Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to rent allowance?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I am not sure if i am in the right section but here goes... I am just wondering if i would be entitled to apply for rent allowance if my husband is in full time employment? I am unemployed on social welfare and do not get the full rate, rent is 800 and husband earns 1600 per month and we have a child on the way. It says you are not entitled to it if you are on full time employment but it will be me applying for it to pay for my half of the rent and not him. Any help much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    you will not be entitled to Rent allowance as one of the couple is working full time. Although it is you applying they look at you as a couple when carrying out the assessment.

Make sure when your child arrives that you inform social welfare and claim your childrens allowance.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

As the above poster states if either of you are in full time employment neither of you are entitled to Rent Supplement. You may however be entitled to Family Income Supplement after the baby is born. The Dept of Social Protection reckon that a family with one child should have an income of €506 per week. If a couple's earnings plus Social Welfare is below this then they will give you 60% of the difference. Forms available on line, or from you local Citizens Information Centre.

Advertisement