Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OM F'n G!! SAW TWO UFO'S at 8pm

Options
  • 27-02-2011 10:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

ok lads, this sounds nutts, but as i was looking east toward the plough, two little stars looked out of place to the right of the plough. they then got brighter, moved closer toward eachother, then drifted off left one trailing behind the other.

this was around 8pm tonight Sunday 27th Feb 2011. my location is east offaly, near edenderry. little light polution where i like.

ANYONE else see what ive just mentioned????

obviously i cannot assure you that im completely sane or sober, but i promise you im both of these things. i love astronomy, i love space, the universe, all those things, but i keep a very open mind about what technologies exist or have existed, and this to me was rock solid evidence of craft activity. call it what you may. its not my first time either to spot unusual activity, but im hoping someone else on here can concur with what ive just described.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Any possibility of it been the International Space Station? it was visible last night over Ireland at 8:10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

International Space Station & Chinese Lanterns are both possibilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Paddy Slattery

definitely not lanterns, as the TWO lights originated in the sky and behaved as though they were aware of the distance between each-other as they came close then parted. plus, we filmed a scene recently with lanterns in the sky and lanterns move too slowly.

satellite? that doesnt explain the two seperate lights and the movement/direction.

im still hyper about the event and its been an hour and 30 mins since it happenned. crazy stuff. im going back outside shortly but will have a glass of white wine in me, so im liable to see ET this time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Sounds like 2 different sattelites coming in and out of the suns shadow at different angles mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Iridium flare perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

definitely not lanterns, as the TWO lights originated in the sky and behaved as though they were aware of the distance between each-other as they came close then parted. plus, we filmed a scene recently with lanterns in the sky and lanterns move too slowly.

satellite? that doesnt explain the two seperate lights and the movement/direction.

im still hyper about the event and its been an hour and 30 mins since it happenned. crazy stuff. im going back outside shortly but will have a glass of white wine in me, so im liable to see ET this time. :)

That's your perception. I have seen Chinese lanterns a 100+ times, they can approach each other, hover, move up and down, separate, suddenly speed up? How is that possible?

Because they follow the wind currents which change at different altitudes, plus they burn their fuel at different rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

that was the Discovery shuttle, travelling to, before docking in, the international space station I think Paddy, they were moving in unison, look up their times of docking and orbit on some website and see if times add up .... right on the day anyway 27/02

Rereading the OPs post I think you might be right..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Sounds pretty much like two satellites in slightly different orbits.
    It couldn't have been the ISS, as the ISS orbit doesn't not allow it to pass through the Plough when seen from Ireland - we're just too far north. The ISS wouldn't be described as a little star either.
    According to heavens-above, the possible satellites could be NOSS 3-2A and NOSS 3-2C, at about 20.20 they would have been close together in the east, heading towards the northeast horizon.

If you go to www.heavens-above.com, log in, and check for all visible passes, then go "prev PM" a few times you can get to the previous passes of satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Just saw this exact same thing from County Laois - very weird looking indeed. Just this second saw the "leading" light disappear as the pair of them arced towards the horizon -followed a few moments later by the second. Didn't have a clue what they were until I saw the posts above!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

417.gif
    that was the Discovery shuttle, travelling to, before docking in, the international space station I think Paddy, they were moving in unison, look up their times of docking and orbit on some website and see if times add up .... right on the day anyway 27/02

^^ That's probably the correct answer :P

Here's a picture of what the OP probably saw..viewed through a telescope. As the photographer said, he took the picture Saturday night!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8356656/Amateur-photographer-captures-space-shuttle-from-back-garden.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

maninasia wrote: »
    Here's a picture of what the OP probably saw..viewed through a telescope. As the photographer said, he took the picture Saturday night!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8356656/Amateur-photographer-captures-space-shuttle-from-back-garden.html
    that's fairly cool

Sorry Im just replying to your posts now. I got no notifycation that the thread had replies...

Anywho, Im still not buying the Satellite or Lantern theories. These 2 lights moved way too fast and purposfully in a particular direction. The Satellite docking was scheduled an hour earlier the night I saw these.

Im convinced that what I witnessed was two highly advanced flying technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Sorry Im just replying to your posts now. I got no notifycation that the thread had replies...

Anywho, Im still not buying the Satellite or Lantern theories. These 2 lights moved way too fast and purposfully in a particular direction. The Satellite docking was scheduled an hour earlier the night I saw these.

demotivational-posters-skeptical.jpg

That's not a very smart position to take. I mean, which is more likely:

1) you witnessed some unusual combination of satellites, Chinese lanterns or aircraft, in conjunction with the unusual lighting effects present in the time after sunset, or

2) you witnessed a pair of crafts operated by intelligent beings that aren't from this world.

You can't call yourself a reasonable person and assume, let alone be convinced, that 2) is the more likely scenario.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

definitely not lanterns, as the TWO lights originated in the sky and behaved as though they were aware of the distance between each-other.

You'll have to forgive my skepticism but that is a completely illogical form of reasoning to use in this instance.

And thats the most common problem among "sightings" every one is convinced of what they saw because they want to be. And what convinces them is nothing more than the fact that they just cant easily identify what they saw themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

'two highly advanced flying technologies' that originated from one planet... i'll give you one guess which one it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thats some jump in logic-theres lots of possibilities that are much plausable. Aliens is the last thing it was. I'm doing alot of viewing these nights and i've seen 2 satellites together do much stranger things then that-especially the ones caught at weird angles to the sun on slightly different orbits to each other! Appear out of nowhere and seem to be interacting with each other etc etc. Sorry, keep lookin up though;)

OP have a look at the pic I posted, the international space station is one of the brightest objects in the night sky. It seems highly likely you saw the docking manuevre between the shuttle and station given the timing.
    They are highly advanced technologies...just ours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,101 ✭✭✭squonk

OP, what direction were you facing? If you clear that up it gives us a chance to say whether it was the ISS/Shuttle or not. You only said you saw the objects drive off left. How long were the objects visible for? Were they constantly moving left but interacting with each other?

I'm buying the Satellite theory as I've seen them do some funny things myself but if you happened to see the shuttle docking with the ISS, consider yourself lucky. that's a very cool thing to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

maninasia wrote: »
    OP have a look at the pic I posted, the international space station is one of the brightest objects in the night sky. It seems highly likely you saw the docking manuevre between the shuttle and station given the timing.
    They are highly advanced technologies...just ours!

In fairness he may have saw advanced technology belonging to us, remember the F117 Stealth fighter was flying in the late 70's and all through the 80's until it's public deployment in gulf war 1.It and the B-2 were responsible for the flying triangle reports during the 80's.

If indeed he saw something that was advanced, it's more likely it was something we built rather than aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

just out of curiosity how far up can these chinese lanterns go and what happens them eventually?

Wow, a lorra lorra skepticism in here!!

Ah, Jammy, when did I mention that these possible advanced technologies may have been operated by intelligent beings that arent from this world?

I'm not saying I dont believe in the possibility of advanced alien species, but I'm certainly not irrational enough to assume that any advanced flying technologies are operated by alien beings.

As for one reply who dismisses my opinion on the lantern theory... Ive lit lanterns, I see them almost every week... They DONT just suddenly light up when theyre in the air.

Anywho... its no biggie... I saw strange ariel activity. UFO, whatever.... but Im really surprised by the skeptical reactions.

CUE X-FILES THEME TUNE!

2) you witnessed a pair of crafts operated by intelligent beings that aren't from this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I believe ya man!... Wish ya just had a reasonable photo to make all the other lads dumb founded... :rolleyes:

The fact that they moved in close and apart again made all the other possibilities go out the window as i would of originally thought it being an Iridium Flare.

In fairness he may have saw advanced technology belonging to us, remember the F117 Stealth fighter was flying in the late 70's and all through the 80's until it's public deployment in gulf war 1.It and the B-2 were responsible for the flying triangle reports during the 80's.

If indeed he saw something that was advanced, it's more likely it was something we built rather than aliens.

Stealthy one seater Irish Airforce cessnas...painted black 'n all.

Why surprised at sceptical reactions? You looked in the sky at the same time the space station and shuttle were docking!

http://www.issfanclub.com/node/3902

There are also tonnes of satellites whizzing around up there. Nothing that you mentioned seems out of place with these possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Experimental aircraft / 'Black Projects' are most likely an explanantion for many of the 'Black Triangle' sightings. These are mainly US based, but also being developed in UK and Europe. here is an example of current UAC development:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYGIZvriIAI

The Truth is out there.

maguffin

Advertisement