivering but surely if you had an issue and called the store they would credit your account for the amount and you never know, they may even throw in something extra as a goodwill gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

Well I'm off to be a pizza delivery person ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Zab wrote: »
    I stand corrected. However, are you saying that the retailer in no way owes the excess back to the purchaser?

That is exactly the case, yes.
    Zab wrote: »
    Just seems more than a little odd that if you were to give a shopkeeper a €50 it would immediately become legally his.

While this is true, a shop would not stay in business if they were to make this general practice, as no one would shop there. Change is given as good-will, not because it's actually a requirement. Any shop that refused to give change would make a very short term gain before running out of customers.

In the case of this thread, the OP could contact the shop and ask if they can credit the money off his next order. To avoid problems in future he can either have correct change for whatever is being ordered, or tell them at the time of ordering to make sure the driver has enough change.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Was not aware of the contract law, really interesting!

Think from now on I will take jor-el's advice and ensure I have the correct amount ready, or inform the place beforehand if not.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Remind them next time Sarah, they'll throw in something free to keep you happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

That may well be technically true, but it makes sense and is professional to carry a reasonable amount of change.

Any time we do deliveries I always bring change.

Advertisement