Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Called an owl tonight

• 27-02-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I was out checking some of Dads lambing fields for foxy. No sign of him tonight anyway. I had a mouth call with me and managed to call an owl in really close :D I put the spot light shining a few yards from me and it was flying around me for a little while. Fantastic experience :D Happened once before but I saw this one coming so it didn't scare the bejesus out of me :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Been a while since that happened, often out lamping one would come in overhead I think out of more curiosity to see what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Many years ago, I managed the attract the attention of a Long-eared with some mousey sounds :D
    Lovely experience.
    Must have been beginner's luck as I never managed it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I think this fella may have been a barn owl, but I'm guessing from looking at Google photos.

when we used to rear pheasants, a parliment of owls would sit in the trees beside the release pens watching everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

homerhop wrote: »
    when we used to rear pheasants, a parliment of owls would sit in the trees beside the release pens watching everything.

Must be some sight that!

• Advertisement

It was, I would go straight to the wood after work and it would be dark by the time you would pull yourself away. Often sat there for an hour or so on a summers evening, pheasant chicks running around you and half a dozen owls sitting in the branches almost as if they were checking you were doing things right.
    Barn owls are a beautiful sight, there was one by my mothers place, you would see it more on a frosty night gliding past the house. I did see one about 2 years ago sitting on a gate during the day, I stopped the car thinking there may have been something wrong, it looked a young bird and didnt pay much attention to me for a few minutes then went about its buisness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

Theres a wood on my brothers farm where there are quite a few long eared owls. My brother moved into a new house in 2008 and one night heard this screeching noise outside and found a young owl sitting on the garden fence calling and it's mother (or father) in a tree nearby calling back. I went to see and must say the screeching call (I've seen it described as a rusty gate sound) was very eerie. If I'd been out walking and heard it without knowing what it was it would be very weird.

We've heard it again in July / August 2009 and 2010 and saw several owls together last year which is a big thrill.

Advertisement