Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

123.ie House Insurance Avoid at all Cost!!

Options
  • 27-02-2011 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am posting this to warn people out there to avoid 123.ie at all cost! They may seem cheap and easy to get insured online, just a few clicks and it`s done. Here is what happened to me and it could just as easy happen to you. In January 2009 while being insured by 123.ie I made a claim for some oil which had leaked out of the tank and seeped into the ground around it, sounds basic, but after they had cleaned up all the oil it turned out to cost over 16,000 euro, of which I got 80euro. Ok so that was pretty high but it was all sorted by 123.ie. Fast forward to today and about 4 weeks ago 123.ie emailed me to say my house insurance is up for renewal again, but they cannot reinsure me as a previous claim was too high and their underwriter had sinced changed! So now NO company in Ireland will insure me, and 123,ie wont either. So am currently without any house insurance all thanks to 123.ie they are the most incompetant insurance company ever. I have been since warned by the major insurance companies that most cheap online insurance companies are terribly badly run! So AVOID!!!!:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

bitzi wrote: »
    I am posting this to warn people out there to avoid 123.ie at all cost! They may seem cheap and easy to get insured online, just a few clicks and it`s done. Here is what happened to me and it could just as easy happen to you. In January 2009 while being insured by 123.ie I made a claim for some oil which had leaked out of the tank and seeped into the ground around it, sounds basic, but after they had cleaned up all the oil it turned out to cost over 16,000 euro, of which I got 80euro. Ok so that was pretty high but it was all sorted by 123.ie. Fast forward to today and about 4 weeks ago 123.ie emailed me to say my house insurance is up for renewal again, but they cannot reinsure me as a previous claim was too high and their underwriter had sinced changed! So now NO company in Ireland will insure me, and 123,ie wont either. So am currently without any house insurance all thanks to 123.ie they are the most incompetant insurance company ever. I have been since warned by the major insurance companies that most cheap online insurance companies are terribly badly run! So AVOID!!!!:mad::mad:

interesting....i was just thinking of switching.
    sorry to hear you got screwed :eek::eek::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I thought 123.ie were just brokers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭galwegians

thanks for the warning was thinking of get a qoute of them,
    but i will avoide them now.

THANKS, sorry for your own bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Of course you are warned by the "major" insurance companies that they are badly run, because they want you to go to their higher priced business.

Your claim has made you a risk, which their underwriters have deemed as too much of a risk to take on as new business. Unfortunately, this is the way of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

So now NO company in Ireland will insure me, and 123,ie wont either.
    Why will no other company insure you, what do they say? 16 grand isin't that much so one would expect a slightly higher premim for a few years but a refusal to cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

This is nothing to do with 123.ie "incompetence". It's the insurance companies that don't want to take on the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

What do you mean by this? Did you only have to pay 80 euro towards the clean up and the insurance covered the rest or did the insurance only pay 80 towards the 16,000 bill and you had to pay the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bitzi

I only recieved 80 euro from the claim. The company paid the rest. No other insurance companies will insure me as I AM NOW A RISK, 123.IE have really left me hung out to dry!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I only recieved 80 euro from the claim. The company paid the rest. No other insurance companies will insure me as I AM NOW A RISK, 123.IE have really left me hung out to dry!:eek:

That's not 123.ie's fault.

You ARE a risk. You claimed for €16,000. That's a large sum (For the reason you gave). Insurance is a gamble, and honestly, they're not going to gamble on you!

It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

AFAIK the HAVE to quote you as your previous ensurer contact insurance ombudsman at

3rd Floor, Lincoln House,
    Lincoln Place,
    Dublin 2

Lo Call: 1890 88 20 90
    Tel: +353 1 6620899
    Fax: +353 1 6620890

Public Office Hours
    10.00hrs - 13.00hrs
    14.00hrs - 17.00hrs

hope it helps

Griff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stuartp

XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The underwriters (insurer) they use for Home insurance has changed and it's perfectly reasonable, though unfortunate, that they refuse to cover you past your renewal date. They did the same with my parents home insurance as their new insurer (RSA, of whom 123.ie is a subsidiary) doesn't cover our area at all because we're a 'flood risk'. We're actually high up on a hill but that's another story.

Are you sure it's really the case that no insurer in the whole country will cover you? It took me ages to find one that would cover my parents house but we did in the end. 16k seems rather small on a property policy when your house might be insured for 150k, but in terms of the escape of domestic oil it's a rather substantial sum.

My advice would be to try other insurers/brokers and if your home is mortgaged to also contact your mortgage provider to get their input as they'll require you to have insurance (and may be helpful in securing it for you for that reason).

There is no issue of 'incompetence' on 123's part. I'd never deal with them myself for a range of reasons but in your case they haven't done anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

123 are an insurance broker essentially, their underwriters changed from Travellers to Rsa during the year so they are entitled to not provide renewal terms.

However, if no other insurer will quote you, they must. I suggest contacting the insurance ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry to hear about this OP. Not sure what you could do.
    Which brings me to another question.
    Isn't there a requirement from whoever provides your mortgage that you home is insured at all times (I could be incorrect and this may not be relevant for homeowners without a mortgage)
    Is this is the case how does not having home insurance effect your mortgage terms and conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am confused.

What do you think should have happened here?

Do you think 123 should have advised you not to claim as you would not get insurance next year. And to pay the 16k yourself?

Is this what you would have preferred?

Would you have had €16k to pay for it yourself?

Please clarify.

I don't understand the reason that the claim cost so much, and it out of my power to stop the claim once I had rang and they started sending out all those assessors. What's the point making a claim on your house insurance if it means you may not get insured again,? I really don't know, but in future I will be very careful with any claims I might make, if I can get insured again! Oh the pain!

Thanks, I have since rang and emailed every insurance company, and broeker in Ireland and nobody will help, thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm still confused why you think it is 123's fault

:confused:

Pls clarify

Advertisement