Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving License?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Will my full irish driving license do in australia and new zealand or do i have to apply for anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Will my full irish driving license do in australia and new zealand
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Will my full irish driving license do in australia and new zealand or do i have to apply for anything?

differs from state to state in Australia. i.e. in NSW you have to have held your Irish one for 3 or more years or else you go on to P plates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

myhorse wrote: »
    differs from state to state in Australia. i.e. in NSW you have to have held your Irish one for 3 or more years or else you go on to P plates

Only if you are getting a aussie licence.
    In NSW you don't need to swap if you have a WHV or 457

But yes rules differ from state to state

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

hussey wrote: »
    Only if you are getting a aussie licence.
    In NSW you don't need to swap if you have a WHV or 457

But yes rules differ from state to state

Ah didn't know that, thought there was a 3 month grace period after which you had to change over regardless. Maybe got it mixed up with PR holders rules

• Advertisement

myhorse wrote: »
    Ah didn't know that, thought there was a 3 month grace period after which you had to change over regardless. Maybe got it mixed up with PR holders rules

Yeah I thought that too, then my friend pointed it out to me ... rules are here

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/gid_english.pdf

If you are not an Australian citizen or not a permanent resident of
    Australia you are considered to be a temporary overseas visitor.
    Temporary overseas visitors can include:
    Tourists.
    Business people on limited-duration visits.
    People studying or working temporarily (eg working visa holders)
    in NSW.

If you are a temporary overseas visiting driver, and you hold
    a current overseas driver licence you do not have to get a NSW driver
    licence.
    You can drive on your current overseas licence as long as:
    You remain a visitor.
    Your overseas licence remains current.
    You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW
    or elsewhere.
    You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your
    visiting driver privileges withdrawn.
    Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in
    English, you must also carry an English translation or an International
    Driving Permit with your licence when driving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Queensland are a bit more Anal about the thing, I was in and out of court for about 5 months when I started out here. Still drive on the Irish licence now, but had a WA at the time and an address in NSW

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I went the opposite way NZ licence migrated to QLD had to re-sit the QLD theory test following the three month grace period (there are a couple of small road law differences ie NZs stupid Right hand turn law!)
    I was then issued a Full QLD licence (but also retained my Full kiwi licence.)
    When I then moved to Ireland (in 2002)following the three month grace period I had to apply to change the QLD licence into an Irish licence (I physically had to hand over the QLD licence)
    If I had not had the QLD licence I would have been treated as having no licence and would of been required to apply for an Irish learners licence.

While I am not definate, I would suspect that it is possible the same if you where permanently moving to NZ from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

kiwipower wrote: »
    I went the opposite way NZ licence migrated to QLD had to re-sit the QLD theory test following the three month grace period (there are a couple of small road law differences ie NZs stupid Right hand turn law!)
    I was then issued a Full QLD licence (but also retained my Full kiwi licence.)
    When I then moved to Ireland (in 2002)following the three month grace period I had to apply to change the QLD licence into an Irish licence (I physically had to hand over the QLD licence)
    If I had not had the QLD licence I would have been treated as having no licence and would of been required to apply for an Irish learners licence.

While I am not definate, I would suspect that it is possible the same if you where permanently moving to NZ from Ireland.

Yeah the kiwi licence isnt very highly regarded internationally from what I can see.

What I also see however is some people smoke large quantities of P and then hop in the car.

Yeah well the cops ruined all the young lads fun by bringing in hidden speed cameras and booze busses round every tree, the grass is being smoked by all the primary school kids so none left for those aged over 15. So now they have to smoke something else which makes them feel like they are travelling fast! ;):D

To be Honest on a serious note from what I hear the P stuff is well out of hand. I hope to all higher powers that it NEVER becomes a drug of choice in Ireland! More distructive than any street drug you could think of here.

Not sure what the rest of the world have against kiwi licenses, other than the afore mentioned STUPID right hand rule at an intersection. (And we were given that by the Melbournites with their hook turns.) From what I witnessed with my partner going for an Irish license, I think we have a much tougher drivers ed between learners and restricted licenses with two practical driving tests, where you have to be able to do a proper hill start, parallel park and manage a three point turn on a dime! I always think its funny that part of the irish test is reversing around a corner! I recon if you got caught doing that in any other country you would lose your license! Maybe its the fact we start learning to drive (officially anyway) at 15!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hey not fair how else can you handle trams.

Zambia wrote: »

Yeah but they dont have trams in NZ!

Im not getting at the hook turn. (Though I have heard of people so confused by the hook turn that they will drive past the intersection they want to turn right at, turn left then turn left again untill they are approaching the tram line straight on!)

I am getting at the stupidity of bringing in the rule that right turning vehicles have priority over left turning vehicles to NZ in the 70s and now having to look at changing it back! Almost as stupid as Samoa changing from right hand drive to left hand drive!

Just another thought....
    You could handle them they way they do in Dublin........
    Drive a double decker bus with a spec savers add on the side straight onto the line so the tram crashes into the add!!!???? :D;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What hook turns and no Trams ...... crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Does anyone know the situation in WA? Iv done some research on it but im still unsure it says if you are on a Permenant visa you must get a WA licence but im not sure what the story is when you are on a 457? Im here drviving about 3 months at the moment and Id hate to get fined for not complying. Cheers

Does anyone know the situation in WA? Iv done some research on it but im still unsure it says if you are on a Permenant visa you must get a WA licence but im not sure what the story is when you are on a 457? Im here drviving about 3 months at the moment and Id hate to get fined for not complying. Cheers

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20668.asp#20947

You are fine as you are classed as a visitor

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Thanks Hussey

What hook turns and no Trams ...... crazy stuff

Its not really a hook turn.
    You still drive to the centre medium when you are turning right, BUT you have priority of cars driving towards you that are turning left.

Its stupid! It means that if you want to turn left at an intersection or traffic lights you first have to check that the traffic coming towards you is not trying to turn right into the street you are turning into!

And trust me the cars turning Right will aggressively defended their right to go first the muggings! I had a brief (and rare) moment of forgetfulness when I was at a set of traffic lights in the hometown last year. Guy speed up and threatened to drive right into my rear end! Honking and gestures and all!!

I know I was in the wrong, but still it’s a stupid rule, and didn’t require his over reaction!!!

Advertisement