Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@the Park - Marley Park concerts 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

allanb49 wrote: »
    this is going to bomb for mcd

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i just have a feeling it won't sell well at all. People aren't going to pay the guts of €50 to Travel to Marlay. stand in a tent in a park that will have poor sound and only two acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I quite like both bands but its pretty bad value when you look at Villagers and Elbow costing a bit less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Jeez ...they're really scrapin' the barrel this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Shando316 wrote: »

So kinda fits the non-existance of a mid sized venue in Dublin perfectly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Replace Villagers with Grizzly Bear and you have yourself a good gig.

More bands being announced for Marlay tomorrow. Id say Corona's will headline a day with them also announcing details of their biggest gig yet tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

The Coronas, KT Tunstall, Bell X 1 and Editors are all gonna be playing according to Music Scene Ireland

Yup Bell X1 with Editors supporting are playing 6th August. Surprised Editors are supporting though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Wow it's all very run of the mill so far, isn't it?

Three domestic acts and an international act that may as well be a domestic act.

And none of the support bands are exactly scarce on these shores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

still €40 for two acts in a tent, is it worth it, and add onto that bands that really don't have a lot of appeal, sure rodrigo y gabriella are cool and good i just don't see this as being a success,

Marlay has always been about one off great gigs,

- Metallica
    - Foo Fighters
    - Green Day
    - White Stripes
    - Sting
    - Van Morrison
    - The Who
    - Aerosmith

Bands/Artists with recognition, now however it seems they're shovelling what in my opinion is ****e indie bands that only a handful of die hards and scenesters will like,

They played there twice. I hope that this sells very few tickets. IMO it's a stupid idea for a gig. It would've been better suited to the Iveagh Grounds.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Stornoway added to the Villagers line up, makes it a bit more tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yup Bell X1 with Editors supporting are playing 6th August. Surprised Editors are supporting though

This.

Cant believe that,reckon there'll be a few leavers after Editors

Hopefully since they are have gigs in July and August we might grab a few acts from Reading/Leeds

E.g

Deftones with Rise Against
    Offspring with New Found Glory
    30 Seconds To Mars with Enter Shikari

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

long gone are the days when the mighty daft punk played marlay!

(id go see editors in fairness)

Hopefully since they are have gigs in July and August we might grab a few acts from Reading/Leeds

E.g

Deftones with Rise Against
    Offspring with New Found Glory
    30 Seconds To Mars with Enter Shikari

Would love the offspring over, but doubt it very much, they've only played here once in the last ten years and been over in the uk about 4 times.

Where here in 2004 but in england for conspiricy of one in 01, 04 with splinter 05 or 06 with the greatest hits and 08 with rise and fall.

They sold out the point in 04 which is why it's surprising that they haven't been back since??

Flogging Molly would be a nice addition to this tent thing but they'll probably get a 30 minute slot at oxegen if they come over

Would love the offspring over, but doubt it very much, they've only played here once in the last ten years and been over in the uk about 4 times.

Where here in 2004 but in england for conspiricy of one in 01, 04 with splinter 05 or 06 with the greatest hits and 08 with rise and fall.

They sold out the point in 04 which is why it's surprising that they haven't been back since??

Flogging Molly would be a nice addition to this tent thing but they'll probably get a 30 minute slot at oxegen if they come over

Yea would love to see Offspring and since id say they would easily sell out the Olympia but no way the O2 and along with NFG would shift a few more tickets

Well they sold out the old point, and i'd say us auld fellas would love to see them, since they don't play here that often you'd easily get a big capacity in the o2, but olympia would be a nicer setting.

Getting my hopes up.

Well they sold out the old point, and i'd say us auld fellas would love to see them, since they don't play here that often you'd easily get a big capacity in the o2, but olympia would be a nicer setting.

Getting my hopes up.

Yea Olympia would be cool , but i would rather them sell out the Tent thing then play to a decent capacity in the O2 . Although i no in the UK they are bringing this thing in with the O2 and similar venues where you rent it as a 4,000/6,000 etc capacity so you dont need to rent out the whole venue and they will put curtains around the non used sections so it looks like a better turn out.
    It should be done over here since we dont have a medium sized venue

2 Many DJs with special guest Felix Da Housecat announced for @The Park on Friday 29 July. Tickets are on sale next Friday, 15 April at 9am

• Advertisement

i no in the UK they are bringing this thing in with the O2 and similar venues where you rent it as a 4,000/6,000 etc capacity so you dont need to rent out the whole venue and they will put curtains around the non used sections so it looks like a better turn out.
    It should be done over here since we dont have a medium sized venue

It is done in the O2, Lily Allen and I believe Kiss were two gigs with sections closed off.

I'd say bands like The Offspring and Deftones would be better suited to the Olympia. Saw The Offspring a few years ago at Pukkelpop and it brought back memories (was a big fan of them in my teens).

/adjusted thread title to include name of event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

2 Many DJs with special guest Felix Da Housecat announced for @The Park on Friday 29 July. Tickets are on sale next Friday, 15 April at 9am
    Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Brilliant.

Although that means two days more in Marlay Park then I intended ever in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was the Offspring a sell-out in the point? Seemed pretty dead in there but I blame irritating kids for that :mad: (although I was happily at the front railing :pac:)

Flogging Molly got a pretty long set when they played Oxegen in 08 (2nd to last in one of the tents on the Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

christ, they must play here every 2nd month at this stage. no doubt it'll be pretty much the exact same set as the last few times they've played here.
    lazy booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

PeterTwo wrote: »
    Stornoway added to the Villagers line up, makes it a bit more tasty.

Villagers, Beach House, Stornaway.....quality, just got my tickets for this:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfI_dcH1d9U

christ, they must play here every 2nd month at this stage. no doubt it'll be pretty much the exact same set as the last few times they've played here.
    lazy booking.

Yea MCD seem to be going with bands they have played Ireland numerous times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

didnt get to see 2manydjs in the academy last time so definately going to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Must admit bit dissapointed given the bands that have played in the past. Havnt even heard of a few of them this year. Having said that still excited to go see rodrigo y gabriela. man i love those guys

Advertisement