Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCC and Luttreslestown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Debating is probably second to none. Someone won in Oxford last year.

I started in 2006, and took part in a creative writing course that year, run by the now-principal. I think the main reason that I left was not being pushed. If I was passing, teachers didn't care.

One teacher in particular, who I had for French and Religion, would give us the answers for the tests and have us learn them off!

That's pretty shocking to be fair. But I suppose the general problem with any school such as CCC is that they really do cater for a wide range of abilities, and in situations like that teachers are often forced to 'aim at the middle' or just below, to ensure that the majority are keeping up. Which means that the good students are left to fend for themselves a lot.

I wonder looking back now whether they would ever consider introducing streaming. When I started there it was one of their flagship policies, promoting cooperation across the academic divide so to speak. But it has be shown to produce very good results for the top set (though not so much for those lower down, hence its controversial nature). In a school as large & diverse as CCC though I wonder if it is something they will consider eventually, if they want to maintain their good results.

I'm glad you're happy where you are now, and got out of there sane :p I do have fond memories of the place, specifically of certain teachers who were very supportive: I suppose it is just luck whether you come across a teacher who really gets behind you. I was lucky enough to have a few.

And funny you should mention Oxford- I'm studying at the Other Place now, Cambridge :p From CCC to Cambridge, it is possible! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

gutenberg wrote: »
    I wonder looking back now whether they would ever consider introducing streaming.
    They don't have streaming?!?
    I went to Coolmine in mid 80s and they had streaming. I don't think that I would have done as well as I did without streaming. Even with it, there were classes where I would have been at the lower end so that might have hindered those at the top end of those subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

daymobrew wrote: »
    They don't have streaming?!?
    I went to Coolmine in mid 80s and they had streaming. I don't think that I would have done as well as I did without streaming. Even with it, there were classes where I would have been at the lower end so that might have hindered those at the top end of those subjects.

The last time I checked, CCC still don't stream, they really love their mixed ability classes. The one subject they do stream for is maths, but that's only from second year onwards when everyone is divided between Higher and Ordinary. For all other subjects the classes are mixed: obviously you do have Higher & Ordinary classes for subjects such as Irish & English, but within an Honours class you could have a wide range of abilities, there was no 'top set'.

Once you get to LC there's a certain amount of self-selection going on, as people tend to choose subjects they are better at, so the ability range may not be as stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

CCC still don't stream

Advertisement