Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd go at college as mature student

Options
  • 28-02-2011 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,
    I started an undergraduate course as a mature student back in 2008 but it didn't suit me so I dropped out before the first set of exams at christmas time. Since then I have developed a better understanding of what I want to study and want to give college a second go, in a different course then the first.

Do I wait five years to start again, or do you pay the amount equivalent to the time spent in the other course?? This is regarding the free fees thing. Also I had the grant at the time too but only claimed one third of it, what's the deal with that too, would I be entitled to it a second time?!

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

only one bite at the cherry im afraid as regards to mature students

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭2ndchance

Hi, my own situation is similar in that I briefly attended college in 2001 as a mature student but had to drop out before Christmas. I wasn't in receipt of a grant but did get free fees. My time has come again and when I enquired of the admissions officer about fees, he said once 5 years had passed I would be eligible for free fees again. I don't know how the grant system works though. hth

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭allybabe84

2ndchance wrote: »
    Hi, my own situation is similar in that I briefly attended college in 2001 as a mature student but had to drop out before Christmas. I wasn't in receipt of a grant but did get free fees. My time has come again and when I enquired of the admissions officer about fees, he said once 5 years had passed I would be eligible for free fees again. I don't know how the grant system works though. hth
    Thanks very much for your reply, I still have 2-3 years to go until I can apply so I'm going to use the time to do a lot of reading and research, I'll worry about the maintenance grant when the time comes.... thanks:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i wouldnt hold my beath if i were u. things may change alot by then by the sounds of it. im sure there are many ways getting the job u want without a degree?

Well I presume you mean the abolishment of free fees.... I'm definitely keeping an eye on what the new government comes up with in the end but I'm in a slightly better position then other mature students as I have no children or a mortgage and my part time job is probably the only one left still giving overtime so all I can do is save up and wait to see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Hi all, I have a similar question. I'm thinking about going back to college as a mature student. I dropped out of college in my second year in 2007 (I wasn't a mature student then). Would I still be eligible for free fees even though I was registered for 2 years?
    Also, Can I get a mature student grant even if I'm employed (I'll obviously be cutting back to part time hours if I get into college) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a similar question. I'm thinking about going back to college as a mature student. I dropped out of college in my second year in 2007 (I wasn't a mature student then). Would I still be eligible for free fees even though I was registered for 2 years?
    Also, Can I get a mature student grant even if I'm employed (I'll obviously be cutting back to part time hours if I get into college) ?

You will be able to claim full free fee's again as a second chance student upon commencment of the course you apply for in 2012 (since it will be 5 years, I am and will be in the same position as yourself). Grant amounts will depend on your income and whether if you are dependent on your family/parents as a Mature student. More information can be found on studentfinances.ie

There have been changes in grants since the last budget and may be more news to come in the future so keep a heads up about it also.

Can I get a mature student grant even if I'm employed (I'll obviously be cutting back to part time hours if I get into college) ?
    When I got the grant in 2008 I had a part-time job and living at home so the grant should be no problem, the important thing for me was getting the tuition fees paid for it helped me out a greal deal.... one problem I had was my course was pretty heavy, most days I didn't finish until 5pm then I was in work for 6pm 5 days a week, I was wrecked! So if you're doing a job a weekend one would be a hell of a lot easier for you, sorry if I'm rambling :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

dont even bother coming back. college is a struggle now since the recession. no jobs going or anything. might have to drop out because of lack of funds.

all the suffering isnt worth it at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

dont even bother coming back. college is a struggle now since the recession. no jobs going or anything. might have to drop out because of lack of funds.

all the suffering isnt worth it at the end of the day

Seriously is that your advice. I am back in college as a mature student currently on work placement in third year of my course. Yes jobs are hard to come by but not impossible. My advice is to do what you want to do best to give it a go rather than to regret not doing it 20 years later.

• Advertisement

it is extremely difficult. u pretty much just exist in college when u have no money. its like waiting for a miracle to happen. im out of doe now and my next grant install ment isnt till easter. what the fcuk am i suppose to do?
    i wouldnt wish this situation on anyone. unless u have a part time job or loads of doe. dont go back to college, its torture and it robs u of your independence

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

im out of doe now and my next grant install ment isnt till easter. what the fcuk am i suppose to do?
    i wouldnt wish this situation on anyone.

Wah wah, My free money from the taxpayer isn't coming fast enough.

My heart bleeds

Wah wah, My free money from the taxpayer isn't coming fast enough.

My heart bleeds

my free money?

from the taxpayer?

LOL get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hey OP I did the same thing as you a few years ago. I dropped out before completeing any exams but did get the 1 installment of the grant. When I went back to college this time it had no effect on getting free fees or a grant which I recieved in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Lads, give it a rest.

If you do not have anything of value to add to the thread, do not post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goosec

I am currently thinking of going back to college to get my Honours degree as a mature student, i received an ordinary degree back in 2002 and now am thinkin of doing this course which is one year.

I am wondering if anyone knows what grants are available or if there is any assistance available, i am currently working full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pee F

Hey guys, I`m just wondering if any one can help me. I am seriously thinking of applying as a mature student for a 4 year degreee course, thing is I already have a level 8 honours degree in which I did recieve a grant for when I was in college, just wondering if I would be entitled to get another grant or any assistance if I was to get a place in college?
    I am working at the moment but Im being let go in 2 weeks. Any info much appreciated. Thanks.:)

goosec wrote: »
    I am currently thinking of going back to college to get my Honours degree as a mature student, i received an ordinary degree back in 2002 and now am thinkin of doing this course which is one year.

I am wondering if anyone knows what grants are available or if there is any assistance available, i am currently working full time.

AFAIK from looking at the Student Finances website you should be able to receive a grant for an add-on degree.
    Pee F wrote:
    Hey guys, I`m just wondering if any one can help me. I am seriously thinking of applying as a mature student for a 4 year degreee course, thing is I already have a level 8 honours degree in which I did recieve a grant for when I was in college, just wondering if I would be entitled to get another grant or any assistance if I was to get a place in college?
    I am working at the moment but Im being let go in 2 weeks. Any info much appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I am aware you won't be able to receive any financial grants or free fees since you have already completed a Bachelors degree. You should be apply for a grant if you plan on doing a post graduate course though.

Check out Citizens Information and studentfinance.ie for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

for the people enquiring whether they would be eligible for free fees if they started a course and dropped out, my understanding is:

- if you drop out before christmas of first term, this doesn't go against you, i.e. you would still be entitled to free fees without having to wait 5 years.

- if you completed, say 2 years, and dropped out, and you want to go back now and do a 4 year course, you would have to pay fees for the 2 free years already completed, but would be free for 3rd and 4th year.

-If you completed a 3 year honours degree, and now want to apply for a 4 year honours degree, all 4 years would have to be paid for, as you have had a full free degree.

- if you completed an ordinary degree, and now wish to finalise/complete to an honours, the additional year should be free?

Perhaps someone can confirm? :)

Feu wrote: »
    - if you completed, say 2 years, and dropped out, and you want to go back now and do a 4 year course, you would have to pay fees for the 2 free years already completed, but would be free for 3rd and 4th year.

Generally yes, although if you wait 5 years from the last year of education you completed you can re-apply for full free fees again as a second chance student. Although if you drop out of your second chance course then that's it, you won't be able to claim free fees again.
    Feu wrote: »
    - if you completed an ordinary degree, and now wish to finalise/complete to an honours, the additional year should be free?

I'm not entirely sure about free fees (could very well be possible) but you can apply for a maintainence grant for add-on degrees.

Not sure about the first and third points though. Id say going from a three year honours degree to do a 4th year in a 4 year degree program you should be able to claim somthing, since it would be a add-on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Thanks for that Michael, it's all so confusing!
    Id say going from a three year honours degree to do a 4th year in a 4 year degree program you should be able to claim somthing, since it would be a add-on?

this was the situation for another girl in my class, and she was not entitled to the 4th year free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I have a variant on this question - if someone had been attending a postgraduate research course on free fees and a grant, but had to drop out before it was completed, and was returning after more than five years to a different university to complete the research (for a doctorate or research masters), would they be able to successfully apply for free fees and the grant (assuming they qualified for a grant)?

Would they be entitled to the grant but not fees? Or only a certain number of years of free fees?

I've been asked this, and have no idea of the answer. I've looked online and made a couple of calls and wasn't able to get a straight answer anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I made a big mistake in choosing my course last year. Im hoping to change to a course that is more suited to me. I received the grant for this year and as far I can figure out if I do change course I will have to pay fees for the first year of the new course then I can receive the grant for the remaining 3.

Hope this is the case anyway. Just be very careful and be sure of the degree you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

What if you completed your first degree without a grant?

Are the fees paid if you wait five years to enter the second degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

pierrot wrote: »
    What if you completed your first degree without a grant?

Makes no difference.
    pierrot wrote: »
    Are the fees paid if you wait five years to enter the second degree?

No, not if you have already completed a degree and qualified.

The only way to avail of the second chance scheme is if you left the original course without the qualification and then wait five years before applying to a new course. You cant avail of second chance for a second degree if you already hold the same level of qualification afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

You will be able to claim full free fee's again as a second chance student upon commencment of the course you apply for in 2012 (since it will be 5 years, I am and will be in the same position as yourself). Grant amounts will depend on your income and whether if you are dependent on your family/parents as a Mature student. More information can be found on studentfinances.ie

There have been changes in grants since the last budget and may be more news to come in the future so keep a heads up about it also.

No one has told me anything about this. I got refused a grant cause I was undertaking same level I'd studied before and get hit with full fees. I went to college previously straight out of school. No grants and parents paid reg fees. Now, 6 years later I'm having to pay so this 2nd chance thing didn't happen for me! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 calamity

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Makes no difference.

No, not if you have already completed a degree and qualified.

The only way to avail of the second chance scheme is if you left the original course without the qualification and then wait five years before applying to a new course. You cant avail of second chance for a second degree if you already hold the same level of qualification afaik.

i started college in 2006, completed a year and a half and dropped out.(left with no qualifications) im now looking to go back to college and do a completely different course but obviously cant afford the 6000euro per annum they're looking for. So what your saying now, when 5 years has passed from when i dropped out, i can just apply for 2nd chance and not have to pay full fees???!! just the initial registrations fee? can i dare get my hopes up??!

Advertisement