Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone tell me what breed of rabbit this is?

• 27-02-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

got a rabbit for my child this weekend and just wondering what breed it is, also any tips that come along with it feel free to feed me with information :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

thank you for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Yep I'd agree, some kind of dwarf lop, or dwarf lop cross, depending on what weight it is when fully grown and all. It's very cute :)

To add to what jmfox said, I'd say that rabbits need hay constantly to eat to wear down their teeth and keep them healthy, and green leafy vegetables aswell (all lettuces are good except iceberg, cabbage, fresh herbs, broccoli, kale etc) and things like carrots and fruit as a treat. It doesn't have to be expensive to feed them lots of veg, things like carrots and cabbage and butterhead lettuce are really cheap, and just as good as more expensive veg. Some poisonous things include potatoes, tomato plants (any green part), apple seeds (and some other fruit seeds), buttercups leaves and flowers, ragwort and some other weeds (though dandelion is good!).

And the more space they have the more happy they are and more interesting as a pet :) They need some time out of their cage to be healthy and happy, either running around a room (watch them to make sure they don't chew carpets, furniture and wires), or around a secure garden (supervised) or in a pen with a roof (if they dig then it might need to be on concrete).

Neutering them is a good idea and means there's the possibility of getting them a friend in the future, because they love the company of other rabbits.

Rabbits don't usually like being picked up too much. The best way to interact with them is to sit on the floor with them (inside or in a pen outside or a safe garden or wherever) and let them come over to you and sniff at you, don't make any sudden movements if they're nervous. Feed them treats like carrots from your hand. When you need to pick them up, make sure to support their whole body properly or they might wriggle and hurt themselves or jump down or scratch you.

They can easily be littertrained. You can get litter trays for them or use a small cat one, fill it with wood shavings or whatever you use and put some hay on top and put it in one corner of the cage (they like to go in the corner and might have already chosen one corner so put it in that corner) put some of their droppings in it, and keep cleaning the cage when it gets dirty but leave some droppings and wet bedding in the litter tray and hopefully they'll catch on. Neutered rabbits are better at littertraining, but they can all learn it ok. It makes it a million times easier to clean them out. You can just empty the tray every day or two, takes 5 minutes.

You can vaccinate them against myxomatosis and VHD, which is a good idea if they go outside and there might be any wild rabbits around.

www.zooplus.ie is great for food and runs and stuff.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/ is a good forum where you can ask any questions.

A list of all suitable veggies http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42 (for guinea pigs but it works for rabbits too)

Advertisement