Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Artistic" Process

Options
  • 28-02-2011 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Just wondering what people do before/during writing to think about the piece they're working on.

I for one throw a tennis ball at a wall, helps the mind wander . . .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I walk or cycle. Usually on my way to the place where I plan to write. I find the movement helps me firm up my plot and dialogue etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PMcKeever

Yeah, I find walking helps too, particularly when I'm between drafts, sort of opens the whole piece out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

If I'm stuck on a particular part of writing and need to plot further but I amn't getting very far I'll do it while watching tv. When I'm not completely focusing on it and getting stressed out by the lack of progression I manage to at least get something down. Discovered this doing NaNoWrimo after staring hopelessly at the computer for about an hour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I used to have a few things that would work, mostly involving situations where I physically can't get to a computer. They've all failed now though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

I think that's accurate, the minute you can't get to a computer to write is when you get the best inspiration!

• Advertisement

Possibly after a few jars down the local? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Walking the dogs does it for me, lets me do lots of people watching, catching snippets of conversation etc.

I am an absolute fiend for earwigging, especially on the bus. The things people talk about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

I drink a cup of coffee before going to bed. Trying to get to sleep when I just can't makes my mind run a thousand miles a minute and wake up the next morning to find lots of different notes and ideas written on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Stimulate my senses by listening to music or holding my lucky jade stone from New Zealand.

Also find I do a lot of writing in my head without realising it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement