Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional Licence Application

• 27-02-2011 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

I have a full licence for the car...Is it true i can get a provisional licence for a bike by just requesting/paying for it at the motor tax office? i was told i wouldn't have to sit a theory test for the bike since i sat it for the car less than 5 years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I have a full licence for the car...Is it true i can get a provisional licence for a bike by just requesting/paying for it at the motor tax office? i was told i wouldn't have to sit a theory test for the bike since i sat it for the car less than 5 years ago?

I'm afraid you were told wrong... diferent theory test for bikes (although most of questions are not vehicle specific)...

You'll have to do bike theory test.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Bike Theory Test + your basic initial training modules and then practical driving test, then you are free to drive unsupervised.
    Link to F.A.Q about the initial basic training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

If you've had a provisional bike licence before even if it was a few years ago do you still need to do the basic training. It's just I've heard the training can cost €40-€50/hr so it adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

gears wrote: »
    If you've had a provisional bike licence before even if it was a few years ago do you still need to do the basic training. It's just I've heard the training can cost €40-€50/hr so it adds up.

If you previously did the bike theory test and your licence lapsed less than 5 years ago the no you wont have to do IBT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

No I had the provisional 9 years ago, just got out of biking and left it but now I'm looking at getting back into it and the new lessons will def but me off because of the expense if I have to do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

gears wrote: »
    No I had the provisional 9 years ago, just got out of biking and left it but now I'm looking at getting back into it and the new lessons will def but me off because of the expense if I have to do them.

I'm afraid you will have to do a bike theory test and apply for a new permit. Then do the IBT training.
    Until you are signed off with the IBT you won't be allowed to ride on the road without an instructor.

Advertisement