Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good dog to have with king charles

• 27-02-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I've got a 6 year old Cavalier Kings Charles and my mum is thinking of getting another dog. The things we have to consider how ever is that our current dog has a heart condition as many cavaliers do and this is obviously a major issue
    that we need to consider.

We were thinking a puppy might be best as that maybe mightnt be as intimidating as a fully grown dog coming into the house.

Im not really sure what breed of dog would be best suited though as Im not sure we'd get another cavalier due to the health issues.

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I have a cavalier as well and he's just 2 yrs old and last yr we got a 2nd dog a yorkie cavalier cross and i have to say they cudn't have taken to each other any btr. They adore each other and are the best of friends. My other dog is more yorkshire terrier than cavalier but the two play together and and vv happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It all depends on how your current dog is with other dogs, whether your dog is neutered etc. - there are so many deciding factors in this.

IMO, a puppy may be a bit high energy for a dog with a heart problem and an adult dog of a similar size may be a better option. There are loads of great adult, small breed dogs in rescues around the country that will have been assessed with other dogs so this would be a good place to start. Your own dog and the potential dog could meet before you make a decision to see how they get on and you will have a good idea of the new dogs personality before you bring it home, and will be able to make a good match for your own dog. A dog of opposite gender to your own dog may be easier to integrate into the family and the rescue could help you find a dog that would suit your circumstances. If you do want another Cavalier, there are some in rescues around the country but they aren't the most common. Please have a look at other small breeds (and mixed breeds!) to see if any would be suitable - you might find the perfect pet!

These sites are good places to start looking:

www.irishanimals.ie
    www.dogstrust.ie
    www.dspca.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

I have a black & tan king charles who is 3 and we also got a ruby a year later and they both get on like a house on fire, both have same father. I find they can be odd with other dogs especially when bigger. They have 2 completely different personalities, 1 is more needy than the other (the first one), the other is more independent and more obedient too I would have said however once one does what shes told the other will normally follow. They sleep together and ly in the same bed and cuddle up. I have considered getting another bigger dog like a dobberman or lab but have been put off as to how they react around larger dogs at the parks.

They are great with my baby who is 18 months old and very protective of him as they are of each other. I just got a rabbit at the weekend and so far so good but I get a feeling they see the rabbit as a meal at the moment :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Papillon, pomeranian, pug or any crosses of these, IMO none of them is too high energy and are good sizes for a CKC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I think Cavaliers could go with almost any dog because they're so friendly.

If you get another Cavalier, try to find a really good breeder to avoid health problems. No breeder can guarantee they won't have health problems, but they might get them when they're very old instead of when they're young. I have 4 Cavaliers, a puppy and three oldish ones, from 7-10 years, and none of them have heart problems (yet) which is pretty good. Cavaliers do get on really well together though, my dogs love other Cavaliers!

For some reason my dogs don't really like terriers but it's probably just my dogs! My dogs were also scared of the new puppy at first but soon got used to her.

I'd say a Bichon, because they have a really good temperament like a Cavalier but very few healthy problems, and live a long time (probably over 14 years). Try to find a good breeder though, because they can have skin problems, but hopefully a good breeder wouldn't breed the ones with skin problems. They can't be left alone too much but you have another dog so that should be fine. They need a lot of grooming though, and you'd probably have to get them done professionally every few months. BUt they've a great personality, really friendly.

Or a Papillon, they're sweet and kinda similar to Cavaliers according to my friend who has both.

And we used to have a Springer Spaniel that my Cavaliers loved, because they had a similar personality too, but a Springer pup would probably be crazy and drive your dog mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

wow thats a lot more replies than i expected! thanks for all the advise!

my mum seems to have her heart set on a pug and we found some at a rescue centre so were going on wednesday with our current dog to see what they are like with each other.

some things i didnt mention - my current dog has been neutered and we will definitely be getting a female. the pug in the resuce centre isnt a pup i think they are 1 or 2 years old so well see how they get on.

thats a good point about the puppy being too energetic i suppose we were thinking from the point of view of some fully grown dog coming in and our current dog feeling out of place because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

where i live there are a few pugs, dif families, dif ages but one thing that they all have in comman is that they are all very energetic. 2 owners out of the 3 i know says that while they love their dogs, when they go they will never get another as they do not sit still for more than 5 mins. Also you where sayng you wernt sure about getting another ckc because of the health problems well pugs suffer just as much if not more with health problems.

Advertisement