Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS passing over limerick

• 27-02-2011 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch sight of the International Space Station passing over Limerick just there, it looked like a very bright fast moving star. There is another pass over tonight at 20.36PM, look into the West and you may see it.

A much more impressive pass will happen tomorrow night at 19.27PM and the station will pass nearly directly overhead traveling West to East.

Check the link below for more details:
    http://www.heavens-above.com/?Loc=Limerick&Lat=52.665&Lng=-8.623&Alt=24&TZ=GMT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just missed it tonight, but one of the coolest things I've ever seen was the last launch last year when you could see the shuttle just after it had dropped the rocket and you could see both flying through the air just above ireland. very cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It was pretty spectacular tonight, very clear. Keep an eye on the astronomy forum for the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

If you have a scanner tune it into 145.800 fm and you could be lucky enough to hear the astronaut in the video below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

bump for timing ...run outside - look up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

too cloudy in shannon anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Unless it was planning on doing a low level fly by and buzzing the tower at Conagh then there was no chance of seeing it in Limerick due to cloud cover :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Is it passing tonite?If so what time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Is it passing tonite?If so what time?

Satellite Rise time Direction to look Transit time Max elevation Magnitude

CZ-4B R/B 06:57:49 am N 07:01:52 51° 1.6 (visible)

NanoSail-D 06:39:04 pm NNW 06:43:33 85° 3.0 (visible)

GOCE (flaring satellite) 07:01:20 pm S 07:03:25 34° 4.5 (dim)

XSS-11 07:10:39 pm NNE 07:14:00 66° 4.2 (dim)

ISS - Discovery 07:53:20 pm W 07:55:46 69° -3.8 (very bright)

Idefix and Ariane 42B 10:05:06 pm N 10:10:24 36° 3.3 (dim)

I think these are correct. The astronomy section has good guides for viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

I saw it clearly tonight for over a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

I saw it clearly tonight for over a minute.

As did I, but it was gone as soon as I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Just saw the shuttle and space station pass over. Shuttle was ahead of the space station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Bump to say that you can catch the ISS passing over Limerick in the coming days (and later tonight). I saw it earlier to night and it was dazzling bright and truly awe inspiring to think that there are people living on that brilliant point of light.

More info here:

http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=52.733&lng=-6.293&loc=Limerick&alt=118&tz=GMT

Edit: Next pass (Fri/Sat morning) at 3.42 - 3.48am, azimuth in the South (look directly up while facing the South) at 3.45am. To see face South and scan west to east, it will be the brightest object in the sky and moving very fast

Advertisement