Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWII Death Notifications of Irish Soldiers

• 28-02-2011 1:46am

Doing some reasearch into Irish soldiers who fought in WW2 for the British and I was wondering if anyone had any links to information on how families of irish soldiers who fought and died in the British Navy were notified of deaths.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I interviewed a guy called Ron Black for the North Strand Bombing seminar last May whos brother was in the British Merchant Navy.

He told me that his family got what they called a lettergram every month. It just had a standard message which simply read 'I am safe, do not worry'

Ron's brother was sadly torpodoed by the Japanese in 1942 and the family recieved a Telegram/Lettergram from the British Navy informing them he was missing presumed dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

As in the publican Ron Black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

As in the publican Ron Black?

That was my first thought before I met him, but no, this guy lives in New Jersey now. He emigrated from Ireland in the late 50s. He's 81 years old this year.

Advertisement