Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballet Beginner?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone,

A few years ago i done ballet, not intense but beginner level. Im looking to get back into it and was wondering what kind of pointe shoes people would recommend? Also- handy accessories to have with them? DANCE WORLD in Dublin would probably be my closest outlet.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

Hey, if you're going back into it at beginner level after a long time away, I wouldn't recommend pointe shoes at all! Your teacher shouldn't be putting you up on pointe until you've gotten strong enough - otherwise you could really injure yourself. Leather or canvas flat pumps would be best - you should be able to get both in Dance World.

If you are going to go on pointe eventually, your teacher would be the best person to recommend what type of shoes would work best for your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Wanting

Hi, I have also just got back into ballet. I did it from the ages of 7-14 and then stupidly quit. I started again in january at 18 and was put back into my original grade 5 (RAD syllabus)
    If you are just starting out you will not be using pointe shoes.
    My teacher has said that I MAY be able to go en pointe next year, but that is only because I did it for many years when I was younger.
    You will need to have great flexibility and strong ankles and arches before you can go en pointe, this could take as little as a year or even up to 4 years.
    I would get soft canvas or leather slippers, full sole is also better than split sole as it incourages your arches to work more.
    When you do go en pointe you will have to be fitted for shoes, or may even have to get some specially made for your foot type as the box will also need to fit. Your teacher will recommend where to get this done.

Good luck and its great to see you have got back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Wanting

Sorry...just re-read yur question!
    Handy accessories would be ballet tights, leotard, a cross-over cardigan, belt, skirt and some ankle warmers.
    If you are doing the RAD syllabus you will also need character shoes and character skirt

Advertisement