Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popcorn!

Options
  • 27-02-2011 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Anyone know if Kelkin Natural Microwave Popcorn is vegan?

Ingredients:

Popping Corn (Maize)
    Vegetable Oil
    Salt

I've heard lots of things about microwave popcorn, even the ones the say "natural".

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

It would be kind of surprising if it isn't. Do you have reason to ask, seeing as the ingredient list indicates that it is vegan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Shoplifters

It would be kind of surprising if it isn't. Do you have reason to ask, seeing as the ingredient list indicates that it is vegan?

Well, the ingedients appear to be vegan, yes. But on their site, there's a list of dairy-free products, and the popcorn isn't on the list. That's why I ask...

http://www.kelkin.ie/dairyfree.html

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

ya got this before and ate it. strangly enough it doesnt say vegan on website but ingrediants look fine but i think it would put me off getting it again. got the kernals today, think there the safest way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Well, the ingedients appear to be vegan, yes. But on their site, there's a list of dairy-free products, and the popcorn isn't on the list. That's why I ask...

http://www.kelkin.ie/dairyfree.html

Fair enough, but they've also not listed the seeds they sell in the dairy free range either. The products in the dairyfree range seem to be the more processed end of their range. Maybe they've overlooked the fact that people may be worried.

http://www.kelkin.ie/seeds.html

I bet if you send them a quick email at info@kelkin.ie they'll be able to set your fears at ease and will prob. send you free stuff (vegan only hopefully) for the effort you made in contacting them and alerting them to worries their customers have:)

Fair enough, but they've also not listed the seeds they sell in the dairy free range either. The products in the dairyfree range seem to be the more processed end of their range. Maybe they've overlooked the fact that people may be worried.

http://www.kelkin.ie/seeds.html

I bet if you send them a quick email at info@kelkin.ie they'll be able to set your fears at ease and will prob. send you free stuff (vegan only hopefully) for the effort you made in contacting them and alerting them to worries their customers have:)

I'll give that a try. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

OP I assume you mean the popcorn that comes in bags that you just pop in the microwave. Why not use the ones that you make yourself by just adding oil in a saucepan, all they contain is the popcorn and taste way better. Try rip open one of those microwave popcorn bags and the amount of butter on the inside of the bag would be enough to turn your stomach.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

+1 on 'pop your own', just way better tasting and healthier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

so annoying how hard it is to get the 'pop your own' in tescos, usually just microwave popcorn everywhere but the asian shops are good for buying it!

I got a mail from Kelkin. they said that they are dairy free. But yeah, I'll probably just buy the kernels myself!

Thanks for the replies people!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Embojitsu

--LOS-- wrote: »
    OP I assume you mean the popcorn that comes in bags that you just pop in the microwave. Why not use the ones that you make yourself by just adding oil in a saucepan, all they contain is the popcorn and taste way better. Try rip open one of those microwave popcorn bags and the amount of butter on the inside of the bag would be enough to turn your stomach.
    I agree - also the stuff you make yourself doesn't put that greasy film on the roof of your mouth. Bleurgh. Home-made popcorn is by far the best of all snacks, delicious with aromat on it. Mmmmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm eating Manhatten popcorn and it's yum diddly scrum scrum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

love that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Popcorn and MSG :eek:
    If a cinema sold that their would be war

Advertisement