Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Owl.....Road Kill

• 27-02-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

While driving home last Sunday afternoon I saw what I thought was a dead hawk on the roadside. Today I was travelling on the same road and decided to see if it was still there……..it was…..

This is the first Owl that I have ever seen but unfortunately, as you can see, it is dead. Road kill at it’s worst. I checked if it had a ring or tag for ID/stats etc, it hadn’t. Checking up on my bird guide book when I got home this evening I reckon it is a Tawny Owl, but more than likely I’m wrong…..open to correction yet again.

Location, approx 2km east of Tyrrellspass on the old N6 Galway-Dublin road. The photos were taken with a camera phone, hence the poor quality. My boot, a size 9, might give some sort of measurement.

005copyk.jpg

004copy.jpg

003copye.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd have said short-eared owl. We don't have the tawny here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I'd have said short-eared owl. We don't have the tawny here.

Thanks Mr P, I'm still on a steep learnig curve here........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

It's a long eared owl. The facial disc is too dark for short eared owl. Also the streaking on underparts of short owl is a vertical streak not the cross-like streaking on long eared owl. Lucky the bird killed was a long eared owl and not the much rarer Barn Owl, still sad though...
    Here's a photo of a short eared owl for comparison:
    4qo6x0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks Feargal, it's amazing how well preserved he is after a week, only his eyes were gone.........

Advertisement