Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

faral wrote: »
    folks other nations have differnt stuff to offer and celebrate different day - for example i will celebrate the fat thursday which is the last thursday before the ash wedneday.we will be eating lots of donuts <i do recommend those from superquinn as they are the only ones comparable in quality and taste with Polish>

dziękuję, ale nie będzie mnie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I made buttermilk pancakes Sunday, topped with sliced fresh strawberries sitting in a bed of whipped cream. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'm going savoury this year -- feta cheese, red pesto, mixed peppers & rocket leaves :rolleyes:

Mr Fox will have the usual sugar and lemon... all 10 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chucken1 wrote: »
    I knew it..You eat people!
    The fecker does! (sorry Tar!)
    I would eat a human under the same circumstances I would eat any different animal, you are all the same to me. Although I probably wouldn't on a regular basis.

Would you be willing to carry a 'people can eat me' consent card?
    /eyes you up.

I am planning on trying a creme egg topping. For savoury ones I make onion bhaji pancakes, liquidise up gram flour with an onion and just fry it up, dip in curry sauces. Just view it like any unsweetened batter, I have stir fried up chicken and then dumped in batter on top, this makes a big chicken pancake which is sort of like chicken balls from a chinese takeaway. I made a tandoori pancake recently which was pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Savory pancakes are my thing - there is a great stall at the temple bar market on Saturday, they do sweet and savory - I love feta, olives and tomato pesto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I think I might attempt to make this this year.

/drools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Butter sugar & lemon, or lemon & honey for me :D mmm honey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think I'm going to stick with the classic lemon and sugar this year too :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Either the traditional lemon and sugar, or my secret vice (OK, not so secret) - squirty cream and hot chocolate sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dark chocolate. Growing up my parents allowed us to have chocolate pancakes for dinner on Pancake Tuesday. I always used to feel sorry for friends of ours who had to have a proper dinner or pancakes with beans on them before they could have the sweet ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

I recently started using this Weight watchers recipe to make pancakes and its wonderful!

http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=7026742

Otherwise, i love to top my pancakes with honey, bananna and sprinkle cinnamon.. mmmmh! Hope I can wait till next tuesday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

phasers wrote: »
    I bought Hershey's chocolate syrup, I'm also gonna get icing sugar, nutella and maybe some ice cream and marshmallows

This is my first pancake Tuesday

...Where have you been all it's life?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've been having Galettes instead of pancakes/crepes recently. Had a really lovely one there recently with tomato pesto, goats cheese, and rocket salad. All added to the galette while it's still on the heat so the pesto and cheese melt together and the salad wilts just nicely... nom nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

kateos2 wrote: »
    I think I might attempt to make this this year.

/drools

Oh my God, that looks AMAZING.

This year I'll probably have my usual lemon and sugar for one - but I'm going to do one with crispy bacon and maple syrup too. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i really love them plain or with a little butter...

i do also like pesto, feta, peppers and rocket though.. or chocolate or marshmallows or marshmallows and cheese! lemon and sugar is good too but i just love the taste of the batter, i have to stop myself eating loads of it before it hits the pan!

we used to have pancakes for dinner about once a month when i was growing up and it was great, whenever we'd have friends round for pancake dinner they just thought it was the best thing ever!

Tar.Aldarion - love the comment about it only being once a year, like there's no other available food that day... well, in this house there's not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

MMMMM pancakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pure love to your body
    Try melted mars bars for the ultimate indulgance .However if you really want to stuff your face just lemon and sugar so you can eat more

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I made a batch last week with stewed apple.

Is Cream plain flour ok to use?

Not sure if it was the flour or a cheap and dodgy weighing scales but the batter was a little more runny than I expected. They tasted ok but not as good as they should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Should be OK, some people leave the batter overnight in the fridge so the flour fully absorbs all the moisture.

I like to put some baking soda in the mixture, then put lemon juice in and it reacts giving off carbon dioxide, so you end up with fluffy pancakes, though mine are thick ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I made a batch last week with stewed apple.

Not sure if it was the flour or a cheap and dodgy weighing scales but the batter was a little more runny than I expected. They tasted ok but not as good as they should have.

Did you let the batter sit before you used it?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

SBWife wrote: »
    Did you let the batter sit before you used it?

Yeah, I let it sit for half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I'm more of a waffle person, so I think I'll just have a Waffle Wednesday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I can't wait to eat pancakes tomorrow! I love Pancake Tuesday:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I had American pancakes tonight with golden syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Im going to chance a bit of bourbon vanilla extract in the mix tomorrow. Go a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I love pancakes with pure maple syrup... Mmmmmmm Nomnomnom!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Just back from Tesco!

I was told "just get what you think we'll need"

So for toppings in my house, I got:

Pure Maple Syrup
    Golden Syrup
    Lemons
    Fresh Pineapple
    Black Cherries
    Caster Sugar
    Cream
    60% Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate
    BACON!

So I'll pair them off:

Maple Syrup/Bacon
    Lemons/Sugar
    Black Cherries/Cream/Dark Chocolate
    Pineapple/Cream/White Chocolate
    Golden Syrup/Cream

Want to mix and match the pineapple and cherries with dark chocolate..

I'm not a fan of Fat Tuesday but, when in Rome! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tishiewishie

I like your style Pocketfizz

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Thin crispy ones with vanilla sugar and Baileys om nom nom....

Advertisement