Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@the Park - Marley Park concerts 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

scudzilla wrote: »
    Went down to the Spar today and met up with an old friend, apparently he said that he was talking to an old school friend of his, who's neighbour is a distant auntie of a guy who used to work in a certain Dunnes Stores (Not gonna mention which one as it'll give the game away)
    Anyways, the manager of this Dunnes Stores has a sister who left Ireland to live in UK 8 years ago, this sister get's her milk delivered from the Milkman, and this exact same Milkman used to go to school with the Uncle of Matt Bellamy, he spoke with Matt's Uncle last week and apparently Muse will be playing Ireland this year.

Hope that clears up the mystery for you guys ;)

It's a small world eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

egan2020 wrote: »
    When is Marley usually on? If it's July, I'd say Muse are unlikely. They don't have any dates on their site for July and this may be because Kate Hudson is due their baby in July.

Usually around the middle of August I think but last year Green Day was the middle of June

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Went down to the Spar today and met up with an old friend, apparently he said that he was talking to an old school friend of his, who's neighbour is a distant auntie of a guy who used to work in a certain Dunnes Stores (Not gonna mention which one as it'll give the game away)
    Anyways, the manager of this Dunnes Stores has a sister who left Ireland to live in UK 8 years ago, this sister get's her milk delivered from the Milkman, and this exact same Milkman used to go to school with the Uncle of Matt Bellamy, he spoke with Matt's Uncle last week and apparently Muse will be playing Ireland this year.

Hope that clears up the mystery for you guys ;)

You're being sarcastic right?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Definitely not Muse, Matt just tweeted that Reading and Leads were the only European dates for the Summer. Looks like I'm going to Reading :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

23rd July - Villagers, with support from Beach House:
    http://www.wearevillagers.com/live/

maybe there'll be a few gigs like this instead...

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Villagers-Are-First-Act-Announced-For-New-Marlay-Park-Gigs/65952.htm
    After the phenomenal year Conor O'Brien has had, picking up nominations for both the Mercury Music Prize and our own Choice Music Prize along with his ever increasing popularity both at home and abroad, Villagers are set to play their biggest ever headline show at Marlay Park this summer.

Now, before you comment that that's a touch ambitious, even after such a successful year, bear in mind this won't be an open air show, but rather the first of a new series of "intimate" concerts to take place at a tented venue called @The Park. And to make the €33.60 ticket price worthwhile, Villagers will be joined on the night in question by Baltimore duo Beach House, whose latest album 'Teen Dream' was one of the most critically acclaimed of last year.

Villagers play @ The Park on Saturday July 23rd with support from Beach House. Tickets go on sale next Friday April 8th at 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

23rd July - Villagers, with support from Beach House:
    http://www.wearevillagers.com/live/

maybe there'll be a few gigs like this instead...

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Villagers-Are-First-Act-Announced-For-New-Marlay-Park-Gigs/65952.htm

who??

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Please God tell me Beach House are bigger than Villagers. This announcement is one of the strangest gig ideas I've ever encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

BLAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAWAH!

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

aphex™ wrote: »
    BLAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAWAH!

No.

On an international scale, Villagers are nothing and Beach House are considered to have released one of the best albums of last year. Sadly, this is Ireland.

allanb49 wrote: »
    who??

Villagers had a no.1 album here and were nominated for the Mercury Music Prize, and Beach House had 2 of the best reviewed albums of the last few years. one of their songs is in the Guinness ad at the moment.
    anyone vaguely into indie/alternative music would be aware of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

who? why ? mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully there is a few of these smaller gigs. Maybe we could get Biffy Clyro in one of the days

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Villagers are boring as fcuk.Very disappointing announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Saw villagers in Galway back in November and they were immense, absolutely brilliant but won't be making the treck to Dublin to see them

Rodrigo Y Gabriela and Seasick Steve playing there on July 31:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/04/01/gigroll-the-park-and-belsonic/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,435 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Taking place within the unique surroundings of Marlay Park, @ The Park will provide fans with some of the best live music the venue has seen, all located within a dark intimate surroundings of the tent giving people the festival experience set to the picturesque backdrop of the Dublin mountains. Throughout the years the venue has provided a stage for some of the world's biggest performers including Radiohead, The Who, Aerosmith, The White Stripes, R.E.M., Daft Punk and Van Morrison. Continuing on in this fine tradition Marlay Park is about to be transformed into a music lovers paradise once again.

confirmed Acts so far

Sat 23 July-Villagers and Beach House
    Sat 31 July- Rodrigo Y Gabriela and Seasick Steve.

Seems we might never see Metallica in Marlay Park again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Boo. I don't like the new thing, it's just another Live at the Marquee. The only good thing about it is that it might run a week or two, instead of just one or two concerts. And the tickets are like half the price.

still €40 for two acts in a tent, is it worth it, and add onto that bands that really don't have a lot of appeal, sure rodrigo y gabriella are cool and good i just don't see this as being a success,

Marlay has always been about one off great gigs,

- Metallica
    - Foo Fighters
    - Green Day
    - White Stripes
    - Sting
    - Van Morrison
    - The Who
    - Aerosmith

Bands/Artists with recognition, now however it seems they're shovelling what in my opinion is ****e indie bands that only a handful of die hards and scenesters will like,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

They're just looking for more money. Pop up a cheap tent instead of a massive stage and throw on a load of acts that have a bit of a cult following that won't be madly expensive to book over a two week period. You'll earn much more than getting massive bands once a year. Its disappointing though. Green Day last year were incredible and Killers in 08 were excellent too. I like those big Marlay gigs

They're just looking for more money. Pop up a cheap tent instead of a massive stage and throw on a load of acts that have a bit of a cult following that won't be madly expensive to book over a two week period. You'll earn much more than getting massive bands once a year. Its disappointing though. Green Day last year were incredible and Killers in 08 were excellent too. I like those big Marlay gigs

Yeah, it was probably the best big outdoor venue. Both Villagers and Rodrigo y Gabriela played in Ireland at least a couple of times last year. So it's not like the acts are going to be a big deal either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Maybe the people around Marley didnt want anymore big gigs there?

If we get a few gigs there instead of 2 or 3 it should be good , i do agree it is a great place for gigs lovely setting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Would be great if they booked a Judas Priest/Queensryche show at this.

Would be great if they booked a Judas Priest/Queensryche show at this.

Perfect size venue aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

Perfect size venue aswell.
    You've got my hopes up now you ****er!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm pretty sure MCD will add at least 1 metal gig to this tent thing, hoping it's Priest, can't be arsed wit Quuensryche as seen them last Dec headlining Hard Rock Hell and they were awfull, Geoff spent 5 mins in between each song just ranting about meaningless crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

So, instead of one big gig, there's going to be a few acts in a tent?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Whats the capacity of this 'Tent'??

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

this is going to bomb for mcd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I hear there is ample room for Phantom's two listeners.

Advertisement