Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel credit card transaction?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to cancel a transaction made recently on a credit card (within the past few hours, so I guess it won't go through until the morning.)

I rang my credit card company, Ulster Bank, and they said I'd have to try to cancel it at the retailer. They said that if the retailer refuses and charges the card anyway, that I could then go through Ulster Bank's dispute channels.

Does that ever work? Would I be able to get it cancelled/refunded?

Unfortunately, the retailer in question is Ryanair...
    Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Have you tried contacting Ryanair? Although I'd imagine that their response may be similar to that of Aer Lingus if you made a mistake, which was FO!

If you've entered into a sale agreement and then try to cancel by cancelling the credit card transaction through the issuer rather than trying to cancel the transaction through the seller, then you may be leaving yourself open to a legal wrangle.

I've seen people try this in retail (guy buys piece for wife on card, wife doesn't like it, shop will offer credit but no refund, guy tried to cancel credit card transaction, shop seeks legal advice, shop found to be in the right). Thankfully not in our shop, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

The credit card provider is unlikely to cancel the transaction - that request has to come from the retailer

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The request can't be "cancelled" by the bank - either the retailer has to refund you, or you would have to claim that it is fraudulent etc and the amount gets chargedback.

The advice they gave you is incorrect - refusal of a refund is not grounds for a chargeback alone.

Advertisement