Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@the Park - Marley Park concerts 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I don't know if I'm looking forward to the tent series of concerts to be honest.

Even though I only went to one show at the old Marlay Park, which was Green Day, I will miss that feeling of standing out on that pitch in the summer hearing great music and screaming fans all over.

We already have the Marquee in Cork, Dublin doesn't really need its own version.

Might get tickets for The Coronas to see how good it can be but I'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

i live beside the park, i love when the concerts are on there is a real buzz around the aera plus i have seen all of my favourite for free acts because my estate gets free tickets coldplay, oasis,green day, paramore, whitestripes, daftpunk, foo fighters and fatboyslim amazin.now the concerts are going to be in a ****ty 6000 capicity tent, this rules out any really good acts, rip the good old days of the proper marleypark concerts,there all crap dis year except for 2 many dj's and seasick steve

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

best gig ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, hppefully these new giggs will be so crap they will have to go back to the massive acts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Does anyone know if there is camping facilities at these gigs, or is there a place nearby to park a campervan?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What a load of cack tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Good to see more than one gig back at Marlay. None overly impressive so far but maybe another gig or two will be announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Nothing amazing this year alright. I'll be going to the Bell x1/Editors gig, that's about it. Looking forward to that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Physically cannot wait for Rodrigo Y Gabriela

been dying to see them live for a couple of years now

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

I was considering driving to the Rodriguo y Gabriella gig, I was just wondering is there parking available at marley park? thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

callaway92 wrote: »
    Physically cannot wait for Rodrigo Y Gabriela

been dying to see them live for a couple of years now

they played a couple of nights in the grand canal this year. I seen both gigs. They where fantastic. Suited a seated gig, not really an outdoor duo IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

gsxr1 wrote: »
    they played a couple of nights in the grand canal this year. I seen both gigs. They where fantastic. Suited a seated gig, not really an outdoor duo IMO.
    I was gonna say something similar. Seen them on the first night in Grand Canal only 5 rows from the stage...stunning performance with it being seated and a haunting quiet from the crowd so we could hear them play :D

I think I'll be off to see them in Marlay too, and with Seasick Steve there...it'll be a good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Cashier No.9 to play with Editors and Bell XI.

Dunno much of their stuff,but at least I get more music for my money before i leave after Editors!!

http://mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=1495017&ar=bellx1&cat=all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Gemma Hayes supporting Rodriego Y Gabriella too.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

Suprised no one has mentioned Who legend Rodger Daltry doing Tommy....going to be epic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

bigbudda wrote: »
    Suprised no one has mentioned Who legend Rodger Daltry doing Tommy....going to be epic!!!

I think there was a seperate thread for it. I can't wait, gonna be the best of the bunch!! I'm really looking forward to it. His voice has been on top form too. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aXojRLZXuE

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Anyone know what times to expect the bands to be on at? I'm working in clontarf till 5.15 on friday but I'm hoping to make it out to Marlay Park in time for the Coronas at least. I'm estimating i'll be in the tent no later than 7pm. Should be early enough to see a few of the acts given that doors are at 5pm?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

Gillington wrote: »
    Cashier No.9 to play with Editors and Bell XI.

Dunno much of their stuff,but at least I get more music for my money before i leave after Editors!!

http://mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=1495017&ar=bellx1&cat=all

Cashier are brill!! id defo invest in their album before the gig.... seen them at sea sessions without ever hearing of them, and was suprised with the quality of the album!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Loved the Villagers album, and was all set to go to the Marley gig until I saw O'Brien's new band on The View recently, and they were really poor. Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Was anybody at the concert there last night, Coronas? What was the venue like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

sxt wrote: »
    Was anybody at the concert there last night, Coronas? What was the venue like ?

I was and it's great. They have a really good set up there. Big top type Tent where the bands are. Outside like a food market and picnic tables for people to sit around. Just a great relaxed atmosphere. A couple of pictures I took:

222550_10150262105144268_590259267_7325839_1318845_n.jpg

281642_10150262104594268_590259267_7325832_2207942_n.jpg

282463_10150262105044268_590259267_7325837_3795803_n.jpg

Inside the Tent:
    198706_10150262105509268_590259267_7325843_7365320_n.jpg
    206452_10150262106794268_590259267_7325869_4841248_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

That looks pretty cool. Maybe I should have gone to Villagers tonight. Might yet hit up a gig next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Great pics @ Shinny. looks impresssive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Not as terrible as I was fearing in terms of sound but not convinced enough to give Joanna Newsom a look today. Certainly echoey and not nearly balanced enough with a bass heavy sound. Setup is actually fairly nice down there but it just doesn't need a tent. I'm guessing they didn't want to take the risk of the events being rained out but when the weather is as good as it was it is a shame to be inside.

Beach House were good but suffered from being in a support slot and not having more time. Villagers struggled to headline I felt and though they had an excellent start and finish dragged a bit in the middle with new material. Would have been better in a real venue where that can be appreciated. Personally I'd have liked to see the billing reversed but I got that a lot of people were there just for Villagers so I'm probably in the minority thinking that.

As it is I just can't get my head around why this series of events exist. The attendance wasn't enough to justify the setup. The bands booked don't suit the acoustics of a tent and there really isn't too much gained by the quasi festival setup when the stage is covered. It was kinda nice to be able to sit on the grass with a beer and get a roast pork sandwich but at the cost of the acoustics it wasn't worth it. Had it been full on rock/dance acts I'd be less concerned but quiet indie sorts... baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cannot bloody wait for Seasick Steve and Rodrigo Y Gabriela next weekend!

Tent/picnic area looks pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I have a feeling 2 many djs will be epic in that tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

that tent looks like it came straight from oxegen..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    I have a feeling 2 many djs will be epic in that tent.

Agreed, can't wait for it now!

Two of my friends got seating tickets, anyone know will they be able to get into the standing area or are they strict on this?.. sitting at 2manydjs wouldn't be as fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Jello wrote: »
    Agreed, can't wait for it now!

Two of my friends got seating tickets, anyone know will they be able to get into the standing area or are they strict on this?.. sitting at 2manydjs wouldn't be as fun.

Well we did at The Coronas gig. We stood up the front to watch Roy Seven not a bother. Only had to show our tickets when we headed to our seats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just back from the always glorious Joanna Newsom and must say I was surprised at the effectiveness of the sound system. I'd been filled with dread when it was announced as an outdoor gig, but she could be playing in the middle of an active construction site and I'd still have to go so enamored I am by her live performances! And the support acts (a damn good Bert Jansch, a IMO bland McMorrow) definitely sounded 'hollow' and sort of empty in a large, far from packed tent. But they knocked up the clarity for fair Joanna, and it was a damn good gig all in all - not quite the intimate glory of her last two Dublin gigs, but a bitchin' setlist, an understated but very effective backing band and a very respectful crowd (barring the frickin' shhhers during one song). Still my favourite live act, although deeply surprised by the absence of Peach Plum Pear :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

CiaranK wrote: »
    I think there was a seperate thread for it. I can't wait, gonna be the best of the bunch!! I'm really looking forward to it. His voice has been on top form too. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aXojRLZXuE

Hiya CiaranK, I was at the gig tonight in England, I posted a quick review on the other thread. :)

Advertisement