Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connemara adventue challange

• 27-02-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi i am thinking of entering this. have never done anything like this before but decided it was a good chalange to get me off my backside. The problem is what wave to go in. being doing a bit of running since christmas and at present i can run 5k in about 25min and 10k in about 56. got on the bike for the first time in years this weekend and did 10k in about 35min. never tried kayaking.
    any advice on what wave i should entre and also what level of training i need to be doing to complete the race in some level of comfort.
    thanks in advance.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Miss F.

just asked my husband who did this race last year for the first time. he suggests you enter in the joggers section. In that case if you find the pace a bit much you can walk for a bit and pace yourself. try and get out in a kayak once or twice before the race - it will help. if you are doing the race on your own you will probably end up sharing a kayak with another competitor- so its in both your best interests if you have a bit of experience! It's a really enjoyable day and is not very intimidating. Stick with the training and it will stand to you. There's a good party tat night after the race!
    Hope this was of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

How's things. I was the same situation as your self last year. I did the walker category but everyone that was doing that wave pretty much ran it. Any jogger or walker category would do you. Your not obliged to walk or run by any means. In terms of training, try get some running on soft and uneven surfaces. Running through the bog absolutely saps your legs of energy. For the cycle get some hilly cycles in cause the last part of the cycle us quite hilly. Wouldn't worry about the kayak I never did it before last year and it was no bother at all.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stig31

Thanks very much for the advice it has helped me make up my mind. Just signed up so have to get the finger out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 biker41

The run section of this event is the toughest, it is mainly all off road with hard climbs, so plenty off mountain running/walking will help. Trail shoes are better than standard running shoes as they give you more grip. kayaking itself is easy but try it before the event to get a feel for it.The cycle section is on fire road and tarmac,a mountain bike with narrow tyres may be best.Get some hill work into your cycling.It is all about spending time at running and cycling rather than distance.If you find the first run hard you can rest a bit on the bike or if you find the cycle hard rest on the kayak,if you find both hard slow down.This is a great event ,enjoy.

Advertisement