Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Old Laptop LCD as Second Monitor

Options
  • 27-02-2011 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys

Am looking for some advice. I had an old HP laptop, the motherboard got fried and it was out of waranty. I managed to remove the hard drive and make it into an external and Im trying to sell the RAM and Wireless card.

I would love to convert the LCD screen into a usable Second Monitor. So far I have removed the LCD screen and it has a ribbon connected to 40 pin LVDS connector and an on screen display board connector attached.

I would ideally like to create a monitor that can take VGA or HD output but dont have any experience of doing this.

The forums I have read online have mixed opinions. One of the more positive ones was this

http://www.ehow.com/how_5899852_connect-laptop-video-game-console.html

Any advice tips would be much appreciated.

John

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Good luck getting a compatible LCD controller (in this context really an LVDS > TMDS active converter) - they're industrial-only (AFAIK the ones that come with the laptop are 100% proprietary, and universal models are very hard to find as discrete units outside industrial applications). You might also need the timing/control schema for the panel in question to program the controller board with as not all panels use the same LVDS timings. All in all it could easily come to a lot more money than just buying a new monitor :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Sell the screen on adverts ie, buy a lcd screen on adverts ie,you need a vga input connected to the circuit ,and a power supply .it,s too complicated ,not worth the trouble.
    put ad on adverts ie,hp laptop,for sale, for parts, motherboard not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 heresjohnny

What about one of these?

http://www.njytouch.com/nm655b.htm

I have a spare VGA cable and power supply form 20 years of games consoles and gadgets. So the only expense would be the controller

Advertisement