Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bubbled paint repair

• 27-02-2011 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

i have had paint bubble on my wall recently. I have since had my walls filled and now i need to repair the bubbled paint. am i right in planning to sandpaper the bubbles to remove them. i want to put some primer on the affected areas so the lines from the bubbled paint are not seen. but am i lost as to what i should out on the affected areas, so i can paint over it and the walls will seem smooth and no lines so through.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

you need to sand out the bubbles and then fill where the edges were,leave the filler dry and then sand down.touch up the filler with some paint before you re paint the whole wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

forgive the question but what would be best filler

tetrion or polyfilla interior.make sure you leave the filler and the paint dry properly between coats or the paint will bubble again!
    is it inside or outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Scrape off the bubbles and fill with Red Devil Onetime filler. Its a ready mixed fine filler in a tub and once the lids on it will keep fresh. Get a half pint of it in ant DIY outlet.
    When dry give it a light sand with a sanding pad (100 grade) and touch up with paint before coating the whole wall.
    This way will save on the messing about with the powder fillers, mixing too much ect. Its quick and clean.

the problem is inside

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Paint does not bubble for no reason. Send me pics and I might be able to see why the paint is bubbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

As Brendan mentioned it didn't bubble up for no reason. Did you recently repaint the walls, strip wallpaper or have a part of the wall replastered? Something must have happened in order for the bubbles to appear. You will need to find the problem before you can fix it. If the bubbles are no bigger than a two euro coin, i'd let them sit for a day or two and hopefully they will settle back. Any bigger will involve a little work.

he probably applied the coats of paint too close together without letting them dry properly!

we are 18months in the house and it was painted in early 2010. this problem happened end of december just gone.

Was it on new plaster?

• Advertisement

no we painted over the paint already there. several people have told me it was because of the extreme cold that we had and also the walls were empty, as in cavity so we have recently had them filled

The cold will not cause the paint to blister. have you any pictures you could post up?

i do but how do i put them on here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

When paint bubbles it is because something behind the paint pushes it out. It could be gas. It could also be moisture that froze and it could also be moisture trying to get out. I have seen paint bubble where the cavity was filled with rockwool. This was done in the 80s after the last recession when the government then ""advised""" people to fill their cavities with this crap to create jobs for their cronies at our expense. My question is was your house cavity filled in the 80s and when did you get them filled.

until february 2nd 2011 the walls were empty. they are done around 3weeks now. the problem happened during xmas 2010

He just had the walls filled recently!

are your rooms very humid or a lot of moisture? what room is it happening in,is it a kitchen or bathroom?

it is in the living room where we use a gas heater, the ones with the cylinder in the back of them, where there is no vent or window open

if i were you id turn off that heater and Id be getting a carbon monoxide alarm into that room as soon as possible. That heater is probably the cause of it. If you can afford it get it checked out by a certified gas engineer.

I would not use that heater again till i had it checked!

could it really be from a heater you can buy in a diy store for 100euro? we are getting vents drilled in the walls soon

• Advertisement

The lads in the heating and plumbing section might be able to help you, tell them your paint is peeling off the walls where you have a gas heater and would it be carbon monoxide causing it!

It may not be anything to do with it but if it was my house id certainly want to get it checked out immediately!

could it really be from a heater you can buy in a diy store for 100euro? we are getting vents drilled in the walls soon
    If the heater is releasing carbon monoxide the least of your worries is the paint!

another thing is that it is just the interior walls where on the other side of these interior walls is outside the house that have bubbled and blistered

I read in one of your previous posts that not all the smoke from your open fire was going up the chimney.this could be filling your room with monoxide,especially in a room with no vents or windows!

You need to get this investigated or at least get to your local hardware store and buy a carbon monoxide alarm,there available for around 30 euro!

another thing is that it is just the interior walls where on the other side of these interior walls is outside the house that have bubbled and blistered
    is there constant humidity on these walls?

who should i get to check this, im rightly freaking out right now that ive been poisoning myself. as soon as the fire smoke was giving trouble we stopped using it

get one of the alarms from woodies,i have one myself. just plug it in and it works on the same principle as a smoke alarm. it may be nothing.

if its only the inside of the exterior walls that are bubbling, its probably the cold being bridged from the exterior walls causing condensation on the interior walls and causing the paint to bubble.

the reason i would worry is monoxide causes condensation on windows and walls,add that to the fact there is no windows or vents and smoke from an open fire, it has the makings of trouble!

well once i noticed the smoke coming back into the room i opened a window and once the fire died out we havent used it since. and the only walls that are affected are interior/exterior walls and not the interior only walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Sounds to me like you have some kind of a moisture problem. Would it be fair to say that it's only happening on your external walls and not dividing walls? If so you got moisture penatrating(spelling) through the wall and need to get it sorted. Could be something as simple as a blocked gutter or a crack in the exterior plaster, or getting in behind flashing etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement