Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COMMUTERS: What do you like most about cycling?

• 27-02-2011 10:43pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per the thread title... If you cycle for your commute, what do you like most about cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

getting the blood flowing, the lungs working and not being stuck in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Arriving awake. I don't know how I managed mornings before I started cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

All of the above and the scenery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

kenmc wrote: »
    not being stuck in traffic

+1. From my old place, the bus took over an hour, but the bike took 30mins. Though I could snooze or read on the bus. I don't know how anybody can endure driving/sitting in rush hour day after day after day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

murph226 wrote: »
    All of the above and the scenery!
    I would have listed that too, but it'd be a lie :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Reaching work/home ....

.... but I do try and treat each commute as a TT, trying to beat a PB time or power interval etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

In no particular order:
    You know what time you'll arrive at.
    You usually feel very good physically after your commute.
    At rush hour it's faster than any other option over distances of 10km or less.
    It's very cheap if you stick to utility cycling. Especially if it helps you to avoid owning a car.
    Not much trouble parking.
    If you make an effort, you can make most of your own repairs, which gives you great independence, which coupled with the physical exercise is very good for your mental balance.

It's a nice side-effect that it doesn't pollute much and makes cities more liveable, but those are not primary reasons why I like cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Winning.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's just really enjoyable. I know that can seem cheesy but I really like cycling with a purpose. I can take it as easy as I like or push harder. It doesn't cost anything and I can get further quicker than if I were walking. It's good for me which is a nice bonus too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Being able to smell the world instead of just seeing it.......

......and SCR*

*Silly commuter racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Not being bound to a timetable, I can come and go as I please....hate missing a train/bus and having to sit in work for another Xmins waiting for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

kenmc wrote: »
    getting the blood flowing, the lungs working and not being stuck in traffic

Pretty much what Ken said. I love cars and I like to drive, but sitting in rush hour in Dublin would drive me mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The time saving - i.e getting home at half 6 in the evening having covered 40+km between the two ways and having the whole evening then to do other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Fantastic sock choice and opportunity for displaying of socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

there's also the advantage of being able to eat / drink what I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

not having to rush to leave the house in the am (i.e. 10 mins late can mean an extra half hour if you're in the car or bus)

great way to pack in weekly execise if you're short on time

every morning is different, depending on weather, wind etc

you don't great freaked out looking at stupid drivers trying to beat all the other cars by racing up the inside lane just to get 100 metres ahead

Cheaper

you can boast about it at dinner parties, in the pub, etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

This morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Getting passed by a nice lady in lycra shorts !!!!!!! As he soft pedals to let her pass of course !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Starting my cycling commuting days tomorrow after too long on buses and trains. Looking forward to posting here.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Getting passed by a nice lady in lycra shorts !!!!!!! As he soft pedals to let her pass of course !!

Shorts!! :eek: What country are you in? Do some people not feel the cold? :confused:

It's faster than the car and I just love cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

ALWAYS GUARANTEED A SEAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There is no rush hour or queues. I leave anytime I like. Makes no difference.
    Time is very consistent, regardless of time of day.
    Kill two birds with one stone, exercise and commute.
    I sleep better, and I'm more alert otherwise.
    Fewer coughs and colds.
    Commuting doesn't feel like lost/dead time.
    Don't feel like I've been stuck in a office all day.

I'm just happier when I cycle.

BostonB wrote: »
    Fewer coughs and colds.

I wish :(
    I'm just happier when I cycle.

Totally :)

I just noticed when I got the train or bus a lot I ended up getting colds and coughs. That I've had a cough/chest infection since Nov I put down to that I didn't cycle enough last year. In general since I started back commuting on the bike, I've had far fewer colds/coughs overall.

I think it's a circular thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    I think it's a circular thing.

Yeah, it goes in cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Everything

Feeling good so early in the morning
    It gives a bit of fitness
    Ladies on bikes
    The herons in St Anne's Park for the first bit of my commute
    Sunrise
    Time saving
    No smelly cranky people on the DART
    Singing / playing air guitar or drums :rolleyes:

And looking solemn as I explain to the poh-lice that I don't want to waste a day in court / €60 for breaking pedestrain red lights ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    In no particular order:
    You know what time you'll arrive at.
    You usually feel very good physically after your commute.
    At rush hour it's faster than any other option over distances of 10km or less.
    It's very cheap if you stick to utility cycling. Especially if it helps you to avoid owning a car.
    Not much trouble parking.
    If you make an effort, you can make most of your own repairs, which gives you great independence, which coupled with the physical exercise is very good for your mental balance.

It's a nice side-effect that it doesn't pollute much and makes cities more liveable, but those are not primary reasons why I like cycling.

Agree with most of them, but a motorbike is faster.

Most important for me is its a great way to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

All of the above but also that I can take a better route that does NOT include Brewery Road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

christeb wrote: »
    Ladies
    FYP.

There are fewer finer things than admiring the view on your commute through the city on a lovely summer's morning/evening. You just don't get the same vista in a car or bus for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

+1 on everything tomasrojo said above, to which I'd add the flexibility of cycling, i.e. I can stop at will for a shop, chance encounter, etc.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Agree with most of them, but a motorbike is faster.

That depends to a great extent on the nature of the roads and traffic. Motorbikes are essentially two-wheeled cars, in traffic terms, i.e. not allowed to use bus lanes or cycle lanes, not allowed to lane split, etc. Wherever a bike is faster than a car, it is also faster than a motorbike (or should be).

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    +1 on everything tomasrojo said above, to which I'd add the flexibility of cycling, i.e. I can stop at will for a shop, chance encounter, etc.

That depends to a great extent on the nature of the roads and traffic. Motorbikes are essentially two-wheeled cars, in traffic terms, i.e. not allowed to use bus lanes or cycle lanes, not allowed to lane split, etc. Wherever a bike is faster than a car, it is also faster than a motorbike (or should be).

Motorbikes can filter through traffic, and no guard will ever stop one for using a bus lane. In city centre bumper to bumper traffic its much the same as cycling, but as soon as you're out of that, a motorbike is faster.

Bicycles are great for shortcuts. The canal has some good routes, and there's a handy one through Jamestown Rd/Kylemore Way near blackhorse that's handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Wakes you up.
    Guaranteed a parking space.
    You never need a hanky on a bike;)

Do ye commuter cyclists have shower facilities at work ?

RoverJames wrote: »

That might be better as a poll in a new thread. Maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes I wouldn't do it if I didn't have a shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No. Wet rag, dry towel, deodorant.

No. Wet rag, dry towel, deodorant.

Pete washes himself with a rag on a stick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Arriving awake. I don't know how I managed mornings before I started cycling.

Same here, if I didn't cycle in I'd just fall asleep as soon as I got in, really sets me up for the day

Yep but a packet of baby wipes will do the trick as well, I rarely use the shower though, I don't seem to stink to much, I think :p

I do. Nowhere to put a wet towel though.

• Advertisement

Yes but I don't use it. Takes too much time. Use accessible loo. Has a sink, and loads of room. I bought in a few plastic hooks so I can hang stuff up. A change and a quick was takes 5 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Wash basin for me too. Bar of soap, face towel, baby wipes, towel and deo.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I do. Nowhere to put a wet towel though.

I hang mine in a press. With all the computers in the office is warm enough that most things dry very quickly.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Wash basin for me too. Bar of soap, face towel, baby wipes, towel and deo.

Baby wipes perfect for cleaning oil of hands (from puncture repairs etc). Also great for cleaningbike down without water. Alcohol in them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

I hang mine in a press. With all the computers in the office is warm enough that most things dry very quickly.

Just wondered what one of the following 3 commuters tend to do?
    1) Do you wear full cycle gear on your commute and bring your work clothes with you and change in work?

2) Do you wear over garments over your work clothes to protect them?

3) Are the clothes you wear on your commute acceptable in your work environment. Ie whatever you wear on your commute you keep on you all day?

Raam wrote: »
    Pete washes himself with a rag on a stick.
    A stick? Good idea.

mookie2007 wrote: »
    1) Do you wear full cycle gear on your commute and bring your work clothes with you and change in work?

3) Are the clothes you wear on your commute acceptable in your work environment. Ie whatever you wear on your commute you keep on you all day?

I qualify for both 1 and 3. I prefer to wear in my cycling gear and change but I can get away with wearing my work clothes in on the bike as most of the time we are allowed to be quite casual. One occasion where I forgot my clothes and head to wear my bike gear round all day. The ladies loved it, one even screamed (with joy and admiration I presume). There is another guy in my building who has a suit in his office that he puts on when there are important meetings but the rest of the time just wears his lycra round the place.

I used to have over garments but I found they acted like a lagging jacket and you would get to overheated no matter the time of year, NSFW (or fashion) in my opinion.

mookie2007 wrote: »

Its gonna depend how long your commute is. Under 20 mins you'd probably get away with work gear. Beyond that you'd probably have to change. Mine is about 40~70 mins. So I leave a gym bag in work will a change or two. Too hot to cycle in work clothes. or over garments for me.

CramCycle wrote: »
    There is another guy in my building who has a suit in his office that he puts on when there are important meetings but the rest of the time just wears his lycra round the place.
    Eh? Where do you work?

Eh? Where do you work?

UCD Health Sciences, he's a supervisor of some PhDs in the School of Medicine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement