Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap place in New York city..$300!! please?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hey guys.....im planning on doining an internship for 2-3 months in new york manhattan

and not sure where to stay as im a student so it needs to be cheap....maybe a hostel for like $300 a month or an appartment?

i heard universites rent out dorms for interns ...has anyone done this before?

i wouldnt mind travelling in and out about 20 mins on the subway if it means a cheaper place!!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For an apartment share, you are probably looking at $2,000 per month for Manhattan and $1,000 per month for other places, but shop around. Add bills+food+deposit.

http://www.sarahomestay.com

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 intrigued12

wrong victor.

Man city fan- in queens woodside/maspeth, its possible to get a room share in a house for 400 dollars, usually 500 though. Youre right beside the subway here, or ten minutes away if youre in maspeth (maspeth is quieter, and nicer, but like i said , ten minutes/15 walk from the subway) and youre in midtown manhattan in 15 minuites on the 7 train.

You could get very cheap in the bronx in woodlawn (the other irish area) but its miles outside manhattan, and about 40 minutes on the subway. Plus youve a bus to get to the subway up there. I wouldnt recommend it.

as for the dorms in colleges- i havent a clue.

Dont use a crowd called alpharooms in the city its not worth it, can be very dodgy despite what seems like low prices.

If you really want to live in manhattan, go onto craigslist and look at room shares/sublets/short term. The only place youll get anything for that money is around harlem, spanish Harlem. But those places arent bad like you see on tv. Like anywhere though, you just have to suss out who youre living with.

My recommendation would be to go to woodside and youll see plenty of numbers/rooms advertised in all the paddy shops, and a few of the bars. Yes, youre outside the city, but its cheap, and close enough to the city. IF youre pissed out in town some night in manhattan at 5am, its a 25 dollar cab ride home from midtown, but you COULD get the subway. Then again, if yorue out with frioends/ or a good lookin woman- its a great excuse for someone to offer you a place to stay in the city- and all that entails ;)

have a good time. if youve any other questions, ill check this back in a few days when im back in from the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mancityfan1

thanks guys so far...oh yea i should have mentioned ..im going in june/ july :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 intrigued12

doesnt matter when you go. unless you like the beach, in which case live in queens, its easier to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Try NYU college dorms:

http://www.nyu.edu/summer/housing/

Advertisement