Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STUDY and some advice?

• 28-02-2011 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

ok so basicly the leaving cert is in 3months and about 1-2 weeks, i havnt studied at all for them so i need some advice
    subjects im taking
    maths (o)- i struggle with it so at the moment im looking at a pass
    history(o) - easy to me to an easy c without study
    geo (H) - easy to me a c without study
    spanish(o) very hard mainly because my teacher is terrible,fail without a doubth
    irish (f) easy b or a doesnt matter dont need it
    biology(H) easy enough D without study
    English (H) very easy to me a b without study

but all these are just estimates when it comes to the leaving without study
    i say il fail maths,bio and spanish for my mocks
    i dont care about the mocks though

so anyway i need 290 points and with all the estimates above im not close to those points, does anyone think i could improve all my grades above if i started studying now for the leaving cert? also any advice on any of the subjects ?
    thx :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

ok so basicly the leaving cert is in 3months and about 1-2 weeks, i havnt studied at all for them so i need some advice
    subjects im taking
    spanish(o) very hard mainly because my teacher is terrible,fail without a doubth

so anyway i need 290 points and with all the estimates above im not close to those points, does anyone think i could improve all my grades above if i started studying now for the leaving cert? also any advice on any of the subjects ?

Yo! ah the leaving cert...ya ledge! defo the hardest exam I've ever done and I have a masters under my belt and am training to be a solicitor. But I still remember it like it was yesterday even though it was *ahem* seven years ago...

ANYWAY... study now. You'll be suprised by how much you know from just going to school, but make out good notes and get them into your head! The mocks aren't important, true, they're great though for exam technique...knowing how much time you have per subject and structuring questions on the paper.

I teach grinds and the one thing I say is make sure you go over all your past exam papers! I know you probably do these in class and have them for homework, but go over them every so often too. The examiners are always repeating questions! Higher Biology and English are hard, don't underestimate them! Especially since you're heading in there having English first and a lot of people freak out on the day and mess it up (thats what I did and dropped from an A1 average all year round to a C3!) so make sure you're relaxed going into that exam! lol.

I know you've already said you think you're going to fail Spannish but have you thought about taking a few extra grinds in it? You'd be suprised what a few extra classes with a GOOD teacher could do in improving your grade - and it might help increase your points.

If you only need 290 points for your course, try to aim higher - 300/310 at least. More people are returning to college and competing for college courses due to the recession so the points can go up for courses at any time.

Best of luck with it - i'm sure you'll do grand. But start the study as soon as you can :) and don't forget, as soon as you finish you'll never have to learn off quotes again from Shakespeare (unless you want to!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭unknowntoown

thx for the reply mate was very fast,
    english im actually quite good at the poems are the only problem lol
    ya good point 310 should do nicely haha im actually aiming at gettin very high grades for the 3 higher lvl subjects which will bump up my points alot and for ordinary lvl just do enough study for c's and it should get me it

for spanish, honestly hes the worse teacher in the world,he rights the answers on the board before asking the questions, put it this way WE HAVNT EVEN DONE OUR 5TH OR 6TH YEAR COURSE YET!!! sorry but we havnt he hasnt done our course yet and the leaving cert is in 3 months im stressing out about this ive complained loads of times, loads and i mean loads of parents went to the school and complained about him but he still hasnt been sacked, the whole class is going to fail
    and money is quite short in my house so grinds are out of the question, sad thing is i need to pass spanish because im doing foundation irish i can only afford to fail 1 subject out of 7 because 6 count and that subject is irish because foundation irish is no points and my course wont count it as one of the 6

so basicly im screwed about the spanish exam, il post my results on this site after the mocks and u can see for your self lol and i cant study spanish by my self cause i dunno were to start, i know nothing of spanish
    sad thing is i used to be good at it but soon as i got him in 5th yr it went down hill
    its a doss class some ppl even take vids of the students going up dancing behind him and most times hes never in or reads the paper
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ciaraannoregan

:confused: i have no motivation and do no study? has anyone tips. i keep meaning to start i just dont know where to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

@ the above poster (and anyone else in a similar situation)

Just start from today/tomorrow - don't make ANY exceptions. The hardest part is starting off, but if you can get into a routine things can be a lot easier. Write out a plan and give yourself goals - when you achieve these goals it can feel pretty good - and it also gives you a general idea of where to start and how to proceed with study.

An example of a plan could be: In this week I aim to study:
    Maths: 1 chapter
    English: 2 comparative modes
    Irish: 3 Poems + 1 story
    etc.

If you find it useful, do a mini plan before each study session - ie. what you aim to study that night. I find doing this pretty useful, gives me guidelines on how to work :)

I assume you're doing 7 subjects? Find a way to divide your time between them in a way that suits you, so that you can be efficient in your study - remember the most important thing is finding a study routine that suits yourself and that you can be comfortable with.

The main thing right now is getting started! Figure out how to motivate yourself. Remember this is YOUR exam - you're working for YOURSELF. You want to get the best results you possibly can in August so you can feel proud of what you've achieved - this should be the key thing that motivates you! :D

Good luck, hope you can find a way to get a good routine going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

subjects im taking

You can definitely improve your marks with study. I haven't done all that much study but if you want to improve it even a small bit, I would advise focusing on certain areas and becoming accomplished at it. Example- learning how to do some questions in maths that are almost certain to come up.

Just wondering if you think you'll get a B easily in honours English without study, do you not think you could get an A in ordinary History. The skillset seems much the same, and the document questions are easier than English comprehensions and then you just have to focus on the case studies. In 3 months, you could easily cover enough to get an A. IMO obviously...

And if Biology and Geography are an easy D and C for you without study, surely a little bit of study in the areas where you're weak will bring you up a grade?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ciaraannoregan

thanks very much. i think that a study plan for each week will work for me. How many hours are people doing/would people recommend?

Advertisement