Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two weeks to see the east coast of Aus in June

Options
  • 27-02-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

I'm arriving in Sydney on the 14th June with my girlfriend, and plan to crash there for a couple of days.

The on the 17th/18th we head off towards Cairns, where we have to be on the 29th to meet up with the rest of my family.

I know there is a lot to potentially fit into these 12 or so days, so i've come up with a couple of rough plans:

Plan 1
    17th - Fly from Sydney to Brisbane ($38 with Tiger)
    18th - Bus to Hervey Bay. Spend a couple of days around there/Fraser Island
    21st - Bus to Airlie Beach. Couple of days around Whitsundays
    25th - Bus to Townsville. Couple of nights on Magnetic Island
    28th - Bus to Cairns

Pro's - get to see Fraser which looks amazing
    Cons - trips to Fraser + sailing around Whitsundays = very expensive. Also a lot more bus journys with this plan. I'm already dreading the drive from Hervey Bay to Airlie.

Plan 2

17th - Fly from Sydney to Mackay
    18th - Bus to Airlie. Couple of nights at Whitsundays
    22nd - Bus to Townsville. Couple of nights on Magnetic Island
    26th - Bus to Mission Beach. Chill there for a day or two
    28th - Bus to Cairns

Pros - Probably save money not doing Fraser Island trips. Less Bus travel. More relaxed
    Cons - No Fraser.

So I'm torn.
    Basically, the costs of travel i've worked out to be the same either way, so that's not my primary consideration.

It's really balancing the little time I have, with the many things I want to see and do.

So what I really want to ask is, which of the above plans sounds best, are they realistic, and most importantly, am I missing out on anything big?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I would definitely go to Frazer Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

if you are gonna do the east coast you have to do whitsundays and frasier , if you miss out on those, then in my opinion you have missed 2 of the best parts of the east coast of australia , do it , you will remember it for the rest of your life !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The drive from Hervey Bay to Airlie Beach, although fairly long will provide some of the best scenery.

All the best on your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

I would fly as much as you can to save time. We are doing something pretty similar to you this summer also except we are starting in Cairns & working our way to Sydney.
    We are flying Cairns- Hamilton island- Brisbane- Sydney.
    We hope to do Fraser Island- heard such good things about it. Will only be a day trip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You have to do Fraser. It's one of the most amazing places I've been to and well worth a day trip at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's so much easier to make a decision when there is consensus.

Fraser Island, here I come, I guess.

For the time i'm going - June - would I need to book hostels, tours etc ahead of time or will I be fine to wait until I'm over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Two weeks isn't near enough, but Fraser and Whitsundays are the ONLY two must sees, the rest is optional.

As for cost of fraser, its not that expensive really. Remember to factor in the fact that you won't be paying for accom for 3 or 4 nights (one night before, two on the island, one night after). This are part of the fees a you leave so early and get back kinda late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You have to go to Fraser Island, if I was going back for one day I would spend it there. My favourite place in Oz bar none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 freewheeling

Adding my vote for Fraser Island.

Advertisement