Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for an artist/parlour in Dublin? Someone good at Sailor Jerry-style..

Options
  • 27-02-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey everyone,
    been trying to find artists and tattoo parlours that would be really good at designing sailor Jerry type tattoos...I'm having a bit of trouble. I want to get 'Stay True' and maybe a swallow/flowers, any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 headphoned

Hi there,

Check out Classic Ink in Crow St, Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jmcadublin

checkout colourworks, temple bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

+ 1 for the lads in Colourworks.
    I'm booked in with Rob next week for some old school style work.
    Check out their work man, impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Classic Ink would definitely be your best bet for that type of style.

Also, Joe Deegan is very good at traditional style tattoos.
    Here's his facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nynlo

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mayce

went to Classic Ink last week, booked an appt for this week. first of all didn't even get to talk to Tommy, had to get what I wanted relayed to him by the guy at the front desk, even though he was there and didn't seem busy. went in a few days later to see the sketch, asked for a few things to be tweaked (not changed, TWEAKED) and brought a picture of the type of swallow I wanted - TYPE, I didn't want the exact same one, just liked the face on it because it was cute and I don't want a really old school sailor man style tattoo (I'm a 25 year old female). also asked for there to be ac actual flower rather than the random swirls he had in. anyways. went in today for it, the sketch was exactly the same. said the same things, basically that I want the swallow slightly more new school, etc.

Tommy is the most egotistical unprofessional asshole ever. really needs an attitude adjustment, absolutely shocked at what just happened. things along the lines of "my tattoo is perfect", "the tattoo you have now is ugly and badly done" (I had it done by a renowned artist in Montreal and its gorgeous), etc. were said. When I brought up colour he was like "well this is a LINE drawing, there's no colour" - gee, thanks.

Basically he didn't understand that getting a tattoo needs to be a collaboration between artist and client. he took everything I said personally as if I was attacking his drawing even though I really did like it, it just wasn't EXACTLY what I wanted and a few things I wanted to change. it ended with him saying "you're more hassle than this is worth, and I don't need the money" and when I tried to respond to that he interrupted with "why are you still talking" and showed me the door. needless to say that was the most unprofessional and childish thing he could have done, I can't believe the man owns an actual shop.

I don't care how good he might be, there is no way I'd allow a permanent mark on my body by him. getting a tattoo should be a good experience and you should be able to build some kind of rapport with your artist. not gonna happen with Tommy unless you really don't care what your tattoo looks like.

gonna contact Deegan, really hope he actually cares about his clients.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I don't even know why I suggested going in to them, mayce. I've had the exact same type of experience with the shop in the past.

It's an unfortunate thing that so many tattoo shops/tattooists out there provide such **** customer service and inflated egos.

in a weird way, that's really good to hear. I obviously knew I wasn't being out of line (its going to be on MY body, I damn well better like it regardless of whether the artist prefers it another way), but at least it wasn't just me.

do you have any experiences with Deegan or another artist, Paulee? and thanks for sharing by the way.

I haven't been tattooed by Deegan but I know a good few people who have. All the work I've seen from him is very solid. Sure have a look at his portfolio and see what you think.

Just as an aside, I've had people give me a design before that they wanted tattooed on them. 99% of the time either the design will have to be modified/enhanced so it works as a tattoo. Other times the artwork just isn't very good and it's not something I'd be willing to tattoo unless I redrew it.

I'm not defending the behavior of Tommy in Classic Ink because I'm not a fan of their attitude either but you also have to be prepared for the fact that a tattoo artist might not want to tattoo your design exactly because they feel it is lacking. But that's why you are paying them to do the tattoo...they are the artist, you are not.

oh don't get me wrong - I went in with an idea and left it to him, then brought in a picture a few days later just to show the kind of style I want - by no means did I want the same thing (sure if I'm paying an artist I want an original design). that being said if I wanted something tweaked, the artist shouldn't be a dick about it. and THAT being said, if someone was adamant about wanting some hideous thing done exactly as it was, they should have the final say. hopefully most people actually trust their artists and admire their previous work enough to take in their advice.

Deegan's portfolio is amazing, I was just curious about his personality. I emailed him though and he seems really nice.

Thanks for all the advice, do you have a website yourself/where do you work? I'd be sure to recommend you to others :)

Don't think I can post anything about my tattoos on the forum, mayce. Might be against the rules. I did send you a PM though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Greg in Connected ink in temple bar does some really nice new school stuff. also one of the nicest people you could hope to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Mayce if I was you I'd go into Colourworks, the 2 lads are the most approachable tattoo artists I've ever met imho.

Also in my experience, everyone in Classic Ink is fairly bet up their own holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

it's such a shame that you had a bad experience in classic ink mayce!

i am in the middle of having my half sleeve done by tommy (pics in show me yours) and i've always got on grand with him... though it is off putting when you have to tell the reception guy what you want, for my first tattoo the message got all confused and the drawing up took FOREVER because of it..

it's funny that you keep calling him an artist because he told me he absolutely hates when people say that, he was like "i'm a tattooer, that's what i do".

best of luck with wherever you go for your tattoo, i hope you're really happy with it!

Advertisement